Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 5  (Read 124478 times)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 5
« Reply #420 on: December 20, 2018, 04:18:26 PM »
I'm using:

Basic gain
Advanced recording
Advanced channel

and going line in, not mic in.

Thanks for the suggestions, but the best thing for me will be to use my littlebox in front of it. I'll use that knobs on the pre-amp and it'll work great.

I use advanced mode. When you choose channel five or six (I use the * buton) you can see the level in the channel "window" of the screen as you adjust the volume with the "headset" knob on the side. I dont use the cutsom mode strategy so you can use the Channel knobs for setting ISO level. Since there are not six channel knows, how does this work for 5 and six - do you still have to use the "headset" knob?

Yes, the way I operate it I use the headphones knob for gain on 5 & 6. I use the "*" button to toggle between  5 & 6 screens. Operated this way you are setting the gain on 5 & 6 blind with that headphone knob. There are no meters visible. But, like I said, having a pre-amp with gain knobs going into 5 & 6 makes it work just fine.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #421 on: December 20, 2018, 04:23:08 PM »
I'm using:

Basic gain
Advanced recording
Advanced channel

and going line in, not mic in.

Thanks for the suggestions, but the best thing for me will be to use my littlebox in front of it. I'll use that knobs on the pre-amp and it'll work great.

I use advanced mode. When you choose channel five or six (I use the * buton) you can see the level in the channel "window" of the screen as you adjust the volume with the "headset" knob on the side. I dont use the cutsom mode strategy so you can use the Channel knobs for setting ISO level. Since there are not six channel knows, how does this work for 5 and six - do you still have to use the "headset" knob?

Yes, the way I operate it I use the headphones knob for gain on 5 & 6. I use the "*" button to toggle between  5 & 6 screens. Operated this way you are setting the gain on 5 & 6 blind with that headphone knob. There are no meters visible. But, like I said, having a pre-amp with gain knobs going into 5 & 6 makes it work just fine.

I understand your solution is to use a Pre, I was/am curious as to the problem. In advanced mode there is a meter there. I wonder if this a bug or a byproduct of their custom mode to use channel knobs for ISO level hack (not a bug per se but something thats hard to get around)
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline dominicperry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #422 on: December 20, 2018, 05:01:20 PM »
Does anyone know why the MixPre 3/3M doesn't have combo sockets? I'm assuming you can still run line-ins, you just need XLR cables?

Dominic

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
« Reply #423 on: December 20, 2018, 08:31:03 PM »
Can't find the answer to this in the thread, so pardon the repeat question:

The manual for the MP-3 states 'The MixPre-3 can record up to five audio tracks...'

So can one send the aux in to the mix tracks w/out the ISO's? Or is there some other way, or is it only 5 if you do a hot mix of the 3 ISO's onto the mix tracks along with the aux pair?

Or should I just have gotten the 6? :)

~Chris

I was curious about this after reading your comment so I looked at the manual.  It appears to me that the five tracks are the three ISOs and the LR mix.  Hopefully someone who has more familiarity with the MP3 will correct me if I'm wrong.

You are correct.  It is not a 4 channel deck.
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
02/10 J. Dilla
02/14 Wiliie Waldman & The Chocolate Factory
02/15 Gabe & Giz
02/16 GM5
02/28 Grace Potter

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #424 on: December 21, 2018, 10:03:46 AM »
I really like my MP-6. It sounds great and becomes more intuitive the longer you use it. So, I'm going to start using channels 5-6 more. It doesn't look like there is any way to view the meters as you set the gain on those channels. Is that right or am I missing something? If that's the case I'll just run the line in (SBD) to channels 3-4 and use a portable mic preamp in front of channels 5-6 so I can adjust levels and see what's going on. I also like the new pre-roll feature.

you'll see the meter change on the screen as you're tapping the up and down arrows for channels 5/6.

Nope. As soon as I turn the headphone knob to raise or lower the volume the meter disappears. It'll work fine if a just put a pre-amp in front of it.

sorry, but i don't know what you're talking about. when i go to the screen for channels 5 and 6 and tap "gain" with a set of mics plugged in to 5/6 and then tap the arrows up or down, i see the level meter in the top left hand corner of the screen adjust to my changes and it stays there as long as i'm viewing that screen. it doesn't disappear. perhaps we're talking about different screens?

also, i just noticed while checking this that channels 5 and 6 now max out at 40db of gain. i can't remember what the max was on v2.21 but i'm pretty sure it was higher than 40. does anyone remember what it was on v2.21?

I can tell you when I get home tonight.

To follow up. it was 40db on 2.21
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline junkyardt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #425 on: December 21, 2018, 03:59:44 PM »
also, i just noticed while checking this that channels 5 and 6 now max out at 40db of gain. i can't remember what the max was on v2.21 but i'm pretty sure it was higher than 40. does anyone remember what it was on v2.21?
I can tell you when I get home tonight.
To follow up. it was 40db on 2.21

ok, thanks. i could've sworn i went higher with it than that in the past, but i guess i didn't.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #426 on: December 21, 2018, 08:36:26 PM »
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #427 on: December 21, 2018, 09:45:43 PM »

Sure love how this company thinks you are getting something for nothing..what "new features", what "new performance enhancements"??

Looks like eight bug fixes, and one enhancement.  No need to pluarlize, SD.

"This update provides new features and performance enhancements to previously released firmware. "

Noise floor no longer increases when phantom power is turned on and off. (All models)
    L/R Gain no longer changes when a USB controller is connected. (MixPre-10T, -10M)
    Stereo Out Gain no longer changes when a USB controller is connected. (MixPre-3, -3M, -6, -6M)
    MixPre no longer crashes when maximum note character limit (200 characters) is reached. (-3, -6, -10T)
    Shortcuts menu remains visible after setting nanoKONTROL2 to anything other than gain pots. (-3, -6, -10T)
    nanoKONTROL2 knobs can now be configured in the menu. (MixPre-3, -3M)
    Live audio for channels 5 and 6 returns after stopping playback with USB controller connected. (MixPre-6, -6M)
    Ambisonics: binaural recordings now have proper spatial image. (MixPre-6, -10T)
    Ambisonics: binaural monitoring with FuMa is now spatially correct. (MixPre-6, -10T)

Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #428 on: December 21, 2018, 09:51:03 PM »
Holy shit, this firmware has been through a ton of changes.

SD in need of some Beta testers next time?  I'm sure we'd get some volunteers here.

3.01 - December 14, 2018

Fixed

For all models:

The potential loss of recorded audio due to a failed automatic file split has been eliminated.

3.00 - December 10, 2018

New

For all models:

USB control from the Korg NanoKontrol Studio, Korg NanoKontrol2, Akai MidiMix, and Novation Launch Control XL USB control surfaces. Other USB control surfaces are not supported. Includes support for fader, trim, pan, low cut, reverb, solo, mute, track arm, monitor, transport control, LR output level, and user-programmable shortcut buttons.
    Note: available features depend on the control surface being used and whether Audio or Music projects are enabled. For more information, see the USB Controller chapter in your MixPre User Guide.

For all M models and Music projects on models with Musician Plugin:

Bluetooth LE wireless remote control using the Android or iOS Wingman app. Includes 12-track monitoring, mix metering, transport control, time counter, track naming and arming.
    Support for the new Windows ASIO driver, v2.9.92.1. This enables a MixPre running a Music project to be used as a multichannel USB audio interface with Windows computers. This ASIO driver is required when using the MixPre-3M, -6M, or -10M or when running Music projects in the MixPre-3, -6, or -10T.

Known Issues

Changed

For all models:

Meter scale now included on Channel screen meter.

Fixed

For all models:

Noise that occurred when playing back MixPre-recorded 96 kHz or 192 kHz files at a fraction of their normal speed has been eliminated.
    The UI no longer occasionally switches to a Channel screen’s first page after selecting a linking option.
    Fader or gain levels now only display at the top of the Home screen when being adjusted.
    Improved handling of projects without an SD card connected.
    Rare event where USB audio inputs 3 and 4 were routed directly to the LR tracks has been resolved.
    Files with both Mix and ISO tracks now consistently import correctly.
    Imported files now consistently playback at correct speed.
    Ticking noises that occasionally occurred when playing back imported files containing cue markers have been removed.
    Sample rate stays consistent between the MixPre and a computer when changing projects without an SD card inserted.
    LR gain now remains correct after loading a preset with L and R unlinked and set to different gain values.
    When transitioning between playback and stop, solo’d track remains consistent.
    All channels of a linked group can be solo’d in the headphone output.
    Improved USB-A port connectivity.

The maximum number of cue markers in Music projects has been increased to 99.
    All tracks are now present after importing non-native files into Music projects.
    Imported non-native content does not disappear after overdubbing.
    A lockup no longer occurs if the HP encoder is pressed when viewing an empty History list.

2.21 - May 31, 2018

New
For all models:

Increased maximum number of cue markers to 99 per file for Audio Projects and 99 per song for Music Projects.
    Cue Marker Names are now readable by compatible DAWs e.g. Adobe Audition, Reaper.

Fixed
For all models:

Windows 7 and 8 were not able to import or read MixPre .wav audio files.
    Wave file header was not always being updated for file splits.

2.20 - May 24, 2018

New
For all models:

Output gain range increased by 20dB.
    Added Output Mute option.
    Added Output Mute * shortcut option.

For MixPre-10M

Import of WAV audio files (native and non-native) when creating a Music Project.

For MixPre-10T

Displays a timecode reset notification in Free Run and Time of Day modes when timecode is reset after the timecode hold time of 4 hrs is exceeded.

For MixPre-3 and MixPre-6 only

Jump to cue marks by holding Play and rotating the headphone encoder.

For MixPre-3, -6, and -10T only

Plugin support: A new System > Plugins submenu for installing future licensed plugins.
    New Record > Record Bells menu option to disable record bell notifications.
    Added Inputs MS Decode submenu to select MS decoding to both ISOs and Mix or Mix Only.
    Recordings that are split across multiple files now playback seamlessly.
    Playback of non-native WAV files in Audio Projects.

Changed

In Remix mode, re-recorded files are now placed in the same project folder as the source file.
    A file's 'Name' has been increased to a maximum of 20 characters.

For all models:

Channel Screen meter remains visible and active when adjusting channel gain.
    Headphone Clip Indicator is now displayed in power/battery level indicator in the top right of the screen.
    Post fade channel clipping is now indicated by a channel's ring LED illuminating red.
    Projects are now sorted by creation date/time in the Project > Open menu.
    Menu screens now allow the user to switch from one parameter to another with a single touch.

Fixed
For MixPre-10T only:

USB Thumbdrive was prematurely shown as full.
    Time of Day timecode was incorrect after power cycling within the timecode hold time (4 hours).

For MixPre-10M only:

Mute was not muting tracks with Input source set to Click.
    Metronome Volume and Click track level were inconsistent.
    Rendered audio files were not automatically copied to the USB Drive.
    Cue marks that fell outside of the Play In / Stop region were still embedded in the rendered wav file.
    Cue marks set as Play In, Record In, Record Out, Stop were not being moved correctly.
    Rendered isolated wav files would occasionally contain discontinuities at crossfades.
    Phantom Power setting was not carrying over to the linked input in a linked pair.
    Playback would not always work after recording the first take in a music project.
    44.1 kHz sample rate would not carry over to new projects.

For MixPre-6 and -10T only:

MixPre-6 channels 5 & 6 and MixPre-10T channels 9 & 10 were displaying 6dB too high.
    Solo and Mutes were not linked when Link Type was set to 'All'.

For MixPre-3, -6, and -10T only:

Audio bleed-through into the record start/stop bells.
    MS balance control was occasionally resetting to center.
    Cue marks were not copied from the original file to the re-recorded file.
    Track Arm indicators would flash after playing back.
    Phantom Power setting could be displayed incorrectly in the Channel screen after playback.
    Re-recording was only possible when the source file contained three or more tracks.
    Headphone monitoring source would change after playback.
    Previous project was not loading when reinserting the SD card.
    Recording would stop when recording automatic file splits to daily folders over midnight.

For all models:

Jumping between cue marks has been improved.
    Media I/O Error message was incorrectly displayed for a full SD card.
    In some DAWs, MixPre audio file signal clipping was occurring at -0.1dBFS.
    Zero byte split files were created on some SD cards.
    Pop-up dialog windows could appear one on top of the other.
    Improved handling of pop up dialog boxes.
    Improved audio scrubbing.
    Improved transport handling.
    Improved media performance.

2.10 - April 12, 2018

New

Re-mix (-3, -6, -10T only). Ability to playback any existing file and create a new LR mix by adjusting its ISO tracks' fader levels and pans. Re-mix is enabled in the Record menu and is only available in Advanced Mode or Custom Mode with Gain set to Advanced. Re-mixing requires that the source file include at least one ISO track.
    Re-record LR (-3, -6, -10T only). Ability to record the LR mix during remixing. All metadata from the source file is transferred to the re-recorded 2-ch LR mix poly wav file. A re-recorded file's name is the same as the original source file name but prefixed with the characters 'R_'. Re-recording requires Remix to be enabled and the source file to have at least one ISO track.
    Cue Marks. Support for cue marks to allow jumping directly to points of interest within a wav file. Cue marks can be added during recording or playback and can be deleted, named and moved. Jump directly to a cue mark by selecting it from a file's Cue List and then pressing play. On the 10T, skip from cue to cue using FFWD and REW joystick. Cue marks are embedded in the wav file's metadata and can be read and displayed by compatible computer applications (e.g. Adobe Audition, Reaper.)
    Option to set the USB Audio interface to output only 2 channels in order to increase compatibility with applications that do not support multichannel USB audio. Go to Menu>System>USB Audio and select Stereo Out.
    Additional channel linking options (-6, -10T only). For the MixPre-10T, additional options include 1-3, 1-5, 1-6, 1-7, 1-8, 5-7 and for the MixPre-6, option 1-3 is added.
    Link Type menu (-6, -10T only) providing the ability to choose which parameters are linked when linking three or more channels. Selecting the 'All' option links input type, trim gains, faders, limiters, low cuts, record arms, and delays. Selecting the 'Faders Only' option only links the faders.

Changed

Four button layout is now changed to six button layout in the Channel screens.
    Rendering start and stop points are now determined by the Play In and Stop cues if set. This is ideal for rendering out only a part of a project. (10M only)
    Cue markers are now embedded into rendered WAV files. (10M only)
    Mute now deactivates the input. Previously mute would only mute the input in the headphone monitor.
    Mute is now accessible via the Channel screen.
    10T factory default mode is now set to Advanced instead of Basic.
    Monitor button is now grayed out when Input is set to Off. (10M only)
    The track that is using 'Air' is now displayed in the greyed out button of other tracks. (10M only)

Fixed

Headphone clip indicator was only being displayed when adjusting headphone level
    Some USB keyboard shortcuts were not working (10M only)
    Brief audio burst when soloing a channel (10M only)
    Enabling a track's input monitor would incorrectly enable other tracks' input monitors during record (10M only)
    Transport stability, media performance and UI navigation have been improved
    Timecode Menu and USB Drive Status Error Handling have been improved (10T only)
    Fast Forward and Rewind were not responsive in the Channel screens. (10T and 10M only)

1.53 - Jan. 18, 2018

Changed

The MixPre-10T transport control's orange LED brightness is dimmed in stop mode to make it clearer when the unit is recording.
    The Take List indicates which file is playing back by displaying it in green text.

Fixed

Limiters are not always enabled when switching from Advanced to Basic Mode
    Pans were not always correct after switching to Basic Mode from Advanced Mode with Inputs Linked.
    If timecode backup time expired when the MixPre-10T was powered off, TOD timecode was incorrect when next powered on.
    Rare stuttering of audio during playback of some files
    Audio crackling noise in headphones when turning HP encoder
    Incorrect gain values when channels are MS linked
    Sound Reports were not automatically copied to the USB thumbdrive (MixPre-10T only)
    New Project Name was not retained after a power cycle if no files were recorded in that project
    Long file names were not being displaying fully

1.52 - Nov. 29, 2017

Fixed

Rare issue where input level would momentarily change

1.51 - Oct. 30, 2017

Changes

Date/Time settings moved to System Menu plus simplified method of entry.
    New Project folders are now only created when the first file is recorded, preventing the SD card filling up with empty folders.
    USB keyboard shortcut [Shift + 8] performs the * Button function. (MixPre-6 only)
    On the MixPre-10T, the Shift + 8 shortcut performs the * (left toggle) Switch function, and Ctrl + Shift + 8 performs the ** (right toggle) Switch function.

Fixed

Activating Record is now prevented while in USB File Transfer Mode. (MixPre-10T only)
    Improved battery type detection.
    MixPre-3 Input Delay values now hold over power cycles.
    Files can now be selected for playback from the File List while the MixPre is still playing back a file.
    Cleaned up typos and incorrect messages in various popup dialog boxes.
    Corrected three sample offset between isolated and mix track recorded files.
    Virtual keyboard screens were not saving and exiting on the first press of the enter key.
    Channel knob and gain range values could be wrong after changing a channel source to Aux In or switching Aux In Mode between Mic and Line.
    Time is now updated on the Status Bar if left as the active display.
    Rare system lock up that could occur after hours of using Camera timecode.
    External UBits are now stamping correctly as hex values.
    With Channel 1 set to USB1, lInking 1-4 would assign channels 1-4 as USB1, USB1, USB2, USB3 instead of USB1, USB2, USB3, USB4.
    Multiple other system enhancements and improvements.

1.50 - Sept/Oct 2017

New

This is the initial firmware release for the MixPre-10T, the newest member of the MixPre Series of recorders, mixers, and USB audio interfaces. This lightweight, 10-input/12-track recorder offers world-class sound quality, flexible powering, and built-in, highly accurate timecode generator/reader – perfect for production sound mixers, field recordists and sound designers. See https://www.sounddevices.com/products/recorders/mixpre-10t

1.20 - Sept. 28, 2017

New

The MixPre-6 now offers 4-channel linking. (This feature is only available on the MixPre-6.)
    When channels 1-4 are linked, gain, fader, limiters, track arming, low cut filters, and input delay are all linked and controlled from Channel 1 screen and knob.
    Note: Available options vary based on set mode.
    Input Delay, a feature already available on the MixPre-6, is now supported on the MixPre-3. Available on channels 1-3, adjustable from 0 to 30 ms in 1 ms increments.

Changes

In this firmware, the Linking feature was moved from Custom Setup > Gain > Advanced to Custom Setup > Channel > Advanced. This change now lets you link inputs while still having the option of one or two gain stages.

Users wanting to link inputs, but control all levels from the front-panel channel 1 knob should set System > Mode to Custom and then in Custom Setup, set Gain to Basic and Channel to Advanced.

Users wanting to link inputs with two gain stages while in Custom mode, ensure that Gain and Channel are both set to Advanced. Then, you can adjust gain levels for linked channels from the Channel 1 screen and adjust fader levels for linked channels with the Channel 1 knob.

Fixed

Corrected offset in timecode file stamps when using external LTC via the 3.5 mm Aux Input.
    Limiter Indicator would not properly show activity after unlinking input channels.
    Input delay for linked channels 1-2 incorrectly applied to linked channels 3-4 after power cycle.
    Gain not correctly applied to MS-linked line level inputs.
    Aux gain fader range display issues.
    Playback issue where isolated tracks were not routed correctly to outputs.

1.11 - June 26,2017

New

When playing back a file, the file's remaining time is now shown in the Status Bar.

Changes

The File List Number is now editable from 1 to 9999.
    The Current Project name is now displayed in the Menu>Project header.
    The Headphone output is briefly muted when Aux In Mode is changed to prevent loud audible pops.
    Various system improvements and enhancements.

Fixed

In some custom setups, ISO Tracks were recorded low level when Tracks L and R were disarmed.
    File corruption when power was depleted mid-recording.
    Some custom mode settings were not retained after a power cycle; for instance, 40 Hz Low Cut Filter setting was set to 80Hz after a power cycle.
    After a power cycle, channel gain was not set correctly until the channel knob was slightly adjusted.
    Channel 5 and 6 did not correctly show limiter activity when Input Source was set to Aux In.
    Clip indicator showed twice for one clipping event.
    Changing headphone gain while in the Solo/Mute screen caused incorrect monitoring and routing of signals to the headphone output.
    Gain and pan controls were not grayed out on channel 2 when channels 1 and 2 were linked as a stereo or MS pair. (MixPre-3 Only)
    Engaging record with a full SD card inserted created small files.
    Incorrect message was displayed when attempting to record with a locked SD Card inserted. Now, 'SD Card is Locked' is reported.
    Camera Meters (C1, C2) did not display signal activity in Custom Mode with Advanced Headphone Settings.
    Camera and USB Meters didn’t show any activity during playback.
    USB Audio Routing was incorrect while playing back.
    The Open Project Menu list was displayed incorrectly when rapidly scrolling through it.
    Audio Delay could have been incorrect after changing sample rate.
    A recording's first sample could have been incorrect after changing sample rate.
    Improved stability of HDMI Timecode.
    USB Keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Z did not perform Undo.
    USB Keyboard shortcut F2 did not enter the File List.
    The Record/L&R Gain setting incorrectly altered the L&R track playback levels. The setting should only affect the L&R record levels, not the L&R playback levels.

1.01 - May 30, 2017

Fixed

Upon startup with an SD card inserted, the MixPre-3 or MixPre-6 could enter a power cycle loop.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 09:35:19 AM by capnhook »
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #429 on: December 28, 2018, 02:09:12 PM »
What bag are you all using? I am using the one below and it works well, but if I want to carry pretty much anything in addition to my current load, I need something bigger.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Large-Gadget-Orange-interior/dp/B00CF5OHZ2

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #430 on: December 28, 2018, 02:38:50 PM »
What bag are you all using? I am using the one below and it works well, but if I want to carry pretty much anything in addition to my current load, I need something bigger.

Mine is in a Portabrace RM-Multi and slid into my Petrol.  I had it left over from my old DA-P1 Portabrace

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/65637-REG/Porta_Brace_RM_MULTI_RM_MULTI_Wireless_Microphone_Case.html
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #431 on: January 13, 2019, 05:31:16 PM »

Mine is in a Portabrace RM-Multi and slid into my Petrol.  I had it left over from my old DA-P1 Portabrace

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/65637-REG/Porta_Brace_RM_MULTI_RM_MULTI_Wireless_Microphone_Case.html

Cool. I'll probably need something a little bigger unfortunately.

Is anyone having problems with the last firmware?

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #432 on: January 13, 2019, 05:37:26 PM »
Holy shit, this firmware has been through a ton of changes.

SD in need of some Beta testers next time?  I'm sure we'd get some volunteers here.

3.01 - December 14, 2018

Fixed

For all models:

The potential loss of recorded audio due to a failed automatic file split has been eliminated.

3.00 - December 10, 2018

New

For all models:

USB control from the Korg NanoKontrol Studio, Korg NanoKontrol2, Akai MidiMix, and Novation Launch Control XL USB control surfaces. Other USB control surfaces are not supported. Includes support for fader, trim, pan, low cut, reverb, solo, mute, track arm, monitor, transport control, LR output level, and user-programmable shortcut buttons.
    Note: available features depend on the control surface being used and whether Audio or Music projects are enabled. For more information, see the USB Controller chapter in your MixPre User Guide.

Bluetooth LE wireless remote control using the Android or iOS Wingman app. Includes 12-track monitoring, mix metering, transport control, time counter, track naming and arming.
    Support for the new Windows ASIO driver, v2.9.92.1. This enables a MixPre running a Music project to be used as a multichannel USB audio interface with Windows computers. This ASIO driver is required when using the MixPre-3M, -6M, or -10M or when running Music projects in the MixPre-3, -6, or -10T.

Known Issues

Changed

For all models:

Meter scale now included on Channel screen meter.

Fixed

For all models:

Noise that occurred when playing back MixPre-recorded 96 kHz or 192 kHz files at a fraction of their normal speed has been eliminated.
    The UI no longer occasionally switches to a Channel screen’s first page after selecting a linking option.
    Fader or gain levels now only display at the top of the Home screen when being adjusted.
    Improved handling of projects without an SD card connected.
    Rare event where USB audio inputs 3 and 4 were routed directly to the LR tracks has been resolved.
    Files with both Mix and ISO tracks now consistently import correctly.
    Imported files now consistently playback at correct speed.
    Ticking noises that occasionally occurred when playing back imported files containing cue markers have been removed.
    Sample rate stays consistent between the MixPre and a computer when changing projects without an SD card inserted.
    LR gain now remains correct after loading a preset with L and R unlinked and set to different gain values.
    When transitioning between playback and stop, solo’d track remains consistent.
    All channels of a linked group can be solo’d in the headphone output.
    Improved USB-A port connectivity.

The maximum number of cue markers in Music projects has been increased to 99.
    All tracks are now present after importing non-native files into Music projects.
    Imported non-native content does not disappear after overdubbing.
    A lockup no longer occurs if the HP encoder is pressed when viewing an empty History list.

2.21 - May 31, 2018

New
For all models:

Increased maximum number of cue markers to 99 per file for Audio Projects and 99 per song for Music Projects.
    Cue Marker Names are now readable by compatible DAWs e.g. Adobe Audition, Reaper.

Fixed
For all models:

Windows 7 and 8 were not able to import or read MixPre .wav audio files.
    Wave file header was not always being updated for file splits.

2.20 - May 24, 2018

New
For all models:

Output gain range increased by 20dB.
    Added Output Mute option.
    Added Output Mute * shortcut option.

For MixPre-10M

Import of WAV audio files (native and non-native) when creating a Music Project.

For MixPre-10T

Displays a timecode reset notification in Free Run and Time of Day modes when timecode is reset after the timecode hold time of 4 hrs is exceeded.

For MixPre-3 and MixPre-6 only

Jump to cue marks by holding Play and rotating the headphone encoder.

Plugin support: A new System > Plugins submenu for installing future licensed plugins.
    New Record > Record Bells menu option to disable record bell notifications.
    Added Inputs MS Decode submenu to select MS decoding to both ISOs and Mix or Mix Only.
    Recordings that are split across multiple files now playback seamlessly.
    Playback of non-native WAV files in Audio Projects.

Changed

In Remix mode, re-recorded files are now placed in the same project folder as the source file.
    A file's 'Name' has been increased to a maximum of 20 characters.

For all models:

Channel Screen meter remains visible and active when adjusting channel gain.
    Headphone Clip Indicator is now displayed in power/battery level indicator in the top right of the screen.
    Post fade channel clipping is now indicated by a channel's ring LED illuminating red.
    Projects are now sorted by creation date/time in the Project > Open menu.
    Menu screens now allow the user to switch from one parameter to another with a single touch.

Fixed
For MixPre-10T only:

USB Thumbdrive was prematurely shown as full.
    Time of Day timecode was incorrect after power cycling within the timecode hold time (4 hours).

For MixPre-10M only:

Mute was not muting tracks with Input source set to Click.
    Metronome Volume and Click track level were inconsistent.
    Rendered audio files were not automatically copied to the USB Drive.
    Cue marks that fell outside of the Play In / Stop region were still embedded in the rendered wav file.
    Cue marks set as Play In, Record In, Record Out, Stop were not being moved correctly.
    Rendered isolated wav files would occasionally contain discontinuities at crossfades.
    Phantom Power setting was not carrying over to the linked input in a linked pair.
    Playback would not always work after recording the first take in a music project.
    44.1 kHz sample rate would not carry over to new projects.

For MixPre-6 and -10T only:

MixPre-6 channels 5 & 6 and MixPre-10T channels 9 & 10 were displaying 6dB too high.
    Solo and Mutes were not linked when Link Type was set to 'All'.

For MixPre-3, -6, and -10T only:

Audio bleed-through into the record start/stop bells.
    MS balance control was occasionally resetting to center.
    Cue marks were not copied from the original file to the re-recorded file.
    Track Arm indicators would flash after playing back.
    Phantom Power setting could be displayed incorrectly in the Channel screen after playback.
    Re-recording was only possible when the source file contained three or more tracks.
    Headphone monitoring source would change after playback.
    Previous project was not loading when reinserting the SD card.
    Recording would stop when recording automatic file splits to daily folders over midnight.

For all models:

Jumping between cue marks has been improved.
    Media I/O Error message was incorrectly displayed for a full SD card.
    In some DAWs, MixPre audio file signal clipping was occurring at -0.1dBFS.
    Zero byte split files were created on some SD cards.
    Pop-up dialog windows could appear one on top of the other.
    Improved handling of pop up dialog boxes.
    Improved audio scrubbing.
    Improved transport handling.
    Improved media performance.

2.10 - April 12, 2018

New

Re-mix (-3, -6, -10T only). Ability to playback any existing file and create a new LR mix by adjusting its ISO tracks' fader levels and pans. Re-mix is enabled in the Record menu and is only available in Advanced Mode or Custom Mode with Gain set to Advanced. Re-mixing requires that the source file include at least one ISO track.
    Re-record LR (-3, -6, -10T only). Ability to record the LR mix during remixing. All metadata from the source file is transferred to the re-recorded 2-ch LR mix poly wav file. A re-recorded file's name is the same as the original source file name but prefixed with the characters 'R_'. Re-recording requires Remix to be enabled and the source file to have at least one ISO track.
    Cue Marks. Support for cue marks to allow jumping directly to points of interest within a wav file. Cue marks can be added during recording or playback and can be deleted, named and moved. Jump directly to a cue mark by selecting it from a file's Cue List and then pressing play. On the 10T, skip from cue to cue using FFWD and REW joystick. Cue marks are embedded in the wav file's metadata and can be read and displayed by compatible computer applications (e.g. Adobe Audition, Reaper.)
    Option to set the USB Audio interface to output only 2 channels in order to increase compatibility with applications that do not support multichannel USB audio. Go to Menu>System>USB Audio and select Stereo Out.
    Additional channel linking options (-6, -10T only). For the MixPre-10T, additional options include 1-3, 1-5, 1-6, 1-7, 1-8, 5-7 and for the MixPre-6, option 1-3 is added.
    Link Type menu (-6, -10T only) providing the ability to choose which parameters are linked when linking three or more channels. Selecting the 'All' option links input type, trim gains, faders, limiters, low cuts, record arms, and delays. Selecting the 'Faders Only' option only links the faders.

Changed

Four button layout is now changed to six button layout in the Channel screens.
    Rendering start and stop points are now determined by the Play In and Stop cues if set. This is ideal for rendering out only a part of a project. (10M only)
    Cue markers are now embedded into rendered WAV files. (10M only)
    Mute now deactivates the input. Previously mute would only mute the input in the headphone monitor.
    Mute is now accessible via the Channel screen.
    10T factory default mode is now set to Advanced instead of Basic.
    Monitor button is now grayed out when Input is set to Off. (10M only)
    The track that is using 'Air' is now displayed in the greyed out button of other tracks. (10M only)

Fixed

Headphone clip indicator was only being displayed when adjusting headphone level
    Some USB keyboard shortcuts were not working (10M only)
    Brief audio burst when soloing a channel (10M only)
    Enabling a track's input monitor would incorrectly enable other tracks' input monitors during record (10M only)
    Transport stability, media performance and UI navigation have been improved
    Timecode Menu and USB Drive Status Error Handling have been improved (10T only)
    Fast Forward and Rewind were not responsive in the Channel screens. (10T and 10M only)

1.53 - Jan. 18, 2018

Changed

The MixPre-10T transport control's orange LED brightness is dimmed in stop mode to make it clearer when the unit is recording.
    The Take List indicates which file is playing back by displaying it in green text.

Fixed

Limiters are not always enabled when switching from Advanced to Basic Mode
    Pans were not always correct after switching to Basic Mode from Advanced Mode with Inputs Linked.
    If timecode backup time expired when the MixPre-10T was powered off, TOD timecode was incorrect when next powered on.
    Rare stuttering of audio during playback of some files
    Audio crackling noise in headphones when turning HP encoder
    Incorrect gain values when channels are MS linked
    Sound Reports were not automatically copied to the USB thumbdrive (MixPre-10T only)
    New Project Name was not retained after a power cycle if no files were recorded in that project
    Long file names were not being displaying fully

1.52 - Nov. 29, 2017

Fixed

Rare issue where input level would momentarily change

1.51 - Oct. 30, 2017

Changes

Date/Time settings moved to System Menu plus simplified method of entry.
    New Project folders are now only created when the first file is recorded, preventing the SD card filling up with empty folders.
    USB keyboard shortcut [Shift + 8] performs the * Button function. (MixPre-6 only)
    On the MixPre-10T, the Shift + 8 shortcut performs the * (left toggle) Switch function, and Ctrl + Shift + 8 performs the ** (right toggle) Switch function.

Fixed

Activating Record is now prevented while in USB File Transfer Mode. (MixPre-10T only)
    Improved battery type detection.
    MixPre-3 Input Delay values now hold over power cycles.
    Files can now be selected for playback from the File List while the MixPre is still playing back a file.
    Cleaned up typos and incorrect messages in various popup dialog boxes.
    Corrected three sample offset between isolated and mix track recorded files.
    Virtual keyboard screens were not saving and exiting on the first press of the enter key.
    Channel knob and gain range values could be wrong after changing a channel source to Aux In or switching Aux In Mode between Mic and Line.
    Time is now updated on the Status Bar if left as the active display.
    Rare system lock up that could occur after hours of using Camera timecode.
    External UBits are now stamping correctly as hex values.
    With Channel 1 set to USB1, lInking 1-4 would assign channels 1-4 as USB1, USB1, USB2, USB3 instead of USB1, USB2, USB3, USB4.
    Multiple other system enhancements and improvements.

1.50 - Sept/Oct 2017

New

This is the initial firmware release for the MixPre-10T, the newest member of the MixPre Series of recorders, mixers, and USB audio interfaces. This lightweight, 10-input/12-track recorder offers world-class sound quality, flexible powering, and built-in, highly accurate timecode generator/reader – perfect for production sound mixers, field recordists and sound designers. See https://www.sounddevices.com/products/recorders/mixpre-10t

1.20 - Sept. 28, 2017

New

The MixPre-6 now offers 4-channel linking. (This feature is only available on the MixPre-6.)
    When channels 1-4 are linked, gain, fader, limiters, track arming, low cut filters, and input delay are all linked and controlled from Channel 1 screen and knob.
    Note: Available options vary based on set mode.
    Input Delay, a feature already available on the MixPre-6, is now supported on the MixPre-3. Available on channels 1-3, adjustable from 0 to 30 ms in 1 ms increments.

Changes

In this firmware, the Linking feature was moved from Custom Setup > Gain > Advanced to Custom Setup > Channel > Advanced. This change now lets you link inputs while still having the option of one or two gain stages.

Users wanting to link inputs, but control all levels from the front-panel channel 1 knob should set System > Mode to Custom and then in Custom Setup, set Gain to Basic and Channel to Advanced.

Users wanting to link inputs with two gain stages while in Custom mode, ensure that Gain and Channel are both set to Advanced. Then, you can adjust gain levels for linked channels from the Channel 1 screen and adjust fader levels for linked channels with the Channel 1 knob.

Fixed

Corrected offset in timecode file stamps when using external LTC via the 3.5 mm Aux Input.
    Limiter Indicator would not properly show activity after unlinking input channels.
    Input delay for linked channels 1-2 incorrectly applied to linked channels 3-4 after power cycle.
    Gain not correctly applied to MS-linked line level inputs.
    Aux gain fader range display issues.
    Playback issue where isolated tracks were not routed correctly to outputs.

1.11 - June 26,2017

New

When playing back a file, the file's remaining time is now shown in the Status Bar.

Changes

The File List Number is now editable from 1 to 9999.
    The Current Project name is now displayed in the Menu>Project header.
    The Headphone output is briefly muted when Aux In Mode is changed to prevent loud audible pops.
    Various system improvements and enhancements.

Fixed

In some custom setups, ISO Tracks were recorded low level when Tracks L and R were disarmed.
    File corruption when power was depleted mid-recording.
    Some custom mode settings were not retained after a power cycle; for instance, 40 Hz Low Cut Filter setting was set to 80Hz after a power cycle.
    After a power cycle, channel gain was not set correctly until the channel knob was slightly adjusted.
    Channel 5 and 6 did not correctly show limiter activity when Input Source was set to Aux In.
    Clip indicator showed twice for one clipping event.
    Changing headphone gain while in the Solo/Mute screen caused incorrect monitoring and routing of signals to the headphone output.
    Gain and pan controls were not grayed out on channel 2 when channels 1 and 2 were linked as a stereo or MS pair. (MixPre-3 Only)
    Engaging record with a full SD card inserted created small files.
    Incorrect message was displayed when attempting to record with a locked SD Card inserted. Now, 'SD Card is Locked' is reported.
    Camera Meters (C1, C2) did not display signal activity in Custom Mode with Advanced Headphone Settings.
    Camera and USB Meters didn’t show any activity during playback.
    USB Audio Routing was incorrect while playing back.
    The Open Project Menu list was displayed incorrectly when rapidly scrolling through it.
    Audio Delay could have been incorrect after changing sample rate.
    A recording's first sample could have been incorrect after changing sample rate.
    Improved stability of HDMI Timecode.
    USB Keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Z did not perform Undo.
    USB Keyboard shortcut F2 did not enter the File List.
    The Record/L&R Gain setting incorrectly altered the L&R track playback levels. The setting should only affect the L&R record levels, not the L&R playback levels.

1.01 - May 30, 2017

Fixed

Upon startup with an SD card inserted, the MixPre-3 or MixPre-6 could enter a power cycle loop.

this post might be a good spot to copy/paste and start part 6 since this one is on page 29
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #433 on: January 22, 2019, 04:19:03 PM »
anyone brave and been running v3.02 in the wild?
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #434 on: January 22, 2019, 07:23:12 PM »
anyone brave and been running v3.02 in the wild?
No issues after a few runs. I like 3.02
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.142 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com