Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom capsule  (Read 1591 times)

Offline carpa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Zoom capsule
« on: September 11, 2020, 07:08:22 AM »
Just a question regarding some of the Zoom interchangeable capsules.
First, in the advertising of the new H8 recorder a new Capsule System 2.0 is announced. There should also be an X-Y module...just wondering how it could compare to the stock H6 X-Y?

Second, thinking about the EXH-6 module ( the 2 XLR extra input with no phantom) the specs say " 5v preamps for low distortion" or something like this. Somewhere I've read that this preamps are maybe hotter compared to the stock XLR's on the H6. This makes me wonder if there is any comparison possible between H6's stock preamps in terms of quality or if they are just the same. If hotter means the same noise at just a lower gain it makes no difference, of course.

Third ( and probably stupid question): in the M-S module is possible to adjust the width of the stereo image. Setting the side capsule to a very low or even 0 setting, does it means that a mono recording will come out?

thanks all

None of these capusules are professional grade, of course; nonetheless they can be shared by both F and H series, so maybe useful for to know something more.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 09:12:47 AM by carpa »

Offline fguidry

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Kaleponi - Slack Key in California
Re: Zoom capsule
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 03:07:03 PM »
Third ( and probably stupid question): in the M-S module is possible to adjust the width of the stereo image. Setting the side capsule to a very low or even 0 setting, does it means that a mono recording will come out?

Yes, 0 side results in mono. And gets rid of the side mic(s) self-noise (grin).

Fran

Offline carpa

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 06:38:56 PM »
Thanks Fran,

I wasn't 100% sure about the mono thing, but I also noticed that reducing the side mic of the Zoom capsule makes noise decrease; at 0 or so the noise is not a problem any more even at decent levels. Of course there is no stereo image involved, but it can be a spot option while capturing the field with a stereo pair.

Did you have the possibility to compare the EXH-6 preamps vs stock internal Zoom H6's ( if you own the module, of course)?
Carlo

Offline fguidry

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Kaleponi - Slack Key in California
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 01:03:07 AM »
I don't have this module, sorry.

Fran

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 10:19:28 AM »
Unless you do not plan any post production of the recording, when you use an MS mic, it may be best to record equal amounts of mid and side, aiming to modulate both the tracks well for lowest noise, and then vary the width to taste in the DAW afterwards.  That can include simply muting the 'side' track if you decide you only want mono / mid.   But if you did that when recording in the first place, you would have no scope for changing your mind later to add some stereo width.  It's a bit like setting a digital camera so that it processes the image in-camera to black and white - you're stuck with that if you wanted colour later.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com