Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SP-CMC-4 vs core stealthy cardiod  (Read 7770 times)

Offline Ekib

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: SP-CMC-4 vs core stealthy cardiod
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2006, 02:29:52 AM »
Reading back over some other comments, I see someone sai dthey had a very 'direct' sound.  I think this is true, and I did like that, but at the same time, the sound was kind of, I dunno, processed?  The AT853's arent as direct sounding but sound more natural

If I had a mic that had the directness of the core sound cards and the warmth of the at853, Id be quite happy

That was me making that comment .

I do find the problem with a lot of mic's the lack of directness . I think if you have a decent set up you can easily add a little bit "bass" to the sound . Or I usually switch on the " Loudness " button on my preamp . Not a big deal . I think the Core-Sound card's reproduce the exact live sound in the way that a concert is always "treble "sounding anyway...at full volume there is no such thing as a warm concert sound . It's just not possible at most live concerts . The highs always overrule the lows .
It's fine if people are looking for a " warm " sound but really it's just manipulating the original concert sound . The only way you hear a warmer ( muddier ) sound is when you wear earplugs ( like I always do ) . But the original sound is always very treble .
Therefore I think most Binaural mic's are even further from the truth since they have a ridicilous bass sound . I have heard many binaural recordings and they are sounding so unnatural to me ...and everything but direct . The problem is you can mix whatever you want but you can't ever get a direct sound if it's not direct . While if you are missing some bass you can always add it with a good equalizer / mixer . However the good thing about CSCD's are I never have to do much mixing or anything. Mostly I can leave the tone defeat off and enjoy the recording . Frankly , I hate mixing a live recording . That's another reason I dig CSCD .

Again , it's fine people don't like CSCD...it's all a matter of taste . I just want a mic that picks up the sound as it is . That's all that matters .

I see a few comments from people here comparing the low cost Stealth Core Sound Cards with other mic's . That'; not a fair comparision since it clearly stated on the Core Sound website that these mic's don't have the same specifications as the $ 250 mic's...
But I have to say, I don’t mind it. I do object when I see people sticking microphones up my nose, in the front row. If I see anyone doing that [laughs] I’m going to have security remove them. Because that’s just obnoxious. But I don’t mind if people come and discreetly at the back make a recording of it. And I know that it’s just for their own use, for the superfan.
(Steven Wilson , interview http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php/2011/01/25/interview-steven-wilson-on-audience-taping/ )

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: SP-CMC-4 vs core stealthy cardiod
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2006, 11:29:15 AM »
Ekib,  I feel much differently.  Omni's generally are much more transperant, direct, natural etc....  Only shitty omni's record with too much bass and sound muddy. 

Also,  concerts that have too much trebble are not mixed properly.  A good FOH mix will produce a nice warm sound.  bass is often much louder than the mids and highs. 

You core-sound mics have a tremndous bass roll off and are not representing the sound as it was.  I dissagree completely with your post. 

Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com