Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The end of the XLR connector?  (Read 10430 times)

Offline Mike Stranks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
The end of the XLR connector?
« on: October 29, 2016, 10:46:01 AM »
So I was watching a video on the Rode site of an interview with Tony Faulkner about a recording he was about to do in Sydney using exclusively Rode mics. These included two experimental valve omnis with variable pickup pattern according to frequency and some prototype revisions to the venerable NT5.

Talking about the revised NT5s, TF also pointed out that these incorporate a new connector being developed by Neutrik.

Still from the video here:

Pop over to the Rode website to see the interview video and other linked stuff...
The older I get the better I used to be

Offline Bruce Watson

• Taperssection Regular
Re: The end of the XLR connector?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 02:09:00 PM »
So I was watching a video on the Rode site of an interview with Tony Faulkner about a recording he was about to do in Sydney using exclusively Rode mics. These included two experimental valve omnis with variable pickup pattern according to frequency and some prototype revisions to the venerable NT5.

Talking about the revised NT5s, TF also pointed out that these incorporate a new connector being developed by Neutrik.

Yes. The XLR connector is quite old -- it was developed for balanced cables, long before the cell phone / pager era. It does a great job keeping the RFI of its day out of the signal. Not such a great job of keeping the RFI of the current day out.

What Neutrik is working on is a modern connector that can better fight cellphone and other radio transmissions.

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 03:23:26 PM »
I noticed that bit also - thanks for providing the image capture.  While the shell-within-a-shell connection looks great to keep the RFI out, I'm hoping the actually connection points end up being something more robust than what is shown, which looks similar to a Thunderbolt connector.  This reminds me of the currently-produced EtherCon line which puts a relatively flimsy standard Ethernet connector inside an XLR-type shell to beef it up.  Hopefully they are going to be doing more than that here.  I think part of what has made XLR have such longevity is how robust the connection is with those big beefy pins.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Mike Stranks

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 06:17:04 PM »
I noticed that bit also - thanks for providing the image capture.  While the shell-within-a-shell connection looks great to keep the RFI out, I'm hoping the actually connection points end up being something more robust than what is shown, which looks similar to a Thunderbolt connector.  This reminds me of the currently-produced EtherCon line which puts a relatively flimsy standard Ethernet connector inside an XLR-type shell to beef it up.  Hopefully they are going to be doing more than that here.  I think part of what has made XLR have such longevity is how robust the connection is with those big beefy pins.

I agree that it does look like an EtherCon. However, I was somewhat reassured by the satisfying 'kerlunk' when it was reassembled, indicating that there is some serious metalwork in the connectors. Doubtless we shall see when Neutrik bring it to market.

I am so old that I predate XLRs. When I started all pro mics were on Tuchel-DINs. XLRs started to appear early/mid 70s and became ubiquitous for mic connectors on desks/boards about 25-30 years ago. Tuchel-DINs have a nice, secure screw thread, but the smaller ones do have flimsy pins that need treating with respect.
The older I get the better I used to be

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 07:55:43 PM »
Neutrik has been making EMC connectors for several years now to fight against today's noises. I use them but I don't see many other tapers out there using them for field recording.

Check the Nuetrik website for detailed info on their EMC connectors.

These are not that same as referenced in the op. I haven't viewed the video above but the capture looks to me like a digital connector. The Neutrik website will likely have details on those connectors too if they are commercially available.
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 01:54:32 AM »
Neutrik has been making EMC connectors for several years now to fight against today's noises. I use them but I don't see many other tapers out there using them for field recording.

Check the Nuetrik website for detailed info on their EMC connectors.

These are not that same as referenced in the op. I haven't viewed the video above but the capture looks to me like a digital connector. The Neutrik website will likely have details on those connectors too if they are commercially available.

It says the EMC connectors act as a high pass frequency. 

Have you noticed this affect the sound of your recordings in any way, good or bad?
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
02/10 J. Dilla
02/14 Wiliie Waldman & The Chocolate Factory
02/15 Gabe & Giz
02/16 GM5
02/28 Grace Potter

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 04:15:57 PM »

It says the EMC connectors act as a high pass frequency. 

Have you noticed this affect the sound of your recordings in any way, good or bad?

Neutrik's EMC connectors are effectively screening out and minimizing radio frequency (RFI) and electromagnetic interference (EMI). The circular capacitors in the connector are acting as a high-pass filter with a cut-off frequency around 10 MHz.

http://www.neutrik.com/en/xlr/emc-series/nc3mxx-emc
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 08:50:06 PM »
Not specifically intending this as a commercial plug, but Schoeps' XLR-3 cables (KS 5 U = 16.5 ft., KS 10 U = 33 ft., etc.) are made with Neutrik EMC-series connectors on both ends.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 05:58:53 PM »
Not specifically intending this as a commercial plug, but Schoeps' XLR-3 cables (KS 5 U = 16.5 ft., KS 10 U = 33 ft., etc.) are made with Neutrik EMC-series connectors on both ends.

--best regards

The other thing I really like about those cables are the Hytrel cores so they lie flat / hang straight.  If I ever have need for very long runs, the stereo version of that cable is what I would want, although it seems Neutrik does not make a 5-pole version of the EMC XLR connectors.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline EmRR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 07:49:05 PM »
Hmm, I don't see many EMI/RFI cable problems in the field, and when I do they tend to not be cable related, unless the cable is BAD or incorrectly terminated. 

I am so old that I predate XLRs. When I started all pro mics were on Tuchel-DINs. XLRs started to appear early/mid 70s and became ubiquitous for mic connectors on desks/boards about 25-30 years ago. Tuchel-DINs have a nice, secure screw thread, but the smaller ones do have flimsy pins that need treating with respect.

You are in the UK?  Makes sense.  We never had Tuchel here in the USA except on imported mics.  The XLR form factor and mating dates to the 1940's, was definitely in use here in the 1950's, and I believe had entirely taken over the Cannon P, Cannon UA, and Hubbel connectors previously most common by 1960.    I was reading a History of Calrec UK SDC's today, and it was pointed out some used XLR's in the 1960's unlike most.  Here's a set of Cannon 'P' to Cannon 'XLR' adapters for everyones amusement, such as you might need with those 30+ lb 'portable' suitcase mixers made before 1960. 

« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 05:45:42 PM by EmRR »
Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN
Recorders: Zoom F8n, Sony MZ-R50

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.111 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com