Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MicroTrack 24/96 Beta 1.2.0  (Read 47545 times)

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
Re: MicroTrack 24/96 Beta 1.2.0
« Reply #135 on: December 06, 2005, 07:34:38 AM »
- I don't care if it's not 24 bit it sounds fine to me.

Ummmm why would you think it is not 24bit ?

If you'd done your homework you should know...

http://home.rustradio.org/~rdvdijk/microtrack/index-old.html

Ummmmm, right back at cha ...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline silentmark

« Reply #136 on: December 06, 2005, 07:37:30 AM »
i guess i still don't get what you're getting at, the unit records 24bit.
If I'm understanding the link correctly http://home.rustradio.org/~rdvdijk/microtrack/index-old.html I think the point is whilst the microtrack is recording 24bit, due to the noise floor there's really only 18 bit of "good" data to use.

The tests on that page do look very odd, particularly the left channel "wavering" it would be interesting to run the same test on other peoples MT's to see if it's just a problem with the one they tested.

I believe these are old tests done when the MT first came out ... If you do your 'homework' and search this site abit, you'll find folks recording at 24 bit. If I am wrong, please provide me (and others) with more documentation showing this.
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #137 on: December 06, 2005, 08:08:37 AM »
- I don't care if it's not 24 bit it sounds fine to me.

Ummmm why would you think it is not 24bit ?

If you'd done your homework you should know...

http://home.rustradio.org/~rdvdijk/microtrack/index-old.html

Great link!  Very interesting results as well.  Looks like running analog in on 24 bit may be pointless.
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline cybermansrev

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #138 on: December 06, 2005, 08:11:04 AM »

I believe these are old tests done when the MT first came out ... If you do your 'homework' and search this site abit, you'll find folks recording at 24 bit. If I am wrong, please provide me (and others) with more documentation showing this.

My post was aiming to try and explain to Ed what I thought koops was alluding to with his link.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 08:53:21 AM by cybermansrev »

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #139 on: December 06, 2005, 08:12:08 AM »

My post was aiming to try and explain to Ed what I thought koops was alluding to with his link. Although I must admit I haven't seen any of the "new tests" you refer to showing a lower noise level from line input, could you kindly point them out?
I would never be a rude as to suggest anyone does their "homework"  :)

I could be wrong, but I don't think a new firmware could change the noise floor of a preamp - you'd have to swap out the preamp to do that.
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline silentmark

« Reply #140 on: December 06, 2005, 08:41:44 AM »

My post was aiming to try and explain to Ed what I thought koops was alluding to with his link. Although I must admit I haven't seen any of the "new tests" you refer to showing a lower noise level from line input, could you kindly point them out?
I would never be as rude as to suggest anyone does their "homework"  :)

My post was not directed at you cyberman, but koops, who suggested I do my homework. Sorry for the confusion ...

Offline cybermansrev

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #141 on: December 06, 2005, 09:12:10 AM »
I could be wrong, but I don't think a new firmware could change the noise floor of a preamp - you'd have to swap out the preamp to do that.

I must say I was thinking the same thing, especially since running analog in according to many on here seems to have ~13db of gain. Suggesting even "line in" is going via the preamp, however M-Audio did flip the LMH switch via firmware so maybe it's possible to at least erradicate the preamp noise and use an external preamp.

Offline koops

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #142 on: December 06, 2005, 09:23:56 AM »
By posting to this forum my intention was not to get caught up in an arguement about the lack of 24 bit recording (except via digi-in), but to provide the users of this forum with a list of compatible CF cards as given directly from the horses mouth, I'm sorry if I offended anybody by doing this.

If however you are interested in the link I supplied about the noise floor analysis, there is an updated page on that very website with more results (but still omitting digi-in):

http://home.rustradio.org/~rdvdijk/microtrack/

I agree it would be nice to have more results from different units, as that comb-filtering effect does appear to be rather odd.  Having done several of my own tests, I concluded similar results - that analogue recording is only capable of a dynamic range of around 96 dB (16 bit), but I'm not entirely skilled in the art of spectral analysis. 

As I stated in my initial post; I don't care if it's not 24 bit, it sounds great to me!  8)

Has anyone seen this rather cheesy, but cool, vid yet?..

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=media.video&ID=032c69c4299f8d8017566448f7bed0b4

Funny how it doesn't show him getting frustrated with the clunky nav wheel!

« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 09:30:29 AM by koops »

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #143 on: December 06, 2005, 09:45:18 AM »
i don't think you offended, no need to worry.  I was just a bit confused there at first, but the digi in on the thing is all i really care about.

as for the vid, thats new to me, and its hilarious!

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #144 on: December 06, 2005, 11:14:59 AM »
By posting to this forum my intention was not to get caught up in an arguement about the lack of 24 bit recording (except via digi-in)

Well, to be fair - and thanks to Boogie and others for highlighting this some time ago - I don't know of an external portable pre/ADC used by tapers that provides a full 24-bit digital stream, since that would require 144dB of dynamic range.  Commonly used taper gear, (A) = A-weighted:

123 dB (A)  | Mytek Stereo192 ADC
120 dB (A)  | Benchmark ADC1
117 dB (A)  | Benchmark 2402 (Sonic AD2K+)
114 dB (A)  | Sound Devices 722/744
110 dB (A)  | Grace Design Lunatec V3
108 dB (A)  | M-Audio Firewire 410
105 dB      | Mini-Me
100 dB      | Fostex FR-2
 98 dB (A)  | M-Audio MicroTrack
 94 dB      | Marantz PMD-671
  ?         | Tascam HD-P2
unpublished | Edirol UA-5
unpublished | Edirol R-1
unpublished | Edirol R-4
unpublished | Tascam DV-RA1000

And koops - you'll get used to threads rambling swiftly off-topic if you hang around for a while.  :)

Edit: to update list per replies with gear I left out.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 12:52:24 AM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #145 on: December 06, 2005, 12:14:16 PM »
Well, to be fair - and thanks to Boogie and others for highlighting this some time ago - I don't know of an external portable pre/ADC used by tapers that provides a full 24-bit digital stream, since that would require 144dB of dynamic range

that statement is a bit mis-leading, as all "24 bit gear" (i.e. the mytek, the V3, the Mini-Me, etc, etc..) does output a "full 24-bit digital stream"  the question is whether or not all the bits contain useful information, or are just encoding the noise from the analog gear in front of it, and therefore taking advantage of the full capability of 24 bit encoding.  regardless of the analog noise of a pre-amp or A/D converter, a 24-bit signal is being transmitted and recorded.

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #146 on: December 06, 2005, 12:15:31 PM »
did anyone see this review for the noise analysis?

http://www.sonicstudios.com/mt2496rv.htm#

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #147 on: December 06, 2005, 12:15:40 PM »
Has anyone seen this rather cheesy, but cool, vid yet?..

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=media.video&ID=032c69c4299f8d8017566448f7bed0b4

Funny how it doesn't show him getting frustrated with the clunky nav wheel!

If I were him, I'd be more concerned with getting frustrated with my fake dread locks.  Seriously, those can't be real.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 01:26:15 PM by mojomonkee »

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #148 on: December 06, 2005, 12:16:54 PM »
that statement is a bit mis-leading [snip]

Good clarification, Jason, thanks.  :)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #149 on: December 06, 2005, 12:25:07 PM »
By posting to this forum my intention was not to get caught up in an arguement about the lack of 24 bit recording (except via digi-in)

Well, to be fair - and thanks to Boogie and others for highlighting this some time ago - I don't know of an external portable pre/ADC used by tapers that provides a full 24-bit digital stream, since that would require 144dB of dynamic range. 

Exactly. I first brought up the 144dB issue 3 or 4 pages back, and someone pointed out that even the $8000 Nagra V only has 96dB of dynamic range, so running analog into it is even more "pointless" than with the Microtrack.

Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com