Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 722 'clipping' issues  (Read 2360 times)

Offline moewu4u

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
722 'clipping' issues
« on: December 01, 2007, 06:22:08 PM »
I've been running the 722 for quite a few shows now and have had it act funky on an infrequent number of occasions.  I always run 24/96 w/ mics directly into the unit and set it so that the levels peak occasionally on the first red (-12).  After about an hour into a set and everything appearing to be operating normal, I will notice that the levels start peaking for no reason (i.e. no increase in input, no gain adjustments).  I'll back the gain off to compensate but this will continue to the point that the levels appear normal but the last three red level lights stay constantly lit.  When this happens, the beginning of the recording will sound fine until the 'clipping' occurs and the remainder of the recording sounds like ass. Any ideas?

I was also running an older firmware version but just upgraded to 2.34 and just had this same problem happen again.

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: 722 'clipping' issues
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 07:47:40 PM »
The first thing I can think of is the band is playing louder.  I record plenty low where the yellow/orange come on only rarely.  I can make it louder in post but I have no tool to remove clipping.  :)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline moewu4u

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 08:23:12 PM »
That may be the case and I can try running it a bit lower next time....Last time this happened, the opener, New Mastersounds, came out great. But the headliner, Mofro, was def. much louder and I had to back the levels off to compensate as they started their set.  Initially the levels for Mofro were a little hot (2-3 red lights during peaks) to open the show and I lowered the gain accordingly.  After doing this, everything appeared to be running fine until again about an hour into Mofro's set when I looked down and the last three red lights were constantly lit. It's almost like something kicked on to compensate for those first hot levels during the start of the Mofro set.

Offline moewu4u

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 10:31:29 PM »
Sorry I should had mentioned that I run ccm41s>722.  I have a buddy running the rig this weekend so when I get it back I can run through some tests and then give SD a call if needed.

stevetoney

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 11:14:22 AM »
I think the problem is your avatar.  ;)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 11:19:58 AM »
Sorry I should had mentioned that I run ccm41s>722.

That simplifies things... Do you get this in both channels?  If so then I'd suspect the 722.

You might try playing music into the 722 directly to see if you can reproduce the problem before sending it to SD. They'll probably ask for samples of the problem in the wav file.

Offline moewu4u

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 01:59:45 PM »
Yes, it happens in both channels.  I should had also mentioned that it has happened with other mics too.  I just talked to my buddy who used it last night w/ his neumans and he had the same problem.  First set everything went fine and it sounds great.  Second set everything appeared to be running normal until about an hour into the set when he noticed that the last couple of red level lights stay constantly lit.  I'll call SD tomorrow to see what they think.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 02:15:11 PM »
Very odd...  guess only SD can fix it now.  At this point any diagnostic efforts are just curiosity.

You know how the 722 will print the gain when you change the setting?   When the problem is happening it'd be interesting to know if the displayed gain is higher than it should be. A pot failure could do that.  You could also take the gain controls out of linked mode... and then maybe if it is one bad pot, you'd see it in only one channel.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com