Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Thinking of running a 3 mic setup this summer...  (Read 4673 times)

Offline salmonite

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
Thinking of running a 3 mic setup this summer...
« on: May 10, 2009, 01:30:23 PM »
Well,

I have a nice summer outdoor taping schedule, and would like to try some 3 mic action. I am running AKG 414's right now, and depending on the situation, would probably run cards or hypers w/a center omni. Can anyone reccomend a nice open sounding omni that would go good w/the 414's? I would like to either go with an AKG or a true omni i.e. Earthworks or Avenson (Why'd I sell those dang things :banging head:), However I don't have the Earthworks type of cash @ this juncture. All opinions welcome & thanks in advance.

-Tyler

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
Re: Thinking of running a 3 mic setup this summer...
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 06:50:03 AM »
Here is a indoor recording using a 462.

http://www.archive.org/details/brew2008-11-12.414-ck62.flac

The Brew Live at Paradise Rock Club on 2008-11-12 - The Brew
Disc 1 - Set 1 01 Machine 02 I do Believe 03 Faces 04 Seen it All 05 Looking Down 06 Who's the Boss Thanks to Joe & The rest of the Brew crew for the taper guest spot Opened for Tea Leaf Green
Source: 2-AKG c414b(DINa,Hyper,ROC,Balcony) + 1-AKG c460b/a61/ck62(AB,Omni,ROC,Balcony) > BM T-Mod R-4 (Mono,24/48)
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics:
Schoeps: CMC6 x 4, CMC1K x 2, KC 5G x 2, MK4,MK4V,MK41,MK21,MK22,MK8 x 2
Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+
Telefunken: TF-11 x 2, ELA M 260 x 4, M960FS x 2, TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2, M60,TK60 x2
AKG: c426b, AKG c34, nBob Actives>PFA x4, CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2
AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres:
Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs:
Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 09:20:49 AM »
I would pick up the 451 and ck2 in the yard

or

James' 460 body for a hundee and find a cap for it (ie ask Ted)

or

You can borrow my ADK TL whenever you want, I only use it for M/S once a month maybe.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

easy jim

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 02:09:10 PM »
I would pick up the 451 and ck2 in the yard

or

<snip>

You can borrow my ADK TL whenever you want, I only use it for M/S once a month maybe.

Either of these would be a good option, IMO...with the small diaphragm 451/ck2 being generally better IMO for PA taping and high end response than the LD mics.  My extra 460 body is now sold pp to momule, so it's unfortunately out of the running here.  Of the AKG SD omni mics, I prefer the 451/2 bodies and the vintage capsules over the ck62 and/or the 460 bodies.

Offline mblindsey

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 05:59:36 PM »

Also, what you would pay for a Naiant (http://www.naiant.com/studiostore/microphones.html) is less than what some spend for beer at a show.  Just an another very economical option that I use in my mix sometimes...

--Michael
Mics:  Microtech Gefell m200/M20/nBob Actives>PFA, CA-11
Pre's: USB Pre2, 1x V3, 2x V3 w/optimod, MP2, Church Ugly
Decks: SD MixPre 6 II, R44 Oade Concert Mod, M10
Playback: Grace m9xx->Sen HD 650, Fostex TH-X00, HIFIMAN HEXX
Mixing: RME Fireface UFX->Reaper/Izotope->Yamaha HS8

jnorman34

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 06:32:53 PM »
hiya tyler - shameless plug: i have a LNIB pair of AT4022 omnis for $400 in the yardsale. 

Offline salmonite

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 02:03:11 PM »
Also, what you would pay for a Naiant (http://www.naiant.com/studiostore/microphones.html) is less than what some spend for beer at a show.  Just an another very economical option that I use in my mix sometimes...

I was looking at the Naiant line. Any reccomendations on which mic to use in this situation?

Offline mblindsey

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 03:00:38 PM »

I was looking at the Naiant line. Any reccomendations on which mic to use in this situation?

I have the XT, but there are a couple of new models out since I bought mine.  I sent an email and asked which would be best, but the answer may have changed due to the newer stuff.  PM 'mshilarious' or email from the site.

When I mix in the omni, it's usually just a little.  Sometimes it adds goodness, other times not (soo many variables).  But, buying one and running it doesn't cost you much...and, experimenting is fun.

--Michael
Mics:  Microtech Gefell m200/M20/nBob Actives>PFA, CA-11
Pre's: USB Pre2, 1x V3, 2x V3 w/optimod, MP2, Church Ugly
Decks: SD MixPre 6 II, R44 Oade Concert Mod, M10
Playback: Grace m9xx->Sen HD 650, Fostex TH-X00, HIFIMAN HEXX
Mixing: RME Fireface UFX->Reaper/Izotope->Yamaha HS8

Offline esteyes1

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 06:42:59 AM »
i've been running sennheiser and akg 3 mic mixes for a long time. james can testify. usually guns on the outside, card or hyper up the middle. sometimes long guns CK9 or ME88 with short gun ME80 or CK8 up the middle. also i tend to use one brand on the outside and a different brand up the middle.

neil

easy jim

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 11:16:11 PM »
^ You bet Neil.  It was hearing your 3mic stuff that inspired me to try it.

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 07:19:34 PM »
So when you run the 3 mics, the "3rd" mic is panned equally to L and R channels, i assume? But set a little lower in the mix? Is this right?

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 08:54:31 PM »
Well,

I have a nice summer outdoor taping schedule, and would like to try some 3 mic action. I am running AKG 414's right now, and depending on the situation, would probably run cards or hypers w/a center omni.
-Tyler

I've run the NAKs like this a few times......bring a niiice set of closed-ear headphones, and you'll hear just when the center omni level seems right ---- like about 15-30% of the outside cards' levels.......

http://www.archive.org/details/nrps2007-09-22.nak303.flac16

http://www.archive.org/details/donna2008-02-08.naks303.flac16

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=525275

Have fun... :D
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 09:05:47 PM by capnhook »
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 12:03:41 AM »
Can I timidly raise my hand in the back of the room here and ask why on Earth anyone would want to place an omni coincident with a pair of X/Y cardioids? Any cardioid has 50% pressure response (= omni). Thus a pair of coincident cardioids--regardless of the angle between their axes--gives you a stereo pickup in which a MINIMUM of 50% of the output of the two microphones is the same signal. And that minimum case occurs if you place the cardioids back-to-back; when you set a more reasonable angle between the cardioids, the cardioid patterns overlap so that there's even less difference between the right and left signals. The more this cross-blending occurs, the closer all apparent sound sources move toward the center in playback.

If, despite being aware of all this, you're still going to add an omni to an X/Y cardioid pair, I have two suggestions:

(1) Apply a low-pass filter (say, at 100 Hz or lower) to the omni's signal before you split it out to the left and right, so that you're only extending the low frequency range of the X/Y pair--not utterly trashing the (usually already marginal) midrange stereo separation.

(2) If deep low-frequency pickup is your main motivation, be sure to use a pressure transducer--which some of the microphones mentioned previously in this thread are not. No dual-diaphragm, switchable-pattern capsule is a pressure transducer in its omnidirectional setting; that type of microphone won't have the flat, extended low-frequency response that you're looking for.

--best regards
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 08:13:16 AM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 01:59:36 AM »
DSatz- I certainly can't speak for Tyler but I can say I've never seen him run coincident patterns...only near coincident. That was suggested by someone else.

While it might not make much sense in theory.... in practice adding a center omni with with near coincident cardioids or a center hyper with near coincident sub cards can add a whole new dimension when approached with a light touch in post production.

You are (of course) entirely correct about using a proper pressure transducer for the best low end response. My offer of the dual diaphram ADK was my third of three suggestion and offered since...well....it's free.

Tyler- I'm moving to STL on the 13th or so...give me a shout out if you are coming through town and want to borrow something for 'Roo or whatever (AKGs,ADK,whatever)
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2009, 09:14:15 AM »
Ah, then, in my best Emily Litella voice, I will say ... "never mind." But I'll leave my incredulous rant up anyway, just in case it might irritate someone some day. I still can't believe that people record music with X/Y cardioids at 90 degrees, and will no doubt go to my grave still mumbling about that.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2009, 08:39:33 PM »
Well,

I have a nice summer outdoor taping schedule, and would like to try some 3 mic action. I am running AKG 414's right now, and depending on the situation, would probably run cards or hypers w/a center omni.
-Tyler

I've run the NAKs like this a few times......bring a niiice set of closed-ear headphones, and you'll hear just when the center omni CARD level seems right ---- like about 15-30% of the outside cards' levels.......

http://www.archive.org/details/nrps2007-09-22.nak303.flac16

http://www.archive.org/details/donna2008-02-08.naks303.flac16

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=525275

Have fun... :D

CORRECTION ---- The recordings above were done omni-card-omni, not as suggested in the original posting.  Sorry for any confusion.  Proud member of Team Old Farts. :-\
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com