Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How do I get rid of too much bass?  (Read 16826 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: How do I get rid of too much bass?
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2007, 07:04:47 PM »
Audacity has a bass cutoff that starts on 100Hz and then jumps to 330Hz, too much I guess.At least in my case, the 100HZ doesn't cause any audible improvement. The same with Sound Studio.

What function, exactly, are you using in Audacity?  My HPF window provides the following starting frequencies:  1, 49, 97, 145, 193, 241, 289, 337...and so on.

You may also use Audacity's EQ function.  When I look at Audacity's EQ, I'm able to define a HPF starting at any frequency I'd like and defining any user-definable slope (or curve) I'd like:  Effect | Equalization on the main menu opens the dialogue in the attached picture.  Click on the line where you'd like to start the HPF.  The click need not be precise - aftter clicking, you can slide it around to select the frequency at which you'd like to start.  Then click again on the left most point of the line and drag it down to get the slope you'd like.  Or, click multiple times and slide each point to achieve the curve you'd like.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 07:07:02 PM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Dede2002

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2007, 09:44:02 PM »
One more time, thanks a lot for everything.
That's my rig (if can use that word):
Edirol R-09 > SP battery box (of course, no bass roll-off...) > SP-TFB-2 mics. Important: I use the mics ouside the ear. I've just got a brand new pair of Microphone Madness HLSC-1 (Sennheiser Driven) mics. Not able to test them  so far.
Playback system: Wadia 6 (CD player), McCormack Power Drive 1 (power amp)
and B&W 804 speakers (bi-cable).
Usually I tape blues/ blues-rock type music in small or medium size clubs.
Regarding Audacity, I usually go to the Hi Pass filter. Is there any other Audacity tool I can use? Audacity - in theory - is exactly what I need. But I've never been able to use it properly.
It's just that I've taped this amazing concert and just can't listen to it. If I take more bass ( using EQ), everything else left sounds metalic and lifeless. If I take less, my speakers goes crazy with the bass overload.
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2007, 09:50:26 PM »
Regarding Audacity, I usually go to the Hi Pass filter. Is there any other Audacity tool I can use? Audacity - in theory - is exactly what I need. But I've never been able to use it properly.
It's just that I've taped this amazing concert and just can't listen to it. If I take more bass ( using EQ), everything else left sounds metalic and lifeless. If I take less, my speakers goes crazy with the bass overload.

I'm not sure what slope Audacity's HPF uses.  Theoretically, fine-tuning the EQ should allow you to find the middle ground between the two results you note above.  Not much else to say at this point except:  good luck!

And, if Audacity doesn't quite do the trick for you, consider Samplitude SE v8.  It's only $50, sounds better than Audacity, has waaaay more features, better documentation, but does have a bit of a learning curve.
Roland R-05

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2007, 09:51:49 PM »
Audacity has a bass cutoff that starts on 100Hz and then jumps to 330Hz, too much I guess.At least in my case, the 100HZ doesn't cause any audible improvement. The same with Sound Studio.

What function, exactly, are you using in Audacity?  My HPF window provides the following starting frequencies:  1, 49, 97, 145, 193, 241, 289, 337...and so on.

You may also use Audacity's EQ function.  When I look at Audacity's EQ, I'm able to define a HPF starting at any frequency I'd like and defining any user-definable slope (or curve) I'd like:  Effect | Equalization on the main menu opens the dialogue in the attached picture.  Click on the line where you'd like to start the HPF.  The click need not be precise - aftter clicking, you can slide it around to select the frequency at which you'd like to start.  Then click again on the left most point of the line and drag it down to get the slope you'd like.  Or, click multiple times and slide each point to achieve the curve you'd like.

Really appreciate your reply. How can I get to this tool you're refering too on Audacity?
My Hi Pass filter tool starts with "1" and then movers to "330" as cutting frequencies.Another question: once you use the filter ( any filter) what do you do next? Save the file on Desktop? Export the processed file to Desktop? That's what I do. Am I doing something terribly wrong?

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2007, 09:59:00 PM »
Really appreciate your reply. How can I get to this tool you're refering too on Audacity?

Not sure exactly what you're asking here...but I think you're asking how to access the interim frequencies between 1 and 330.  On my version of Audacity, I change focus to the slider by clicking it and sliding the slider all the way left so it reads 1, and then using the keyboard --> and <-- keys to raise or lower the frequency step by step.  I tried doing the same with the mouse/pointer, and couldn't achieve the same precision of movement.

My Hi Pass filter tool starts with "1" and then movers to "330" as cutting frequencies.Another question: once you use the filter ( any filter) what do you do next? Save the file on Desktop? Export the processed file to Desktop? That's what I do. Am I doing something terribly wrong?

After applying the HPF or EQ, or any other editing for that matter, simply Export to WAV, ensuring you have your sample rate, dither, and export options defined properly.  See my Audacity Workflow for tips.
Roland R-05

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2007, 10:11:14 PM »

Not sure exactly what you're asking here...but I think you're asking how to access the interim frequencies between 1 and 330.  On my version of Audacity, I change focus to the slider by clicking it and sliding the slider all the way left so it reads 1, and then using the keyboard --> and <-- keys to raise or lower the frequency step by step.  I tried doing the same with the mouse/pointer, and couldn't achieve the same precision of movement.

After applying the HPF or EQ, or any other editing for that matter, simply Export to WAV, ensuring you have your sample rate, dither, and export options defined properly.  See my Audacity Workflow for tips.

That's a relief. Brian, I can't thank you enough for your time and patience.
I'll try and let you know.
Have a good one

Offline ethan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2007, 11:36:59 AM »
Edirol R-09 > SP battery box (of course, no bass roll-off...) > SP-TFB-2 mics. Important: I use the mics ouside the ear. I've just got a brand new pair of Microphone Madness HLSC-1 (Sennheiser Driven) mics.

I know this is slightly off topic but I feel understanding how the low end gets on the recording in the first place helps avoid post production EQ/HPF'ing.

I think much of your bass is the result of using omni microphones indoors. Sound gets to your ears in three ways: direct, reflected & reverberant. With omni's the later two contribute more to the signal and reverberance more so of the two. Also reverberant sound favors the low end as high frequency sound attenuates faster.

Have you tried running "in your ears" or using a Jecklin disk? I think this may help reduce the amount of reverberant sound getting to each mic and improve the ratio of direct to reverberant.

Do you have the basic battery box or the one with level control?

I can't seem to find any information on the R-09's input impedance nor for the load impedance of the battery/SP-TFB-2 combo. Are you running line in or mic in? Is the bass you get clear or muddy? The latter could be the result of an imput impendance mismatch.
COtapers.org - "We're higher than your average taper"

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2007, 01:49:58 PM »
Edirol R-09 > SP battery box (of course, no bass roll-off...) > SP-TFB-2 mics. Important: I use the mics ouside the ear. I've just got a brand new pair of Microphone Madness HLSC-1 (Sennheiser Driven) mics.

I know this is slightly off topic but I feel understanding how the low end gets on the recording in the first place helps avoid post production EQ/HPF'ing.

I think much of your bass is the result of using omni microphones indoors. Sound gets to your ears in
three ways: direct, reflected & reverberant. With omni's the later two contribute more to the signal and reverberance more so of the two. Also reverberant sound favors the low end as high frequency sound attenuates faster.

Have you tried running "in your ears" or using a Jecklin disk? I think this may help reduce the amount of reverberant sound getting to each mic and improve the ratio of direct to reverberant.

Do you have the basic battery box or the one with level control?

I can't seem to find any information on the R-09's input impedance nor for the load impedance of the battery/SP-TFB-2 combo. Are you running line in or mic in? Is the bass you get clear or muddy? The latter could be the result of an imput impendance mismatch.

You're absolutelly right in your remarks.
I normally running Line In. The bass is pretty much on the clear side. In this particular case, even at the very moment I was taping, the bass was overwhelming.The venue itself has great acoustics, is a brand new theatre. To my ears, the bass player or/and the soundman were excited about the great acoustics and push to much the bass EQ and Volume. Bass was very, very loud.
My Edirol takes care of the level. No level on my battery box.
The omni thing is what made me move to the Sound Madness HLSC-1 mics (cardioids). Also, I got another battery box, this time with Bass Roll-Off. Yes, I've been told that I will not need roll-off with those mics, but I think is always good to have options.
I was not using the mics inside the ear because doing so you end up with a great sounding headphgone sound, but sometimes terrible when listening with speakers. Besides, it's awfull to play marble statue the whole show. You just can't move your head if you don't want to mess up your recording.
Excuse my lack of knowledge, but what exactly do you mean with "impedance mismatch"
Thanks

Offline ethan

• Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2007, 01:57:44 PM »

Excuse my lack of knowledge, but what exactly do you mean with "impedance mismatch"

If you're running line in then there's not much chance of an impedance missmatch. It's a topic for another day.
COtapers.org - "We're higher than your average taper"

Offline vince

• What goes here?
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2007, 01:16:10 PM »
Just wanted to tag along here, this thread is just what I was looking for. I have been out of the game for a while and pulled what I thought was a nice recording last night in a little club called Jammin Java. After reading Ethan's post about avoiding X-Y I know that may have contributed to my boomy recording. I also did not use the rolloff on the mics (AKG 391 Cards) nor did I use the HPF settings on the V3. I was on a mic stand about 8' in X-Y at maybe 70' from the stage standing just slightly to stage left with mics pointing to center stage (right next to the board). Anyway...I have a decent recording (Alternate Routes ad Sons of William) but it is boomy and I was about to start trying the same things DeDe2002  is trying in Audition 2.0. I am thinking of trying the parametric EQ.
Ethan, What config will help in a small room? and Which HPF is better, using the Mics rool off or the V3's.

Peace,

Vince

DPA4061>MMA6000>MT-I 2496
AKG CK91>SE 300 B>opti-V3>Oade BCM PMD671

Offline Krispy D

• my recordings on LMA
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2007, 01:23:37 PM »
Thanks for the tips. It's not that easy though.
Sometimes a file will sound great with heaphones ( after the editing/mastering) and 100% crap with speakers. Very frustrating.Anyway, thanks.

welcome to post production!  this is a great quote for anyone who thinks sound engineers just sit around turning knobs.
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline rdflash

• I am the Mike Jordan of Recordin'
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2007, 01:30:40 PM »
neat topic.
Ted Kennedy has killed more people with his car, than I have with a gun.

Offline aris95

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2016, 07:13:50 AM »

Hello in Audacity program there is menu choice under "Effect" called "Bass and Treble..." and simply dragging the bass slider to the left (minimum bass) cuts the annoying bass off. Clikc Ok, and then Export the .mp3 as a new file

- aris95-

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2016, 05:04:54 AM »
In WaveLab, I normally use the VST Plugin 'MultiBand Compressor' and that way you can easily adjust the lows/mids/highs in 3 sections and can determine where you want the lows/mids/highs to start/end[on certain frequencies is what I mean]! I normally remove -3 to -5db of lows in the lowend section of the MBC, if my recordings need it! But its very easy to do and doesn't take too much time to get right 8)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.105 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com