Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices 722 vs Korg MR 1000  (Read 34834 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Re: Sound Devices 722 vs Korg MR 1000
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2007, 07:39:08 PM »
same here.
I dump them to DVDs and then straight into the case.
also, on the hard drive in DSD, 24/96 and redbook.
I have since stopped w/the 24bit action.  not necessary.

Offline timP

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2007, 07:49:39 PM »
just checking,

what do you use to covert from DSD>rebook?

is it a bear or yr PC as far as time and processing?
?>FR2LE

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2007, 07:52:03 PM »
so......I can still burn TRUE DSD to DVD-R as data tho ??? as a backup......So I could essentially have a whole EXHDD dedicated to DSD as a backup ??? then retransfer to listen to on the deck if needed?

This is more or less what I am doing with my DSD recordings. Archiving them on massive hard drives and transfering them to the recorder for true DSD playback when I get the urge. I guess I should also be backing up to dvd optical discs or redundant hard drives. AudioGate is nice for a quick listen on the PC, PCM copies for friends/uploading or PCM for car listening.

Damnit. As soon as I FINALLY get settled onto the sound Ive been looking for, some new fuckin technology has to tempt me once again :P ;D

I have to resist the urge for at least 3-4 more years. By then I'm sure it will be a little more widely available and there are more than one company selling portable models :) I'm sure its killer, but I have to stay away from it for awhile 8)

Besides, for once I am happy with the sound I am getting consistently, which has really never happened before so consistently, so I am gonna stick with 48x>722 for quite sometime, If it sounded this good in 16-bit(which im sure it does) and that was my only option, was running 48x>722(16-bit) I would run it at 16-bit, just saying......I dont care what resolution mine is in(24-bit obviously) but it sounds good combo-wise and i'll stick with 24-bit for awhile i guess. or til i hear a 722 equivalent in the DSD market that is....

TimP - I know that with the Korg MR-1 and MR-1000 there is a program called AudioGate that converts DSD>PCM :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2007, 08:11:29 PM »
yup, the audiogate software does the format conversion.  Its quick.  on my laptop a 1 hour set might take 15min to process to redbook.

Offline Gizby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2007, 08:32:07 PM »
yup, the audiogate software does the format conversion.  Its quick.  on my laptop a 1 hour set might take 15min to process to redbook.
Are you happy with the DSD>Redbook conversion on Audiogate? I've been cautious and converting it to 24/96 or 48 and then dithering down to Redbook in Audition [w/Ozone]. But I'll be damned if that doesn't take a lot of extra time and space to do. I just remember a few people complaining that converting straight to Redbook gave them weird/bad results. Have there been any new versions of Audiogate which have improved performance?
Mics: DSP mod Oktava MK012s, CAD E100S (2), Studio Projects C4s, SP-CMC-2, Polsen OLM-20
Preamps/BB: Sound Devices MixPre, SP-SPSB-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam DR‑05
Video: Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4

Team SoCal

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2007, 09:40:16 PM »
there was one audiogate update, recently.
it was bundled w/the firmware.

no issues what so ever going DSD>Redbook.
works like butta

Offline boyacrobat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2007, 05:57:35 AM »
dont overlook the fact dsd is a more deeper sound arena which allows more info in a split second to be rec than pcm.
that means more bits available to capture the sound each second. much more.
result is audible. piss on decimated anything even if pcm.
why rec now with decimated formula when dsd is smoking with more bits available for capture.

in battle pcm is a pistol 6 rounds, dsd is machine gun, in battle performance is everything.
want results, take the dsd to battle.

g

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2007, 09:04:20 AM »
there are not more "bits" in DSD.  Its 1 bit. 
its the sample rate that is outrageous.
Everything is done in that single bit.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2007, 09:31:11 AM »
dont overlook the fact dsd is a more deeper sound arena which allows more info in a split second to be rec than pcm.

Incorrect.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2007, 09:39:05 AM »
is it?
I think he's trying to talk about the sample rate being 64 times that of redbook CD standards, and that is A LOT more data being recorded per second, in terms of samples.

even recording at 192kHz, its what, 16 times more info per second? in normal DSD mode.  Let alone the 5.6gHz sample rate of the MR1k.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2007, 09:39:57 AM »
but..
is the DSD magic in the sample rate being so high?  or is it in the 1bit "zen" approach to how its written?
beats me.
I just like it.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2007, 10:06:28 AM »
even recording at 192kHz, its what, 16 times more info per second? in normal DSD mode.  Let alone the 5.6gHz sample rate of the MR1k.

The hype and fanboyism is getting deep and thick! The hype about guns, bullets and battle is just sad.

Megahertz, not gigahertz.

24 bits x 96000 samples/second = 2304000 bits/second

Sheesh.

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2007, 10:11:02 AM »

The hype and fanboyism is getting deep and thick! The hype about guns, bullets and battle is just sad.

Megahertz, not gigahertz.

24 bits x 96000 samples/second = 2304000 bits/second

Sheesh.

Yep I agree it sounds like hype but have you HEARD it yet for yourself? We do own the products & we have recorded before in PCM & WE all hear the difference, so I ask again HAVE YOU heard either of these recorders yet?
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2007, 10:41:14 AM »
Yep I agree it sounds like hype but have you HEARD it yet for yourself? We do own the products & we have recorded before in PCM & WE all hear the difference, so I ask again HAVE YOU heard either of these recorders yet?

I'd like to hear it... but that's a big part of the problem - I can't.

I'm all for better sound but I have no plans to record in a format where I must use the recorder as a playback device.  I have 2+ terabytes of 24/96 pcm masters... And in the korg dsd approach I'm supposed to copy those onto the recorder for playback?  Right..  Unfortunately, momentum for dsd authoring and playback doesn't really seem to be building.

The current korg products seem short-lived. They may or may not be replaced by new models in the future.  So far I haven't been impressed by the customer support coming from Korg (compared to SD).

If there was actually a viable path to using DSD (market demand, playback and authoring), sound devices would likely release a DSD a/d board for the 7xx series.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com