Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Is there Brickwalling in hard disc recorders?  (Read 2065 times)

Offline gratefulphish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
Is there Brickwalling in hard disc recorders?
« on: January 09, 2007, 11:32:39 PM »
I know with my DA-P1, you could get brickwall distortion if you turned the levels below about 3.25, with the level peaks at 0 db.  Does the same problem exist in some/all hard disc recorders?  If so, where is that level, and what can be done to avoid it (other than mic line attenuators)?  Specifically looking for info relating to R-4s or R-4 Pros.  Thanks.
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
Re: Is there Brickwalling in hard disc recorders?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 10:46:57 AM »
I am having a mod done to the deck to replace the stock pre's, and was hoping (maybe) to avoid the need for a V3 or other preamp A/D converter.  So if I was running into the decks pre's, does it still have the brickwalling issue?
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 11:01:34 AM »
the R4 should be able to handle normal concert volumes without brickwalling as long as you run line-in. Line-in on the r4 is basically just a pad so you can still use it's phantom to power your mics. You have no technical need for an external pre/ad (though you may prefer the sound a specific pre and wish to use it instead of the R4 pre).

who is modding your unit? It's my understanding that some of the common mods lower the gain and allow you to run mic-in.

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 01:43:09 PM »
Busman mod.  I have not received the unit yet, but I did not know that you could run the mics to line in, and still give them phantom power. The R-4 Pro has input sensitivity levels, that according to them, act as a 20 db pad in their lowest setting.  How much effective padding would there be going line in?

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 04:21:57 PM »
Busman mod.  I have not received the unit yet, but I did not know that you could run the mics to line in, and still give them phantom power. The R-4 Pro has input sensitivity levels, that according to them, act as a 20 db pad in their lowest setting.  How much effective padding would there be going line in?
I believe that the line-in is the same thing as the sensitivity settings they are talking about.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com