Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Roland r26  (Read 35078 times)

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Roland r26
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2011, 03:46:09 AM »
Anybody got one of these yet? They are retailing in the UK for £349.

The user manual is now up on the Roland site and I haven't read it cover to cover, but apart from the dual hold-power switch issue,  it seems another problem is that the hold switch does NOT disengage the two level dials. I have no idea how stiff or 'mechanised' these dials are and therefore how easy it would be to inadvertantly change the levels during a show, but the manual does give a warning in this regard.

These two issues to me are sufficient to tell me i would have a problem at some time or another with this recorder whilst trying to stealth, but I would like to know if anyone has any direct experience that says otherwise.

Offline George2

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2011, 10:30:20 AM »
I saw one in a shop in Los Angeles... really oversized piece of plastic.
Seemed too fiddle-ie with all it's options....would rather KISS and have FE2-LE.
Sennheiser 418s>SDMixPre-D>RO9HR
Beyer MC930>Fostex FM3>NagraSD
Couple of Schoeps CMT441 too.

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2011, 05:17:45 PM »
Perusing the Manual PDF....Page 40 shows PiP power can be switched off and on...Page 45-46 shows selecting and assigning Analog (XLR?), PiP and Int Mic to Input Knobs..4 channels make sense....but it lost me when 6 channels are used...

http://www.rolandsystemsgroup.com/assets/media/pdf/r26_manual_e02_W.pdf

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2012, 01:11:57 AM »
Six channels:  two from built in mics, two from XLR, and two from 3.5mm jack on the side.  Or four channels from built-in mics and two XLR.  Recorded as three stereo pairs.

One mystery is how you set the XLR for mic or line level input.  Most recorders have a mic/line switch.  I didn't see one on the R-26.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2012, 01:15:54 AM »
Six channels:  two from built in mics, two from XLR, and two from 3.5mm jack on the side.  Or four channels from built-in mics and two XLR.  Recorded as three stereo pairs.

One mystery is how you set the XLR for mic or line level input.  Most recorders have a mic/line switch.  I didn't see one on the R-26.

Hmmm, maybe its in the menu ???
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline udovdh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2012, 11:15:45 AM »
Interesting, but I'd rather see an M10 formfactor device with 6 channel stuff. (and make the 3rd pair internal mics or external line/mic, please)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2012, 04:51:48 PM »
Interesting, but I'd rather see an M10 formfactor device with 6 channel stuff. (and make the 3rd pair internal mics or external line/mic, please)

x2

3 minijacks, with the ability to set the identical input sensitivities and adjust gain for all of them simultaneously.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Chimney Top

« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2013, 05:53:36 PM »
I purchased one recently, used it twice now...

When running KM184's > Mixpre XLR out > R-26 I am getting digi noise throughout the entire recording.  I've adjusted the 'sensitivity' settings etc. and still it's distorting.... Mixpre mini-jack > R-26 minijack is ok on the lowest setting (however not sure if it is bypassing the internal preamp).  SBD XLR > R-26 is ok.  Not sure why they Mixpre XLR output is distorting... anyone have this issue?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 06:08:52 PM by Chimney Top »

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2013, 06:02:29 PM »

You set both the PIP and input sensitivity of the XLRs via the touchscreen.  Well, rather, you turn phantom and PIP off/on and then set the input sensitivity.  Same concept as on Edirol R-44. It doesn't have "MIC/LINE" like the 680 does.

The only thing I dislike is while you can turn the minijack sensitivity all the way down, I"m not sure if even at its lowest setting it is still a true "line-in".

I have run the Aerco as well as an SBD feed into that jack with no issues though. 

Not sure what would cause the issue mentioned re: the MP-2 other than that the input sensitivity must have been set too high.

One thing I would not do is use that auto gain stuff. Just as dumb as using that stuff on another recorder.

Also: as to the HOLD/OFF switch - it will not turn off while recording.  If you are turning off HOLD and accidentally push to OFF it tells you you are recording and denies the command.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 06:09:45 PM by acidjack »
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Chimney Top

« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2013, 06:03:40 PM »
looks nice,  love it got really good handy gain wheels. and a nice contender running good mics without extra pre´s in the chain

but on this unit this silly 2 cent power / hold switch with risk turning it off if you wanna "hold" it just bollocks. even my cheapo 100 Euro backup device has single switches for power and hold ...

so my suggest for the mk2: drop half the 150 internal mics and add proper power / hold switch :p

Yeah  that dual switch looks mighty dangerous, extremely stressful and fiddly in the dark at the very least - REALLY daft idea whoever came up with that......

it has a 'auto sense' setting that automatically adjusts the gain... if you select auto-sense feature, it says for example, '52', so you manually turn the gain knob, however it says the setting on the backlit screen (1-100).  You can set each channel separately...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 06:07:38 PM by Chimney Top »

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2013, 06:08:28 PM »

When running KM184's > Mixpre XLR out > R-26 I am getting digi noise throughout the entire recording.  I've adjusted the 'sensitivity' settings etc. and still it's distorting.... Mixpre mini-jack > R-26 minijack is ok on the lowest setting.  SBD XLR > R-26 is ok.  Not sure why they Mixpre XLR output is distorting... anyone have this issue?

Are you running the mixpre and r26 off a common DC power source?
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Chimney Top

« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2013, 06:09:43 PM »

When running KM184's > Mixpre XLR out > R-26 I am getting digi noise throughout the entire recording.  I've adjusted the 'sensitivity' settings etc. and still it's distorting.... Mixpre mini-jack > R-26 minijack is ok on the lowest setting.  SBD XLR > R-26 is ok.  Not sure why they Mixpre XLR output is distorting... anyone have this issue?

Are you running the mixpre and r26 off a common DC power source?

I am using Energizer Lithium AA's for the R-26 and Mixpre.

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2013, 06:16:40 PM »
I was thinking a grounding problem - have you tried a different set of XLRs?
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Chimney Top

« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2013, 07:38:33 PM »
I was thinking a grounding problem - have you tried a different set of XLRs?

I tried XLR's and XLR/TRS.

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2013, 09:00:29 PM »
I've been running the R-26 since last summer and in my experience the 1/8" input is about the same for hot line in signals as the Sony D8 was. In other words, it doesn't handle especially hot signals. Use the 1/8" output of the MixPre and set the 1/8" input of the R-26 to Low and you should be fine.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 09:02:10 PM by ashevillain »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com