Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How is the Tascam DR-05 through the LINE IN?  (Read 15769 times)

Offline jj69

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
How is the Tascam DR-05 through the LINE IN?
« on: November 22, 2011, 12:22:52 AM »
I've searched the forums and I'm not finding much useful info on this unit.  Has anyone used it to record with external mics/battery box into the LINE IN?  Can it take a hot signal (i.e. loud rock band) without having to use an attenuator? 

I've also found some confusing comments about the DR-05 online.  One Amazon review claims it doesn't have a "real line input," but doesn't explain what that means.  Some posts here claim that it only allows adjustment of the input in the digital domain, but other posts dispute that. 

The only Tascam I have any experience with is the DR-03, and it's completely useless unless you want to use an attenuator.  It's also unbearably noisy.  Just wondering if the DR-05 is a more serious design.  For $85, it might be a nice backup to my PCM-M10. 

In fact, has anyone used both the DR-05 and the a PCM-M10?  A comparison of both units using their LINE IN jacks would be most helpful. 

Offline jj69

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: How is the Tascam DR-05 through the LINE IN?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 02:36:57 PM »
No one has tried the DR-05 with powered mics? 

I just ordered one for the heck of it because I found a great deal.  At the moment, Amazon has it for $77.87 with free shipping.  Tascam is also running a Holiday Mail-In rebate on several models, including the DR-05.  The rebate on the DR-05 is $10, bringing your total cost down to $67.87 shipped. 

If someone finds it for a better price, feel free to PM me.  :)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 04:23:59 PM »
I too was contemplating getting a DR05 or the like from Tascam, but in the end said F*&K IT, and just boughtr another M10, since theyre proven reliable and can take hot signals ;)

So my advice to you is to save up and get another M10 ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline jethro bo deen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 03:37:24 AM »
Guitar Center has the TASCAM  DR-05 priced at just $49   thru   Mon Sept 3, 2012   during their Labor Day sale.

That is  pretty cheap.            I   don't have   a   DR-05     so  I  can't  comment on it's capabilities.      The only people that I've ever seen using   a   DR-05    was    some  young kids  about  22 to 24 years old in a bar band.     These kids almost about the age of my kids said it works for them to get recordings of their band's shows.     I asked them if it was any good  and they said better than the videocamera they were using,  ....they weren't   high tech  ,  hi-fi stereo recording experts....just kids hopin to get something that they could listen to and evaluate their performance  and if it comes out good enough on some songs in certain bars/clubs,  they might use it on their website and promos for fans.     They said only about   20% of the shows that they have taped were really good sounding and its finding where to place the DR-05  to get the best of the bad sound reflections in the clubs that they play in....

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 12:51:16 PM »
I've searched the forums and I'm not finding much useful info on this unit.  Has anyone used it to record with external mics/battery box into the LINE IN?  Can it take a hot signal (i.e. loud rock band) without having to use an attenuator? 

I've also found some confusing comments about the DR-05 online.  One Amazon review claims it doesn't have a "real line input," but doesn't explain what that means.  Some posts here claim that it only allows adjustment of the input in the digital domain, but other posts dispute that. 

No way it's going to take a hot signal. According to the manual, all it has is one input jack marked mic/external in. There is provision for turning off the plug in power, but not for providing additional attenuation, so that's what the review meant by saying its not a real line input.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 06:00:46 PM »
Two weeks ago I ran Schoeps MK4~> CMC4~> VMS 42~> R-05 and it came out pretty sick IMO.
Ran with 20db gain on the VMS. However, some of the wav's were squared off at the louder parts.
There is zero audible negatives from it though.
I can post a sample if interested. Before I looked at the actual wav's I wouldn't have hesitated grabbing one.
Because they are so cheap it would be great as a back-up.
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

ilduclo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 06:30:43 PM »
yes, please post a sample including a part with the topped off wavs.  Was this a loud band? I have been considering one for a back up as well..

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 07:17:45 PM »
The band is Club d'elf.
If you are not familiar with them they are a very dynamic band that has varying instruments from week to week.
I ran ortf, DFC, 3ft HIGH. Instruments this night were Drums, Hammond, Keys, Guitar, Turntables, Bass, and Sintir.
It was onstage so I am pretty sure being 6-'8 ft from a full drum set qualifies. Plus I always run less conservative always trying to hit that magic -2.5db
and for most of the show, that is wher it was going. So these are the credentials you are looking for. Hot signal that is often loud.
Bottom line is, I was pretty happy with the result as I think it was clean for the most part. Other than Bumping up the highs, this is RAW.
You will hear the very loud part about 1:15 in.
http://soundcloud.com/newplanet7/delf2012-08-17s1t0201

AND ANOTHER ONE FOR YOU FUNKHEADS.
http://soundcloud.com/newplanet7/delf2012-08-17s1t10
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 07:44:20 PM by newplanet7 »
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com