Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 671 vs HP2: Which sounds best?  (Read 8836 times)

Offline Gizby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: 671 vs HP2: Which sounds best?
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2007, 04:44:26 PM »
I'm torn between the two. At the aesthetic and practibility level, the screen looks larger on the P2 than the 671, the levels look easy to read. Don't know how much power the screen draws. I'd like to hear what people think on the 671's screen, whether it is easy to see/read and what the levels are like (the levels are especially important to me). Also, since I hope to be doing some sound work on location video shoots, I'd be hoping for whichever unit I choose to pull double duty. I could record separate audio then sync it up later in the editing program. The P2's ability to handle timecode is an attractive feature in that regard. Though, to be honest, I've no idea how useful this will be as I've never worked with timecode before or after recording audio. It'd be nice to hear from some people who have used the timecode. I'd also like to do a fair amount of nature/ambient recording once I get some appropriate microphones and misc. gear, but that's not the most important factor for me. Concert recording and then location sound come first.

And then there is what everybody else is wondering, how do either sound? I'd be getting the ACM for whichever I get. At first I'd be running straight mic-in (how easy is it to adjust levels on-the-fly using either?). And once I save up a little more money, I'll throw a Mini-MP in front. I don't know if I'll ever throw a separate ADC into the chain as I'd imagine either unit can do that well enough. If I ever wanted to run digi-in, I'd probably use my UA-5. I'd rather use my MicroTrack as a bitbucket, though.

So yeah, I'm hoping to pick up either modded unit within the next couple of months. I've read through the other thread, but a year has almost passed since that one was made, so I'm really interested in opinions and answers to my questions.

And she's totally cheating on you.
Mics: DSP mod Oktava MK012s, CAD E100S (2), Studio Projects C4s, SP-CMC-2, Polsen OLM-20
Preamps/BB: Sound Devices MixPre, SP-SPSB-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam DR‑05
Video: Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4

Team SoCal

Offline kgreener

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2007, 06:15:20 PM »
don't forget to check out this thread if you haven't already:

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,74545.0.html

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2007, 10:47:48 PM »
curious..
why spend the $$ for a preamp upgrade (ACM), only to run "line in" w/your apogee, or possibly move to an outboard ADC and end up w/a bit bucket that has $350 worth of upgrades and tweaks that you would not use?

Regarding the Marantz levels.  they are awesome.  best iv'e seen in an LCD screen.  VERY fast.  What looks like -12, you'll see peaks jumping up at -2db.  Its very fast (response time for the meeters).  I haven't acutely used the P2, but the 671 is very slick.  nice menu.  easy to handle in the dark.  very "tweakable" w/the user presets and all.  Of these types of decks, its my favorite.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2007, 10:57:17 PM »
curious..
why spend the $$ for a preamp upgrade (ACM), only to run "line in" w/your apogee, or possibly move to an outboard ADC and end up w/a bit bucket that has $350 worth of upgrades and tweaks that you would not use?

Options!  I got a mod P2, but eventually want to run something in front of it.  It will give me 2 options, one-in-all and bit-bucket.  2 flavors in one, perhaps...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2007, 10:59:34 PM »
I suppose that would be worth it for some folks. 

Offline Gizby

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2007, 04:12:56 AM »
curious..
Because I can think of plenty of places where I wouldn't want to drag around extra equipment. An all-in-one box is quite nice. The Apogee would be for situations where I'd really want some gain or where I just want a little extra "oomph". I doubt I'd ever get an extra ADC.
Mics: DSP mod Oktava MK012s, CAD E100S (2), Studio Projects C4s, SP-CMC-2, Polsen OLM-20

Team SoCal

Offline Gizby

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2007, 08:05:59 PM »
And then there is also the Korg MR-1000, similarly priced to these two modded units. An embarassment of riches. That Korg does look sexy.

I would like to keep this thread active for awhile longer just so I can keep my mind thinking on this subject for as long as possible before putting down over a grand.

Team SoCal

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com