Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F8 - Part 2  (Read 124821 times)

Offline wigglepuppy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Zoom F8 - Part 2 (Gain Link Shortcut & Gain Knobs)
« Reply #105 on: January 09, 2016, 05:36:37 PM »
Zoom, if you are reading this, why not use any other button except the 'stop' 3 combo to access the link/unlink gain function? Someone mentioned the select encoder. That would work for me. I know it can be accessed in the menu but it would be nice to have a safer shortcut. As far as the gain/mix knobs go, how many people would prefer those knobs to be the same as select encoder? I think it would be way easier to have a round knob with 360 degrees of points for your fingers to contact as opposed to just two. Other than that, happy so far.
Ted
Mics: DPA 2011C x 2, Audix SCX25 x 2, Sennheiser MKH8060 x 2, Sennheiser MKH8090 x 2, Schoeps CMC64 x 2, Schoeps MK8, Schoeps CMIT5u, Sennheiser MD421 x 3, MD441 x 2, ADK A51TL x 2, Crown SASSPMK2, Shure KSM32 & Audix STE8 Studio Drum Pack.
Front Ends: Presonus AudioBox iTwo, Sonosax SXM2, SD MP2, Motu Traveler.
Recorders: Edirol R44, Tascam DR680, M-Audio Microtrack, Fostex D5, Fostex CR200.

Offline justme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Zoom F8 - Part 2
« Reply #106 on: January 13, 2016, 08:30:28 AM »
I have no real use for the F8, the DR-680/680mkII would be more then enough and the 70D would probably be perfect.
But the F8 looks as sexy as it can and is packed with performance at a very attractive price.

Offline Ukiah Bass

• Taperssection Newbie
    • The Stormy Weathermen
« Reply #107 on: January 14, 2016, 09:10:04 PM »
Just completed my first project with the Zoom F8.  Works great!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuwLlkqJzco&feature=youtu.be

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #108 on: January 15, 2016, 02:43:51 AM »

WOW Telefunken tubes xy to mic a bass cabinet, now that's unusual! very nice job.
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline 404 Not Found

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #109 on: January 15, 2016, 10:26:15 AM »
Telefunkens sound sweet!....is that an F8 I see recording in the background j/k  of course it is?  Nice recording and video.
Recorders: Alesis HD24XR | Marantz PMD661 (Oade Warm Mod) | Sound Devices 552 |Zoom F8 | Zoom H6
Pre-Amp/Mic Mixers/PS: Sound Devices 552 | Sound Devices MixPre-D | Shure FP33 | Audix APS911's | Audio Technica AT8501
Mics: Telefunken M60 FET MP/TK62's  | Miktek C5 MP's | Neumann  KM100/AK40's AK43's AK45's | Audix M1255B's | Audix M1280B's | Sennheiser K3-U/ME-20's 40's & 80's | Shure VP88
Stands-Poles: Manfrotto 3361 (8') | Manfrotto 1004BAC (13') | K-Tek KE79CC Traveler Boom Pole (1.8 - 6.7' )| K-Tek KEG150CCR Carbon fiber boom pole (12.6')

LMA: https://archive.org/bookmarks/Adam%20Axel

Team Philly!

***Team Telefunken***

Offline Ukiah Bass

• Taperssection Newbie
    • The Stormy Weathermen
« Reply #110 on: January 15, 2016, 05:01:09 PM »

WOW Telefunken tubes xy to mic a bass cabinet, now that's unusual! very nice job.

Yeah, the M60s are now my "best" mics but I've tried a bunch and despite expectations, was very pleased the M60 stereo pair on my bass cab did the best job.  I tried using just one M60 and it sounded a bit thin. But the stereo pair was superb, perhaps because I am using a 2-way cab with a super fine crossover.  Whatever.  Goes to show one should not be judgmental and be willing to experiment with mics and positioning.

FWIW, the other mics I've tried include a Sennheiser MD421, an ElectroVoice RE-20, Shure SM57, and one of the original AKG Perception 400s (large diaphragm condenser).  Of these, I prefer the Perception 400 in cardioid mode; the MD421 is a close second to that.  The X/Y pair of M60s beats everything hands down.

Offline ArchivalAudio

« Reply #111 on: January 18, 2016, 10:42:29 PM »
I am a sucker...
I ordered one on Saturday from Amazon it arrived on Sunday! I waited until Saturday since I was going to be out of town, until Monday. I have prime and had a bunch of points because of my Amazon bank card so I too the leap!
I was hoping it would arrive today Monday as I just returned home but I received a notification that it was delivered yesterday. One day shipping for free was pretty sweet. The box was at our door when we arrived home! It's clod so i am waiting until it reached room temp until I check it out.
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak

Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

stevetoney

« Reply #112 on: January 19, 2016, 07:58:02 AM »
I am a sucker...
I ordered one on Saturday from Amazon it arrived on Sunday! I waited until Saturday since I was going to be out of town, until Monday. I have prime and had a bunch of points because of my Amazon bank card so I too the leap!
I was hoping it would arrive today Monday as I just returned home but I received a notification that it was delivered yesterday. One day shipping for free was pretty sweet. The box was at our door when we arrived home! It's clod so i am waiting until it reached room temp until I check it out.

Nice.  You'll love it. 

Don't forget to install the latest firmware and you'll have channel ganging capability. 

If I might make a suggestion, you also might want to consider getting a pair (or two or three pairs) of these...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio2000s-E23103-3-Ft-1-4-TS-Right-Angle-to-XLR-Female-Microphone-Cable-/221395387092?hash=item338c3182d4:g:kFUAAMXQyY1TSGpi

The key feature of these cables, of course, is they're right angle TRS.  If you record really loud shows, you'll find the extra headroom using Line In to be needed.  At first I didn't like that I had to buy new cables in order to use the Line In function of the Zoom F8, but now that I have right angle TRS connectors going into the recorder, I actually love them because they rotate freely in the recorder so I can adjust the exit angle to any angle I need.

Anyway, these Audio2000 cables are inexpensive, well made, and come in lengths of I think 1, 3, 6, 12, and 25 feet.  Pay attention to whether you need male or female XLR on the one end.  Just search ebay for other listings for the various combo's of lengths and/or connectors.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 08:04:45 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #113 on: January 19, 2016, 12:01:05 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Those are TS not TRS, don't you want to keep your signals balanced?
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #114 on: January 19, 2016, 12:11:54 PM »
I noticed they weren't TRS as well but still ordered a pair to have in the bag, curious to hear everyone's thoughts on them.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline ArchivalAudio

« Reply #115 on: January 19, 2016, 12:14:18 PM »
I am a sucker...

Nice.  You'll love it. 

Don't forget to install the latest firmware and you'll have channel ganging capability. 

If I might make a suggestion, you also might want to consider getting a pair (or two or three pairs) of these...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio2000s-E23103-3-Ft-1-4-TS-Right-Angle-to-XLR-Female-Microphone-Cable-/221395387092?hash=item338c3182d4:g:kFUAAMXQyY1TSGpi

The key feature of these cables, of course, is they're right angle TRS.  If you record really loud shows, you'll find the extra headroom using Line In to be needed.  At first I didn't like that I had to buy new cables in order to use the Line In function of the Zoom F8, but now that I have right angle TRS connectors going into the recorder, I actually love them because they rotate freely in the recorder so I can adjust the exit angle to any angle I need.

Anyway, these Audio2000 cables are inexpensive, well made, and come in lengths of I think 1, 3, 6, 12, and 25 feet.  Pay attention to whether you need male or female XLR on the one end.  Just search ebay for other listings for the various combo's of lengths and/or connectors.
Thanks! I downloaded the firmware, need to install it.
Now only if they had an android app . perhaps I can get a refurbed iPad mini for the sole purpose of remote control... I am an all Mac man except have an android Republic Wireless phone. no ipads (except my wife's and I dont see her wanting me to take it to shows. Oh and I do have ubuntu linux dell laptop for travel... but don't do windoz except at work... :(

The photo of those cables in the link are only TS not TRS  which I know will work fine and the Right Angle is cool, but not "balanced".  I've got some of these while not right angle they are nice and can be ordered in many colors http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XK9I3XY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00 & http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XK9JDGK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00 which help out for ins and outs from boards or used to be helpful on the DR-680 ch 5&6 to run balanced and Phantom  via TRS.
Q? does the F8 pass the Phantom on the TRS I see it's noted as -20db line in which would me think not.
I've also got some of their starquad cables also well built and inexpensive with "Neutrik" style gold xlr ends in various lengths and colors, easy to track cable runs and also identifiable.: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WZQGGXW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

--Ian
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 12:21:42 PM by ArchivalAudio »
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

stevetoney

« Reply #116 on: January 19, 2016, 12:14:52 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sorry about that.  Yes, I bought foot long TS cables to run between my preamp and my F8.

stevetoney

« Reply #117 on: January 19, 2016, 12:38:13 PM »

Thanks! I downloaded the firmware, need to install it.
Now only if they had an android app . perhaps I can get a refurbed iPad mini for the sol purpose of remote control... I am an all Mac man except have an android Republic Wireless phone. no ipads (except my wife's and I dont see her wanting me to take it to shows. Oh and I do have ubuntu linux dell laptop for travel... but don't do windoz except at work... :(

The photo of those cables in the link are only TS not TRS  which I know will work fine and the Right Angle is cool, but not "balanced".  I've got some of these while not right angle they are nice and can be ordered in many colors http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XK9I3XY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00 & http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XK9JDGK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00 which help out for ins and outs from boards or used to be helpful on the DR-680 ch 5&6 to run balanced and Phantom  via TRS.
Q? does the F8 pass the Phantom on the TRS I see it's noted as -20db line in which would me think not.
I've also got some of their starquad cables also well built and inexpensive with "Neutrik" style gold xlr ends in various lengths and colors, easy to track cable runs and also identifiable.: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WZQGGXW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

From a quick review of the manual, it looks to me like phantom is not available from the Line In connection.  Page 137 provides specifications and phantom is defined under the XLR inputs only.  Also, FWIW on Page 7 it doesn't say anything about mics being connected directly via line in...it shows keyboards and mixer.

As far as the app goes, I currently have an iphone but I want to go back to a droid in the worst way.  I'm strongly considering buying a used later generation ipod touch and just dedicating that to my gear bag as a sorta remote for my recorder.  Unless I'm mistaken, the later gen ipod touches have bluetooth, whereas the early gens don't.  That's probably a much cheaper option than a used ipad as well.  Now that I've gotten used to using the smaller screen on the iphone, I like the size and convenience of having it in my pocket at the show.  I think an ipad or even one of the smaller tablets might get overbearing to deal with at a show.  Alot probably depends on whether you're out in the audience like I usually am or back out of the crowd at the board and have someplace to stash your ipad when it's not in use. 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 12:42:15 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #118 on: January 19, 2016, 01:19:45 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sorry about that.  Yes, I bought foot long TS cables to run between my preamp and my F8.

This seems like a big mistake to me. Why own balanced equipment only to forgo all the benefits by buying the wrong cable?
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 01:32:01 PM by jbell »
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com