Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Newbie Taper  (Read 3165 times)

Offline celtic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Newbie Taper
« on: March 06, 2011, 07:05:29 AM »
Hi,

Just wondering what is the best / easiest to use recorder etc. for somebody who has never taped before. I'am also looking for something cheap as I will only be a casual taper. The Zoom H1 looks pretty cheap and easy to use. Anybody here use one of these.

stevetoney

Re: Newbie Taper
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 10:03:45 AM »
Sony PCM-M10 

Here's why...

Runs for 24 hours or longer on a pair of AA batteries
Simple to use
Built in 4GB of memory, supplemented by microSD cards
Great level monitors (on screen scale, but also includes green light for levels above -12db, red light about 0db...perfect for stealth monitoring during a show)
Low cost at about $230US new price
Easily fits in your shirt pocket
Internal mics better than most handhelds (still not as good as externals though)
Nice on/off scheme...almost impossible to accidentally switch off during a show
Easy to build a larger rig around.

Negatives I can think of
MicroSD cards are tiny...easy to lose if you fill one up at the gig and need to change it out.

The Zoom H1 really wouldn't be the best decision, IMHO.  My opinion is that it's designed more for the musician looking to capture idea's while they're rehearsing, or to capture rehearsals for quick playback. 

The Sony M10 is really ideally suited for what most of us here do...recording live gigs.  It's easily the most popular hand-held on this site for the last...oh...18 months or so (before then, the Edirol R-09HR was probably the most popular handheld).
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 10:12:50 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline sunjan

• Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 02:24:44 PM »
Low cost at about $230US new price
Looking at the handle, the OP is probably European.
M10 is GBP 269 over there = $437!  :P

For starter gear in the EU, it might be worth looking at the Roland R-05 (GBP 159)  or the new Tascam DR-05 (GBP 109!)
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline celtic

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 02:49:05 PM »
Thanks for the info tonedeaf. The Sony PCM-M10 looks a nice unit. You can get it from Amazon.US for 220 US Dollars (160 Euro) + Shipping. Which is not too bad. By just using the unit without external mics what type of recording quality would you get recording a rock band for instance in a small venue.

Offline celtic

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 03:32:35 PM »
Forgot about the VAT Duty and shipping is expensive from the US also. Over here your talking about 300 Euro for the Sony PCM-M10. Too expensive for my budget. Maybe the Roland R-05 (GBP 159)  or the new Tascam DR-05 (GBP 109!) as sunjan suggested. Between the two of those which would get the best results

Offline ryang

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 05:50:49 PM »
Tascam is probably the way to go if your budget is dictating cheaper than the M10. 

Here's a sample of a recent bit of show recorded hand-held with M10 internals at a small venue, about 25feet (little further back initially) off the speakers in a crowded room.  Just a sample for myself of a set I didn't care about recording, since I usually use external mics.  Towards the end I was positioned more ideally.
http://www.mediafire.com/?nf9fiegx5mvejv8

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 12:17:49 PM »
Tascam is probably the way to go if your budget is dictating cheaper than the M10. 

Here's a sample of a recent bit of show recorded hand-held with M10 internals at a small venue, about 25feet (little further back initially) off the speakers in a crowded room.  Just a sample for myself of a set I didn't care about recording, since I usually use external mics.  Towards the end I was positioned more ideally.

If you know someone coming over fromt he states they can hand carry it and avoid the extra taxes.  I will be heading over in mid May for shows in Dublin and London.  Thats a longs ways off but its always an option.

stevetoney

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 12:58:43 PM »

If you know someone coming over fromt he states they can hand carry it and avoid the extra taxes.  I will be heading over in mid May for shows in Dublin and London.  Thats a longs ways off but its always an option.

Actually, that's true...I hadn't thought about that.  I was the guy that originally suggested the Sony M10 to you.  I'm headed over to Sweden for a week on April 16th.  Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com