Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: D-8 HELPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!  (Read 2053 times)

Offline gratefulphish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
D-8 HELPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!
« on: January 20, 2007, 02:11:10 PM »
This of course had to happen, two days before my R-4 Pro arrives.  Last night I taped a show, TLM 170Rs>V3>D8.  The meters were on and working on the V3 and D-8, and all appeared well with the world. When I got home, I had digital garbage.  Signal in and out.  Put the tape in my home deck, and same thing.  Could not even lock on the Fs or read A Time at times.  I tested things this morning, running a CD player in thru the Oade into the D-8, thinking it might have been a bad interconnect.  Same issue.  You could hear things fine through the headphones, meters were running fine, but playback is total dropout, diginoise, signal in and out.  This setup worked fine two days ago.

1.  Is it my 7 pin, although the meters fully light up and seem to be getting constant signal, no "no input" message.

2.  Are my heads just gone, out of alignment etc.?  although this would seem rather sudden, as it was fine the other day.

3.  Something else?

Any help would be appreciated, as I need to run tonight, and I will have to rely on my iffy DA-P1 otherwise.   Thanks.
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

Offline ethan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
Re: D-8 HELPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 02:24:52 PM »

2.  Are my heads just gone, out of alignment etc.?  although this would seem rather sudden, as it was fine the other day.

I'm putting money on this. Do you have a DAT cleaner? Can you examine the head? Look for scratches.

I'm also certain you can do a wet clean with q-tip and rubbing alcohol.

It could aslo be:

4. Bad Media
5. Head amplifier shot. The head amplifier amplifies the signal that's passed to the head.
COtapers.org - "We're higher than your average taper"

Offline gratefulphish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 02:45:07 PM »
The heads appear clean, I used a flashlight and magnifying glass to look.  It is not a media issue, as I tried another tape, recorded fine in another deck, and repeated bad behavior in the D-8.  If the head amplifier was shot, would the meters still show full signal?  That might be it.
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

Offline ethan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 03:55:03 PM »
The heads appear clean, I used a flashlight and magnifying glass to look.  It is not a media issue, as I tried another tape, recorded fine in another deck, and repeated bad behavior in the D-8.  If the head amplifier was shot, would the meters still show full signal?  That might be it.

Yeah cause the head amplifier is the final stage before the numbers are written on the tape and well after the AD converter.

-e
COtapers.org - "We're higher than your average taper"

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com