Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

671 Mod: Busman or Oade

Busman Transparency
4 (22.2%)
Oade ACM
14 (77.8%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: 671 Mod: Busman or Oade  (Read 3733 times)

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • beep boop
671 Mod: Busman or Oade
« on: May 27, 2008, 10:45:33 AM »
Hello all,

Looking to mod my 671, and checking opinions. I like the ACM 671 a lot, but it's more expensive & will take longer to turnaround than the Busman mod. I haven't heard many Busman mod 671 tapes, since there is not a lot on the Archive.

Thoughts? Opinions?
In: AT853>PMD620
Out: PC>MOTU Ultralite AVB>M-Audio BX8a/Grace m900

DAW: Ableton Live 10

My LMA Recordings

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: 671 Mod: Busman or Oade
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 11:03:42 AM »
id go with busman. he's going to be doing benchwork for alot longer than doug will. cant go wrong with either as far as sound goes.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 11:41:13 AM »
I don't think Doug Oade typically will mod a unit that wasn't purchased from the Oades.  So unless you got your PMD671 from them, you won't have a choice and will have to go with Busman if you want it modded.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • beep boop
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 11:51:49 AM »
I don't think Doug Oade typically will mod a unit that wasn't purchased from the Oades.  So unless you got your PMD671 from them, you won't have a choice and will have to go with Busman if you want it modded.

It is an Oade box originally. Which actually brings up another question- if I have this modded by Busman, will the Oades stil mod it? IE if I ever sell it & someone wants to have it ACM'd? 

My LMA Recordings

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 12:00:26 PM »

It is an Oade box originally. Which actually brings up another question- if I have this modded by Busman, will the Oades stil mod it? IE if I ever sell it & someone wants to have it ACM'd? 

I would be absolutely shocked if Doug would even touch the box if someone else cracked it open and worked on it.  Stranger things have happened though.

It would seem to me that the biggest plus you have right now is that you bought it from Doug.  Get it modded by him.  If you decide you don't dig it then they typically have good resale value.  You can always go back buy a new one and have Busman mod it.  Take advantage of the fact you purchased it from Doug.

Offline deadheaded

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Kind Kables
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 12:11:55 PM »
i respect the heck out of chris and will have him mod my mr-1000.
i would go with doug on this.  he pretty much created this hobby, obsession, and really knows what is going on.
i would trust his hears more than anyone's.
plus like was said before if you don't like it sell and start over.
happy taping
ed
If it's worth getting off the couch, it's worth taping!

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 12:14:45 PM »

I would be absolutely shocked if Doug would even touch the box if someone else cracked it open and worked on it.  Stranger things have happened though.

It would seem to me that the biggest plus you have right now is that you bought it from Doug.  Get it modded by him.  If you decide you don't dig it then they typically have good resale value.  You can always go back buy a new one and have Busman mod it.  Take advantage of the fact you purchased it from Doug.

What he said...

At one point I seem to remember you having a problem with digi-in not working reliably.  Did you figure that out?  If not, I would get that resolved first, because once someone else touches it, Marantz won't touch it then.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • beep boop
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 01:08:37 PM »

What he said...

At one point I seem to remember you having a problem with digi-in not working reliably.  Did you figure that out?  If not, I would get that resolved first, because once someone else touches it, Marantz won't touch it then.

I did, it was definitely the coax connector on the UA5, leading to my various adventures running analog out of the Edirol > line in on the 671 (still haven't quite nailed that one down).

Thanks guys....think I'm gonna go with the ACM. Makes sense to  take advantage of the fact that it is an Oade box.

My LMA Recordings

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 06:25:10 PM »

The 671 is the one exception:

We are now offering our Basic MOD for any PMD671. This cost 150.00 for each machine plus 25.00 for return shipping and insurance via FedEx ground.
We are now offering our Advanced MOD for any PMD671. This cost 225.00 for each machine plus 25.00 for return shipping and insurance via FedEx ground. You must obtain an RMA to send in a machine for this service. Our 90 day limited warranty applies only to the parts we install, not for the entire machine. Please understand our MOD voids the warranty from Marantz so we prefer to upgrade 671's that are out of warranty.

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 06:51:58 PM »
Anyone know the standard warranty on a 671?  Just curious

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 09:55:51 AM »
a year maybe? i dont remember exactly.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline Jammin72

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 07:52:47 PM »
id go with busman. he's going to be doing benchwork for alot longer than doug will. cant go wrong with either as far as sound goes.

My guess is that he'll be working on the bench longer than most folks around here will stick with whatever recorder they purchase today.

;D
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com