Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: so what does the 722 sound like?  (Read 49847 times)

marc0789

• Trade Count: (0)
so what does the 722 sound like?
« on: February 18, 2005, 03:18:05 PM »
might be a little too early, but for those with experience with this thing, what would you compare the sound to?

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stomach Full of Regret
Re: so what does the 722 sound like?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 03:19:36 PM »
m148>adk with adjustable gain.  :P

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2005, 03:21:28 PM »
What difference does it make - you're gonna think it sounds like ass, anyway!  :P
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

marc0789

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 04:19:26 PM »
What difference does it make - you're gonna think it sounds like ass, anyway!  :P

c'mon, unfair. you're the one cracking on akgs the other day. the only box I think sounds like ass is the v3. :P

seriously clowns, what would you say it sounds like?

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005, 04:21:13 PM »
unfair?  this is taperssection.com, when did fairness come into play here? :P

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 04:25:41 PM »
most everyone has had the box for 2 days and Marc is looking for what they sound like...funny stuff :P

there will be tapes from raleigh on monday assuming Tim and I can get it to work tonight at the bridge and him on his own at Mule tomorrow though

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005, 04:26:51 PM »
FYI, just got a listmail from 24bit Yahoo group and Nutter is offering BnP's of Mule with the 744T. Might wanna contact him for a BnP.

Edit:

They are 24/176
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2005, 04:31:40 PM »

I have not had time to move the files over to DVD yet.  I did listen with headphones but not good ones so extension is not there when I listened.  

First impression is a very clean and crisp sound.  Not warm at all.  There is probably more detail than these headphones will reveal because I have heard my V3 source though these and then my main system.

I hope to get time tomorrow to make a DVD and get these on the big system.  I don't have the right cables to just patch it in yet.

This was not a great room or sound system.  I'll put up c'ville mule on Monday night.

most everyone has had the box for 2 days and Marc is looking for what they sound like...funny stuff :P

Yeah, this still bothers me that none of the demo 744 stuff was ever circulated.  I guess there was no motivation with so many pre-ordered units.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2005, 04:34:13 PM »

There are a couple of things to keep in mind. First, we are talking SD here. A company that is making these for video/film (and yes tapers), their 442, which is what I gather was the basis for the preamp is crystal clear (ie. transparent)... My guess is it is going to sound like whatever your mics are that you toss up in front of the unit. I highly doubt you're going to find Doug or anybody else wanting to screw with this unit to make it sound any different than it does.

Second, 24-bit recording really has it's own sound. Trying to compare 24-bit to 16-bit recordings I find tough to do because of the level of detail in the 24-bit recordings.

Now, back to the ass question... why is it everybody wants to eithe stick this thing down their pants, or keeps wanting to know about ass?...  ;D

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

marc0789

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2005, 04:44:09 PM »

there will be tapes from raleigh on monday assuming Tim and I can get it to work tonight at the bridge and him on his own at Mule tomorrow though

I thought kwon and nutter had been running them for awhile. vicous assclowns, all of you. ;)

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2005, 04:45:15 PM »

Yeah, this still bothers me that none of the demo 744 stuff was ever circulated.  I guess there was no motivation with so many pre-ordered units.

yeah, but some of that demo stuff had fallen into the hands of people other than the retailers and I don't recall seeing anything circulated other than 1 flawed comp disc, but maybe i missed it.

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2005, 04:49:37 PM »
My guess is it is going to sound like whatever your mics are that you toss up in front of the unit.

It has a very distinct sound to my ears. I can't really discribe it right now, though. It's not transparent at all, imo. If anything, it's colored. So far i've heard the box with 140's and mk41's, and I can hear the 722/44 in both sources.

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2005, 04:51:17 PM »
My guess is it is going to sound like whatever your mics are that you toss up in front of the unit.

It has a very distinct sound to my ears. I can't really discribe it right now, though. It's not transparent at all, imo. If anything, it's colored. So far i've heard the box with 140's and mk41's, and I can hear the 722/44 in both sources.

how is the low-end?  that's my biggest concern, that the low-end might get a little sloppy. 

Offline Kwonfidelity

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Press Record!!!
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2005, 04:52:29 PM »
From initial thoughts, it is much more clear than the 442.  I've been running the sd mixer for over two years now and I've always liked the sound of the front end - pretty transparent, bust also based on Lundahl transformers.  (mk/kc5/cmc>442>v3...)

The sound of the 744T is even more transparent but it also seems to warm over on the top end.  In a 24bit enivronment this shaping is good especially if you have been listening to 24bit for a while - you'll certainly hear the difference of the accuracy on the higher ends because of this trend, instead of at times brittle audio that can be found within the 24bit world.  Some may hear this as colorization, and in essence it is.  But at large it enhances what is already a sensitive region of the sound spectrum.

I listen just about everything through monitors, and the open air of the sound leaves me gasping at what this little armored box can do.

Wayne nails it.  I've taped Schoeps and B&Ks with the 744T.  Your tapes will sound like the mics you put on it.  
Southern Recording, Inc.
High Fidelity Audio Capture

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2005, 04:55:27 PM »
kwon-

are you running it with the xt bodies?  have you done any comps with the regular 6's?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com