Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Taping my first festival  (Read 159 times)

Offline Pieteker

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Taping my first festival
« on: Yesterday at 04:05:33 PM »
Hi,

I'll be taping my first festival this summer at Beach Festival, Nieuwpoort in Belgium. I plan to use my AT-853s with windscreens to capture some of the acts on the bill. I was wondering if you could share any tips or experiences on getting a good recording, such as ideal location, mic placement, and so on.

Looking forward to your insights!

Thanks,
Pieter

Offline u2_fly_2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Taping my first festival
« Reply #1 on: Today at 12:33:31 PM »
If possible try to locate yourself close to the soundboard area...and get the mics high up...on a hat or something similar...and try to avoid talkers and screamers if possible...and donĀ“t drink too much unless you know you will have a planned break between the sets...have fun and good luck!
Soundprofessionals Audio Technica AT 943 (SP-CMC-8) External Stereo Microphones > SP-SPSB-10-80020
Sound Professionals Micro-mini microphone power supply with mini 12vdc battery and 24 inch hardwired output cable Soundprofessionals Batterybox >> Olympus Ls-10 Linear Recorder > 4 GB > 24 Bit / 48 Khz  > 24 Bit / 96 Khz

Zoom Q3 HD - 1080p / 96-24 Bit

Roland R-26 (96 / 24 Bit)

Sony PCM-D100 (192 / 24 Bit)

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #2 on: Today at 12:53:43 PM »
I like to walk around the best I can to find the "sweet spot" for the sound during an opening band.

Depending on the placement of the soundboard I like to set up directly BEHIND the soundboard if it's close enough to still have decent sound back there. The board area will provide a buffer to talkers in front of you, thus reducing chatter on your recording. I prefer a slightly more distant recording over having people talking near me. Obviously if the soundboard has a covering over it, then it will block the sound, so then no go.

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:04:12 PM »
AT-853s with card or omni caps?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com