Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

Are you sorry you bought the Microtrack?

Yes
30 (25.2%)
No
53 (44.5%)
Not sure yet
36 (30.3%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Author Topic: Poll: Are you sorry you bought A Microtrack?  (Read 18678 times)

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Poll: Are you sorry you bought A Microtrack?
« on: November 09, 2005, 12:39:51 AM »
SSIA Just curious.

Jeff
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
Re: Poll: Are you sorry you bought A Microtrack?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 01:03:40 AM »
right now, yes.

If the channel swap and tendency for it to stop at odd times is fixed, I will be happy with it.   :laugh:   

I think the white noise problem I was having was due to the CF media, so I will not list that as a problem with the MT. Just dumped the 4 GB dane-elec on ebay, gotta pick me up one of those super-fast CF cards.

Given the bugs present right now, been running the ol' trusty dusty D8 for low-pro when I don't want to be checking the MT's display and rebooting all the time. MT is chillin' on the sideline right now, waiting for a new CF card and firmware release.   

Feels really flimsy in my hand too, which I am not so happy with. Feels like something for toddlers from Toys R' Us.  But as a tiny box for pulling 24 bit digi signals it could be tough to beat once the bugs get ironed out.

edit: FWIW I voted not sure yet.   :) 
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 12:25:34 PM by BC »
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 01:04:19 AM »
I think the only reason the bugs in this device have been tolerated for so long and accepted is because so many people ordered it.  I think if it had dropped as a surprise after one person tested it with these bugs people woulda said "fuck it"

with that said I am still seriously considering getting one bc i love its small size.  
mics & cameras

Offline svenkid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 01:10:15 AM »
It works fine so far for my needs, whivch is basically to get it taped, and pop it on my hard drive  :laugh:
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline fuzn

• Taperssection Regular
  • Don't be weird about it.
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005, 01:38:34 AM »
Jesus christ Boogie. HAHAH. You crack me up. +T. I've been having little kinks here and there with this thing, but i'm finally comfortable using it as much as possible. I'm sure they're working on it. I think i'm set on this thing for good.

I really hope the people that were upset with this thing not coming out sooner don't even think about complaining in here.
DPA 4061s > SP-MicroTrack Dongle > M-Audio MicroTrack

Offline jboyzh

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005, 05:37:14 AM »
Right now and in this pricerange, MT ist the optimum for me and beats all alternatives.

Non, je ne regrette rien...

Offline detroit lightning

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005, 07:54:25 AM »
haven't done 24bit yet, and might not for a while....but it's at least a dat replacement

can't beat the size of it, and haven't had any non-user errors yet.  the convenience of not having to deal with dat tapes / quick uploading is what i dig about it most

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2005, 10:26:56 AM »
off topic slightly.. 

how do you guys feel about having no DAT backup?
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2005, 10:30:40 AM »
how do you guys feel about having no DAT backup?

I feel fine about it, though I've been doing it for some time, now.  With or without the DAT backup, it's important to have an appropriate backup / disaster / recovery plan in place.  With sufficient backups, I don't really worry about it at all.  In fact, going back to some of my old DATs...a couple of them are toast, so I'm glad I'm not relying strictly on the tapes.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2005, 12:52:44 PM »
I want one, but am going to wait until after the next firmware release to bite; and I bet a bunch of others are going to do the same. 

24/96 baby.  :)

I'm waiting for a bit as well. It'll be sweet if Oade offers an anaolog stage MOD for this box.
we are the people the rescuers will never find

Offline coloartist

• Trade Count: (13)
  • MGoldey -"you can shove those mics up your ass
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2005, 12:58:47 PM »
I'm happy. There is still work to be done, but I'm at about 80%-90% on 24/48. I have had to restart a recording during encore break twice, so I wouldn't hit the 2 gig barrier, but I don't mind editing out people talking.

24 bit out of the V3 sounds great, Even at 48 instead of 96.
mk4>Kwon/din a/din>kc5>cmc6>kindkables XLR>788T
mk22>Kwon/NOS>kc5>cmc6>kindkablesXLR>788t                                                     
Canon XH-A1 Sony AX100                       
Samsung Backlit LED 55">Pioneer Elite SC-27>Snell Acoustics E.5  Series

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2005, 02:22:55 PM »
tolerated for so long? wtf? this thing hasnt even been out for 2 months yet

It wasn't marketed as a beta product and that is what it is.  Given the number of bugs, I expected more fixes by now.

personally i cant wait until all these folks who are struggling just getting the input levels figured out actually start dealing with 24/96 files on a regular basis and have to learn all the pitfalls inherent with that format

Why should anyone have to figure out input levels?  Why can't the vendor document the gain?  Why should I have to spend hours measuring gain?  Why should anyone have to discover at a concert that these things can't take a consumer level line in signal?

As for blaming the users, I've been dealing with 24/96 since July on my 722 and dealing with terabytes of data for many, many years.  Most cases of user error are the result of poor documentation.

Fortunately, I've only been using it for analog. If I was having the lockups and random channel swaps that the digi users complain about, I'd be really pissed!  ;)

The R-1 seems to be a Much Much more solid product.  As far as I know, it didn't have so many issues when released.  But the way things look, I don't think Edirol is doing any dev work on it. I doubt it will ever support 2 gig splits, etc.  I'd also guess there are already more MTs in the world than R-1.

The MT does raise the bar for any new products that come out.  That is a very good thing.

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2005, 02:42:38 PM »
tolerated for so long? wtf? this thing hasnt even been out for 2 months yet

It wasn't marketed as a beta product and that is what it is.  Given the number of bugs, I expected more fixes by now.

personally i cant wait until all these folks who are struggling just getting the input levels figured out actually start dealing with 24/96 files on a regular basis and have to learn all the pitfalls inherent with that format

Why should anyone have to figure out input levels?  Why can't the vendor document the gain?  Why should I have to spend hours measuring gain?  Why should anyone have to discover at a concert that these things can't take a consumer level line in signal?

As for blaming the users, I've been dealing with 24/96 since July on my 722 and dealing with terabytes of data for many, many years.  Most cases of user error are the result of poor documentation.

Fortunately, I've only been using it for analog. If I was having the lockups and random channel swaps that the digi users complain about, I'd be really pissed!  ;)

The R-1 seems to be a Much Much more solid product.  As far as I know, it didn't have so many issues when released.  But the way things look, I don't think Edirol is doing any dev work on it. I doubt it will ever support 2 gig splits, etc.  I'd also guess there are already more MTs in the world than R-1.

The MT does raise the bar for any new products that come out.  That is a very good thing.

I agree. M-audio is not a mom and pop run business and they have plenty of engineers to get this resolved ASAP. Going on 1 month and not a single other update? Something screwy is going on.
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2005, 04:39:07 PM »

Please detail the showstopping bugs of which you're aware.  Beta schmeta, call it what you wish.  The reality is that companies of all sorts release highly complex technological devices before they're perfect.  It helps stimulate the market and plenty of early adopters are happy they do so.  If it works reasonably well - and IME it does - then it doesn't matter what you call it.

You're obviously not an early adopter.  Instead of getting so wound up about how companies like M-Audio *should* act - esecially since there's nothing you can do to change it - why not just let it go?  We've heard the moaning about releasing it too early, etc. before, and frankly, it's tiresome.  If it doesn't perform as you wish, wait for M-Audio to fix the problems about which you care, or get another device.  Ahhhh, it seems you have the 722 already.  Does it suit your purposes?  Excellent.  (I'm sure *it* didn't have any probelms when it came out.)  ::)  Well, for ~$2,000 less than the 722 I'm now recording at 24-bit without compromising the pre/ADC of my preference.  I, for one, am glad they released it "too early".

Why should anyone have to figure out input levels?

The MT's level meters prove stable for roughly 10-25min.  That's more than enough time to set levels for most people's purposes.  Sure, it's a bug, but not a showstopper.

Why can't the vendor document the gain?

It's a consumer device, despite marketers' suggestions to the contrary.  Consumer-level users generally are not concerned with such specific matters - if they can plug a mic into it and have it work reasonably well, they're all set.  Do what everyone else does if you have questions not covered by the documentation - write M-Audio tech support.

Why should I have to spend hours measuring gain?

You shouldn't, that's why tech support exists.  But most users - and tapers make up a tiny, insignificant percentage of their market base - don't care specifically how much gain each L/M/H stage adds.  They plug it in, and if it records in any one of those settings, they're happy.  If you don't want to test the gain for yourself, call them.  If they still don't address the question, escalate it to a supervisor.  If you don't receive the answer and you're unhappy with their support model and the device, then move along to something else.  This is how the market functions.  Moaning doesn't accomplish anything.

Fortunately, I've only been using it for analog. If I was having the lockups and random channel swaps that the digi users complain about, I'd be really pissed!

I've encountered neither channel swaps (hardly a showstopper, anyway) nor lockups while recording.  This device is not as utterly unstable and useless due to showstopping bugs as everyone seems to think.

For the taper market, anyway, they serve two different purposes:  one primarily as a stealth analog-in recorder, the other as an analog-in recorder, but more importantly a bit-bucket.  The reason it seems more tapers have bought MTs than R1s is because of the digi-in capabilities, IMO.  That's why *I* have it, and I suspect plenty of others as well.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2005, 05:30:52 PM »
Please detail the showstopping bugs of which you're aware.

I'm not their lacky.  Funny thing, I expect to get paid to track bugs for for-profit companies.  Seems like they need to hire some consultants to mop up some of the product issues.

Beta schmeta, call it what you wish.

They call it a BETA.

You're obviously not an early adopter.

Depends on how serious the vendor is about correcting problems.  There are so many, that I maintain it is a bit of a joke.  Me calling them and saying "Hey, I just noticed channels swap on digital input!" seems kinda silly.  Or, "Hey, it just hung on me!"  Or "Hey, I just lost my config again and it is back to factory defaults!".  "Hey, the meters don't work!".  Etc.

This is stuff that comes up within a few hours use.  Bugs that obvious should be corrected before release.

Instead of getting so wound up about how companies like M-Audio *should* act - esecially since there's nothing you can do to change it - why not just let it go?  We've heard the moaning about releasing it too early, etc. before, and frankly, it's tiresome.

I'm not wound up - I develop product for a living and I tell it like it is.
Perhaps I was mistaken about the subject of this thread?

If it doesn't perform as you wish, wait for M-Audio to fix the problems about which you care, or get another device.

So... Is there a schedule for a formal PRODUCTION release (aka, Not Beta)?  No?
Well, how about a list of issues that will be corrected in the next release?

Ahhhh, it seems you have the 722 already.  Does it suit your purposes?  Excellent.  (I'm sure *it* didn't have any probelms when it came out.)  ::) 

Let's stick to something more comparable.

How many problems did the R-1 have when it was released?

The MT's level meters prove stable for roughly 10-25min.  That's more than enough time to set levels for most people's purposes.  Sure, it's a bug, but not a showstopper.

That is pathetic.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com