Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Fostex FR2-le "IN DA FIELD" (fr2le thread, pt 2)  (Read 49891 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Fostex FR2-le "IN DA FIELD" (fr2le thread, pt 2)
« on: February 09, 2008, 04:19:37 PM »
This weekend was my first outing w/the new Oade HD mod Fostex fr2le.
this is a *tapers deck* !  way cool features.

1. ergonoics.
the layout of this deck blows its big brother away (the fr2).  Having the gain and the trim *on the same face* is a godsend.  the straight fr2 had the trim on top and the gain on the front.  it sucked.
This box is barely larger than a Marantz 660.  Very close to a 722 in size, but a little thicker (and lighter).
Its plastic...so its not exactly SD/Grace build quality..but it is fine.

2. Metering
This is where things get good.  on the top LCD screen you get the same cluttered layout as the FR2.  Metering is good.  Nice little segmented bars w/a quick peak hold that you easily calibrate.   Hard to see in the bag though...but they thought of that.  It also has LEDs on the front, which you can see easily when you have it sitting up in a gear bag.  These meters just show you the peak level, and nothing behind it.  They stay lit up for about 2 seconds.  The meters run in db from 48 24 12 6 3 and over.  So you know that if you are recording 24 bit and peaking at -6db, you are in the neighborhood of being -8db to -4db (averaging at -6db, which is the LED segment).  So it gives you an "at a glance" average of your levels.  the low tech approach, you could say.  I think its handy as hell.

3. Battery
BRAVO FOSTEX !
takes a 7.2v RC battery.  Has a built in locking Tiama plug.  Comes w/a RC sized AA sled that you can load 4xAAs into.  I get 5 hours of record time (light on, though unnecessary) on 2900mAh NiMH's.  It will run for a few hours more w/a 3800mAh 7.2v RC battery.
Also powers very nicely w/my custom Toshiba laptop batteries that output around 12v when fully charged, though I have not tested them to see how the deck reacts as voltage drops (yet).  It wants 12v DC ...according to the manual.

Phantom is software controlled (no switch) so its either on or off, and it remembers its settings when you turn it off.  Note to self w/that..., either keep it off and turn it on manually when you are recording, or keep it on and remember to plug your mics in *BEFORE* you turn it on.  wouldnt want to damage a mic by plugging it into a hot jack. 
As for the HIGH DEF mod, I dont know what it sounded like stock, but this thing is super 3d sounding.  very detailed.  I like it ...thus far.
I'll be uploading lots of recording w/this unit in the coming weeks, and a full review on nickspicks.com is pending.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 04:24:05 PM by Nick's Picks »

Offline Nick's Picks

Re: Fostex FR2-le "IN DA FIELD" (fr2le thread, pt 2)
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 04:25:04 PM »
oh, and this may have (and likely has) been covered in the previous 25 page thread...but I didn't read through that before acquiring the deck.
:)

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 05:56:32 PM »
Having the gain and trim on the same face isn't that big a deal unless you record with different mics often. If you record with the same mics then adjusting the trim isn't really necessary once you get them set and when you do all further adjustments are made with the level knob. If you audition various mics frequently it's a very nice feature, especially if you keep the deck in a bag. Only two complaints, the trim knobs are tiny and the small indent is very difficult to see. Marking the indent with some type of paint/nail polish etc is almost mandatory. A trip to rat shack to see if there are some larger knobs that will fit over the stock knobs is on my "to do" list.

Metering, make sure you update the firmware to the latest version to take full advantage of the front meters. After getting used to the LCD screen on the FR2, I find myself using the LCD screen on the LE more than I use the front LEDs. Very nice to have the option.

Power options, best setup I've seen and hands down the best on any recorder I've owned. Except for the first time, I've run it on 2500mAh AAs. They weren't fully charged the first time I ran it so I plugged in a 9.6v 3000mAh RC battery to the built in Tamiya connector and it ran fine. The 9.6 didn't fit in the battery compartment but I ran in the open and didn't have to worry about space limitations. Can't say I would recommend making a regular habit of it but the unit hasn't exhibited any signs of damage from the additional voltage. I figured if it could run on 6v (4AAs), 7.2 (the RC that fits the battery compartment) or 12v from the ac adapter the 9.6 would be ok.

While I still prefer the FR2, the LE will get regular use and in unfamiliar venues and those that don't allow much room for tapers, the LE will be the "go to" deck.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 06:03:26 PM by flipp »

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 06:22:11 PM »
when adjusting the trim pots (which are tiny, you're right) I look at the levels, not the lines.  I dont care where the lines are.
:)
I see your point though.

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 12:35:05 AM »
Three questions...

Can't say I would recommend making a regular habit of it but the unit hasn't exhibited any signs of damage from the additional voltage. I figured if it could run on 6v (4AAs), 7.2 (the RC that fits the battery compartment) or 12v from the ac adapter the 9.6 would be ok.

[It] takes a 7.2v RC battery.  Has a built in locking Tamiya plug.  Comes w/a RC sized AA sled that you can load 4xAAs into.  I get 5 hours of record time (light on, though unnecessary) on 2900mAh NiMH's.  It will run for a few hours more w/a 3800mAh 7.2v RC battery.
Also powers very nicely w/my custom Toshiba laptop batteries that output around 12v when fully charged, though I have not tested them to see how the deck reacts as voltage drops (yet).  It wants 12v DC ...according to the manual.

-If it will run on anything from 6-12V, that's good to hear. I'd also like to know the minimum voltage before shutdown when you get a chance to run that test.

the layout of this deck blows its big brother away (the fr2).  Having the gain and the trim *on the same face* is a godsend.
-Where do you have the trim set with the Beyers?

-Lastly, will this take a board feed without overloading? 1/4" or XLR ins?

EDIT: link to Part I
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,62698.0.html
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 03:14:21 PM by CliveStaples »
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 08:25:20 AM »
it looks as though it will take that voltage range..., but further testing w/an external source is needed.
the rechargeable AAs I use certainly dont put out 6v between the 4 of them.  More like 5.8 and change...

It will take 1/4" inputs via the combo jack.  and you can set it for line level operation.  I'm not sure how this MOD affects that though, and i'll be asking Doug some questions along those lines.
as far as "can it handle it"..., beats me.

for the beyers, I'm running the gain at around 10 and the trims at around noon.  That was a bit hot for normal 24bit recording though.  But...thats how I roll.

Offline Jammin72

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 11:20:43 AM »
At the Lincoln I was able to run at 3 on the trims no problem with the 480's and we all know how hot those things run. Of course that was with the House PA...
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 11:58:40 AM »
Nice summary.. I've been following the other thread but it is long...  This device deserves a FAQ to help new/potential users get up to speed.

I have never seen anyone explain the gain range available.  With a v3, it is obvious. With a 722, it is obvious..  Anyone have it sorted out for the fr2le?

Offline George2

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 02:16:16 PM »
I don't see a FR2-LE HiDef mod on Oades website.  Which mod are you talking about?
Sennheiser 418s>SDMixPre-D>RO9HR
Beyer MC930>Fostex FM3>NagraSD
Couple of Schoeps CMT441 too.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 05:37:03 PM »
Its new...and I believe mine is the first.  but not sure.

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 05:45:10 PM »
Its new...and I believe mine is the first.  but not sure.

You've got the first ACM version I believe.  Mine's a warm type.

Offline George2

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 05:53:41 PM »
So... you don't know what you have?....HD is such a buzz word....   I would want to know.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 06:02:34 PM »
no, i know what I have.  the HD mod..., and it is ACM like.  it was going to be "super advanced concert mod", but after listening Doug decided to call it the High-Definition MOD.

whatever...
it has ACM sounding characteristics.

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2008, 06:08:21 PM »
no, i know what I have.  the HD mod..., and it is ACM like.  it was going to be "super advanced concert mod", but after listening Doug decided to call it the High-Definition MOD.

whatever...
it has ACM sounding characteristics.

And sounds really good on the Duo pull. "Efortless" is the best buzz word I can come up with in the transparency of the box.  Can't wait to hear what you come up with later in a less limiting room.  Those beyers are a nice surprise as well.

Offline George2

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2008, 06:09:06 PM »
Good enough. Did you happen to get a test report graph.. I'd be interested in the mod if someone would test it and put it on paper.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.293 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com