Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: if a digital recording goes to 0db, its ok, but if its over....  (Read 2048 times)

Offline heyitsmejess

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
if a digital recording goes to 0db, its ok, but if its over....
« on: February 24, 2008, 03:56:03 AM »
...then you run into brickwalling, right?

please correct me if im wrong.

thanks!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 03:58:27 AM by heyitsmejess »
cause we zig and zag between good and bad
stumble and fall on right and wrong

http://www.rumpkemountainboys.org/

Offline nickee

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: if a digital recording goes to 0db, its ok, but if its over....
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 05:07:15 AM »
No. Brickwalling is when the preamp of the recorder overloads. Lowering the input gain wont fix it and this can happen regardless of what levels the recording peaks at. This is analog distortion. This happens mostly when recording loud sounds using microphone inputs or recording from a soundboard that sends +4dbu. The recording will sound fine during the quiet parts but will sound bad during the louder parts.

If you record a signal and the meter goes over 0db the digital distortion that results is usually called "clipping". This is when the analog to digital converter overloads.

Offline ghellquist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 05:25:25 AM »
Agree that clipping is a better term. Brickwalling I have only seen used in describing limiters.

Regardless, what it will sound like depends on the exact equipment. Some of them sound decent despite beeing above 0dB, some sound like total disaster. The safe bet is stay well away from 0dB FS. Personally I work hard to not get peaks above -12dB FS when tracking, and then raise levels at home. But then I only record classical acoustical music.

Gunnar

Offline heyitsmejess

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 11:34:07 AM »
thanks for the replies, all!

i had a recording that came out with several peaks at exactly zero, but it hasnt went over.

ive been listening for the tell tale "pops" that come with a digital peak, but cant hear them, tho soundforge picks them out as clips.

i guess i will just go with it.  thanks again!
cause we zig and zag between good and bad
stumble and fall on right and wrong

http://www.rumpkemountainboys.org/

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 05:23:40 PM »
Well, just to confuse things, there's something called intersample peaks - see http://www.sonicstate.com/news/shownews.cfm?newsid=5526

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 11:28:35 PM »
Ozpeter, this is a good piece of evidence that the conventional mental picture which most of us were taught about digital recording has a few things wrong with it. If that mental model were correct, this should not be possible, yet digital signals that will cause intersample peaks above 0 dBFS in a DAC can be calculated for any given output filter design--just take the inverse of the filter's impulse response.

But such signals have essentially no chance of occurring in live music recording; the probabilities are astronomically small. If everyone on earth made digital recordings continuously from now until the Sun burns out, it still might or might not occur even once in all those recordings.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline itook2much

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 12:26:30 AM »
I use Sound Forge, & on some shows I've had peaks that hit 0dB (or over) that showed as clips, but there was no audible distortion.  So an occasional clip may be OK, but you wouldn't want the whole recording that hot.
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > CS BB > Edirol R-09

Backups:  DPA 4060 (1/8"), SP-BMC-2, SP-SPSB-6, Sony MZ-NH1

Quote from: tomluvsgiants
rule #1 - get the show taped
rule #2 - see rule #1    >:D

Quote from: Grace Hopper
“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 07:23:57 PM »
But such signals have essentially no chance of occurring in live music recording; the probabilities are astronomically small. If everyone on earth made digital recordings continuously from now until the Sun burns out, it still might or might not occur even once in all those recordings.
I have a strange way of getting my fun - when I record classical concerts, I take a perverse delight in trying to get the highest peak exactly to zero.  Any normal person would use more sensible settings... now whether amongst my recordings I could in fact find an intersample overload I don't know, but I suspect there could be one or more in there somewhere.  But I don't plan to look!  :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com