Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Marantz PMD661 Firware Update Disaster - HELP!!!!!  (Read 17223 times)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Marantz PMD661 Firware Update Disaster - HELP!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2012, 12:31:05 PM »
So if I read and recall this correctly, you copied the file via the usb to the recorder and that copy failed.  You then attempted to boot with that partial firmware update?

So for others who may face this..  Could this potentially been avoided if the checksum of the firmware file had been verified before attempting the reboot with the card in the recorder?  Maybe by doing the copy via a card reader rather than the recorder?

Given the $200 price, I might consider popping for a new Tascam dr100mk2 at $280.

Offline LeftoverSammy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • MG's FUCKIN' A!!
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2012, 02:13:11 PM »
So if I read and recall this correctly, you copied the file via the usb to the recorder and that copy failed.  You then attempted to boot with that partial firmware update?

So for others who may face this..  Could this potentially been avoided if the checksum of the firmware file had been verified before attempting the reboot with the card in the recorder?  Maybe by doing the copy via a card reader rather than the recorder?

Given the $200 price, I might consider popping for a new Tascam dr100mk2 at $280.

Only partially correct. When the firmware file copy failed to the PMD, the PC lost the USB connection to the PMD. When the USB to the PMD was lost it caused it to lock up. I was forced to remove power supply and batteries to get the PMD to reboot. It was at that point when the PMD tried to update the firmware to V2.03 and wouldn't allow me to bypass (even pressing no for updated didn't work), so I thought I was lucky and the file was copied complete. During the upgrade all appeared to go well until the unit just locked up and a white screen appeared and just hung up.

I too have been in contact with Superscope. Super nice folks and yes I had to send the unit in. I was told by one of the techs they have seen this before but more on the 660's so it is a known issue that has happened. I was told at max it should be $200 if they have to replace the EPROM. Ya that sucks indeed but WTF, shit happens.

As far as dumping it and moving onto a Trashcan DR100MK2??? I don't think so....I run a pre/AD into the 661 via SPDIF which the Trashcan doesn't have......no thank you.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 02:14:45 PM by LeftoverSammy »
Microtech Gefell SMS2000's (M20 & M21 caps) > Luminous Audio Monarch II's or Audio Magic Silvers > MixPre 3
Grace Designs V3
Marantz PMD661
Core Sound Stealthy Cardiod mics > Battbox> Tascam DR-7

Former Nak CM300 & CM700 Vet (CP1, CP2, CP3 & CP4 caps), MX-100

Its 420.....24/7.....365!! :-)

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2012, 02:44:18 PM »
Tascam Press Release:

"Tascam has added an S/PDIF electric digital input to the DR-100mkII. "
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline LeftoverSammy

• Taperssection Member
  • MG's FUCKIN' A!!
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2012, 06:03:33 PM »
Tascam Press Release:

"Tascam has added an S/PDIF electric digital input to the DR-100mkII. "

Only has 3/32” (2.5 mm) TRS jack (using the conversion cable made for this unit). So yes, it has a SPDIF format but not with standard coax, you need the special cable conversion from Tascam. I'll stick with the coax connector. It's going to be more durable IMO in the long run for field use. Just my opinion.....
Microtech Gefell SMS2000's (M20 & M21 caps) > Luminous Audio Monarch II's or Audio Magic Silvers > MixPre 3
Grace Designs V3
Marantz PMD661

Offline LeftoverSammy

• Taperssection Member
  • MG's FUCKIN' A!!
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2012, 08:50:30 PM »
UPDATE: Got a call today from Superscope. Tech there told me my 661 have to have the chip reprogrammed and updated to firmware 2.03, no big deal. No fried electronics  ;D  Final estimated repair is $125. Not bad, could have been worse from what I was told. Should be at my house in a week. Once again, be careful if you decide to upgrade your firmware........ ::)

BTW the folks at SuperScope were very professional, helpful and super nice!! If you need any work on your pro Marantz gear this IS the place!!! Top knotch!!  8)

« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 08:53:34 PM by LeftoverSammy »
Grace Designs V3
Marantz PMD661

Offline Diogo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2013, 09:48:14 PM »

Guys ,know the topic is old, but I found the FirmWare A2.03, if this is useful to someone , I'm happy, sorry my bad english I'm using translator.

Link:     https://mega.co.nz/#!ppgVFaAQ!Uy4SiR0tPP0Tl3jiwDI-Yj41IxJohJSNRP9Bn-lLTCE

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2013, 03:05:10 AM »
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com