Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

Putting a Mic very close to the speakers?

(1/5) > >>

robwas:
I didn't see this discussed reading the article and it's probably an unusual situation but at our outdoor concert series I saw someone setup his mics very close to the speakers, maybe 2 or 3' away at best.  it was an outdoor show and the mains were right atop the subs, none of the speakers were flown.  He had his setup pointed to where it would likely pick up both the bass and mains, he said it worked but last time I was going to try this the sound guy strongly suggested I put my mic back farther.  I wonder if anyone has tried this, when I setup my mic in the audience I get people taking and sometimes my stand gets moved so if putting it right up by the speakers is doable it'd be far easier and safer for my gear since I have access to the stage area where others do not.

tia for any thoughts

jefflester:
There's a technique known as "stack taping" where yeah, you basically try to get your mics (whether on a stand or on your body) as close to the PA mains as feasible, but not so close as to close mic one speaker alone and its likely limited frequency range (a sub/woofer, mid-range, horn/tweeter). I've done this a lot as a stealth taper using head mounted omni microphones (Sonic Studios or DPA4061) in club type shows mostly with good success. It is generally a pretty reasonable method to get more direct sound and less audience noise. It certainly has its limitations though; the overall mix might be missing something that there is much higher stage sound for (loud guitar amps on stage, less in the PA), limited stereo imaging (one guitar might be coming more out of one side of the PA and the other guitar coming more out of the side of the stage/PA you are not on), and just more mono in general since the mics are close to one set of speakers so both mics are getting a very similar signal. Note: "stack taping" can mean two different things. One is as just described - get mics as close as reasonable to one of the main PA stacks. The second is also called "Point at Stacks" - which means back in the crowd somewhere, but rather than using one of the stereo mic configurations (DIN, NOS, ORTF, X/Y, etc) each mic is just pointed at each of the stacks. Also known as PAS, for "Point At Stacks."

Some past discussions:
https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=171271.0
https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=155218.0
https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=106986.0
https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=2079.0

Gutbucket:
Need to be very careful to avoid hearing damage due to unsafe SPL levels when operating that close!

--- Quote ---"..but not so close as to [be overly] close mic one speaker alone and its likely limited frequency range (a sub/woofer, mid-range, horn/tweeter)."
--- End quote ---

^This, and sufficiently high SPL handling ability without excess distortion, are the primary concerns balance-wise when very close to a PA speaker.  If a 2-way PA speaker, its usually best to position the mics between the woofer and tweeter horn, staying within the "radiation pattern" of the high-frequency horn. Easy was to estimate that is to look into the horn from the mic position and make sure the horn's thoroat is visible and not obscured by its outside lip. Beyond that the concerns are stage verses PA content (and left verses right PA content) as Jeff also mentions.

When you get it right it can work pretty well, especially for dealing with chatty rooms that are otherwise difficult to make a good recording in. Takes practice like anything else.

Dan33185:
I've done this a few times with great results, just check levels as you'll probably need to lower them from your normal settings.

robwas:
Thanks to everyone for the answers, I'm going to definitely try it and also read the links provided.  As for hearing damage I always wear earplugs, actually invested in some "musicians" ones that attenuate more evenly.  Even if the show is just a little loud they go in, I don't want to lose my hearing and cant' believe I still have decent ears after my youth and many way too loud concerts without them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version