Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F8 - Part 2  (Read 124821 times)

Offline 404 Not Found

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Zoom F8 - Part 2
« Reply #60 on: December 25, 2015, 06:18:19 PM »
Firmware update for the F8 is now up on the Zoom NA site. Just saw the notice on FB.  Can't paste the link, as I'm using a Kindle Fire at the moment.
Recorders: Alesis HD24XR | Marantz PMD661 (Oade Warm Mod) | Sound Devices 552 |Zoom F8 | Zoom H6
Pre-Amp/Mic Mixers/PS: Sound Devices 552 | Sound Devices MixPre-D | Shure FP33 | Audix APS911's | Audio Technica AT8501
Mics: Telefunken M60 FET MP/TK62's  | Miktek C5 MP's | Neumann  KM100/AK40's AK43's AK45's | Audix M1255B's | Audix M1280B's | Sennheiser K3-U/ME-20's 40's & 80's | Shure VP88
Stands-Poles: Manfrotto 3361 (8') | Manfrotto 1004BAC (13') | K-Tek KE79CC Traveler Boom Pole (1.8 - 6.7' )| K-Tek KEG150CCR Carbon fiber boom pole (12.6')

LMA: https://archive.org/bookmarks/Adam%20Axel

Team Philly!

***Team Telefunken***

Offline scorsesefan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #61 on: December 25, 2015, 06:36:50 PM »
I just noticed this comment in an F8 review on BH: 3. The input channel gain is controlled digitally, so changing gain, especially quickly, results in "zipper" noise, which will be recorded. Normally, the gain should be pre-adjusted and then left alone during a recording session, so this should not be an issue, but if you find you're recording "too-hot" and need to make a gain adjustment, it's important to know that this may result in some noise.

Is the reviewer saying that the Zoom has digital pots and that when you adjust the trim there is stepping noise? This was the case with the original Tascam DR-60D and was a significant problem for many users. This is a little concerning, especially for someone like me who does run n' gun documentary and does have to adjust trim "on the fly" in unpredictable sound environments.

Maybe the reviewer -- Lotus 7 can elaborate if he/she is on the forum? Thanks.

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #62 on: December 25, 2015, 07:32:59 PM »
Firmware update for the F8 is now up on the Zoom NA site. Just saw the notice on FB.  Can't paste the link, as I'm using a Kindle Fire at the moment.

Trim link was added!?!? What? The ability to gang channel's & use one input knob to adjust gain? Sweet!

https://zoom-na.com/sites/default/files/products/downloads/pdfs/E_F8v2.00.pdf
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #63 on: December 25, 2015, 08:53:51 PM »
From the Zoom FaceBook page:
In the short period of time the new ‪#‎ZoomF8‬ has been available, we have received some great feedback. Here’s a link to 14 improvements that we think you’ll like…a lot.
https://zoom-na.com/F8_Firmware-v2

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and a very Happy Holiday.
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #64 on: December 25, 2015, 11:50:59 PM »
Here's the list of improvements.  There is a Santa!

"In the short period of time the new Zoom F8 has been available, we have received some great feedback. Here are 14 improvements that we think you’ll like…a lot.

1.   Added Trim Knob option that enables adjusting fader/pan settings with input trim knobs.
2.   Added the function of moving the previously recorded take to the new FALSE TAKE folder.
3.   Expanded Function Shortcuts as well as Shortcut List Menu.
4.   Added the function of selecting alphabet letters for the scene number.
5.   Added Trim Link function for adjusting the input levels of multiple tracks simultaneously.
6.   Added the function of editing track name in Meta data.
7.   Added the function of showing track names on the level meters.
8.   Added the function that enables selecting “Scene_***” for the format of take name.
9.   Added the function of adjusting L/R track volume.
10.   Added SOLO function that enables monitoring signals of specific tracks only during playback.
11.   Added sound report function for exporting CSV format file including recorded take information, etc.
12.   Changed the location of Next Take menu on MENU>REC>Next Take to MENU>META DATA (for next take).
13.   Added the function of applying edits of the selected card to the other card when two SD cards are inserted.
14.   Changed the track order of Poly WAV recorded files from Tr1, Tr2, …, Tr8, L, R to L, R, Tr1, Tr2, …, Tr8.

You can download the Zoom F8 Firmware v2.00 here: https://zoom-na.com/products/field-video-recording/field-recording/zoom-f8-multitrack-field-recorder#downloads

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and a very Happy Holiday, from your friends at Zoom"
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

stevetoney

« Reply #65 on: December 26, 2015, 07:20:33 AM »
Yep.  Channel linking added.  Yay!

Offline Len Moskowitz (Core Sound)

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Core Sound
« Reply #66 on: December 26, 2015, 07:06:40 PM »
Can you set up two groups of ganged controls? For example gang four channels together, controlled by one knob, and another four by another knob?
Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com

stevetoney

« Reply #67 on: December 26, 2015, 09:52:22 PM »
Can you set up two groups of ganged controls? For example gang four channels together, controlled by one knob, and another four by another knob?

I'm not home from holidays yet so i haven't installed the update to check this directly on my unit, but if i interpret the revised menu diagrams and instructions properly, the user is provided with the ability to set up as many as four different user defined gang configurations (named group A, B, C, or D).  For the selected group, the trim knob of the lowest numbered channel in the group controls the entire group.  The one unfortunate caveat is the instructions say that no single channel can appear in more than one group.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 09:54:50 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline Len Moskowitz (Core Sound)

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Core Sound
« Reply #68 on: December 26, 2015, 11:09:45 PM »
I'm not home from holidays yet so i haven't installed the update to check this directly on my unit, but if i interpret the revised menu diagrams and instructions properly, the user is provided with the ability to set up as many as four different user defined gang configurations (named group A, B, C, or D).  For the selected group, the trim knob of the lowest numbered channel in the group controls the entire group.

That's very promising - thanks!

We have an F8 coming, so we'll test it ourselves over the next week or so.
Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com

Offline efksound

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2015, 08:57:49 AM »
I just made a cheat sheet with the new added shortcut functions, in case those of you want to print it & stick it on the top of your recorder  :D

Offline scorsesefan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2015, 10:17:36 AM »
SOS (Sound on Sound) review of the f8: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec15/articles/zoom-f8.htm

Offline Sonus Captor

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #71 on: December 29, 2015, 06:29:53 AM »
I just noticed this comment in an F8 review on BH: 3. The input channel gain is controlled digitally, so changing gain, especially quickly, results in "zipper" noise, which will be recorded. Normally, the gain should be pre-adjusted and then left alone during a recording session, so this should not be an issue, but if you find you're recording "too-hot" and need to make a gain adjustment, it's important to know that this may result in some noise.

Is the reviewer saying that the Zoom has digital pots and that when you adjust the trim there is stepping noise? This was the case with the original Tascam DR-60D and was a significant problem for many users. This is a little concerning, especially for someone like me who does run n' gun documentary and does have to adjust trim "on the fly" in unpredictable sound environments.

I'm also a bit concerned about the stepping noise issue. That would be a dealbreaker and is not acceptable at this price point. Tonedeaf didn't mention any "zipper" noise in his review, though.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 06:42:16 AM by Sonus Captor »

Offline scorsesefan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #72 on: December 29, 2015, 09:28:10 AM »

I'm also a bit concerned about the stepping noise issue. That would be a dealbreaker and is not acceptable at this price point. Tonedeaf didn't mention any "zipper" noise in his review, though.

No, he didn't. In fact, the BH reviewer is the only one to my knowledge to mention it. Maybe just an issue with his unit?...

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #73 on: December 29, 2015, 10:34:03 AM »

Yeah, I've adjusted levels on it, both using the knobs and using the bluetooth app, and not had this issue.

No, he didn't. In fact, the BH reviewer is the only one to my knowledge to mention it. Maybe just an issue with his unit?...
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #74 on: December 29, 2015, 11:00:32 AM »

That would be a dealbreaker and is not acceptable at this price point.

This is a common issue with digitally controlled gain. There are units that cost 4x as much that do this.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com