Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Volume levels if you are using a battery box with an attenuator  (Read 3046 times)

Offline Elguapo511

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Volume levels if you are using a battery box with an attenuator
« on: September 21, 2019, 02:21:31 AM »
i have a tascam dr-2d and a sound professionals dual channel power supply w the bass roll off swithces.

if I am recording a small club show, how do i set the volumes ...

do I set the tascam at max volume and adjust the power supply volume knob?
do I set the power supply knob at max and mess with the tascam  volume?

also, do these bass roll offs matter?  If i switch the 700khz one on, do i lose the kick drum all together?

seems like i might not want to use it.

any way.. just saw man man and blew it.  thanks.

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Volume levels if you are using a battery box with an attenuator
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 11:04:14 AM »
I don't know about the levels, but I wouldn't use the bass rolloff. You can always EQ the bass in post.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline kuba e

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 12:46:43 PM »
Yes, do not use bass rolloff. You can reduce bass much precise and better in your audio software at home if it is needed.

I don't know what is the power supply knob doing. Does it control voltage to power the mics or is it mics's signal amplification? What exactly battery box are you using? Please send us link. And what mics are you using?

Offline Twenty8

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Heading for a better thesis
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 04:28:29 PM »
Line in at 95-100 (most common setting is 100)
Mic in at 67 (settings vary but below this is generally known to brickwall)

I know nothing about your particular power supply/preamp.

My suggestion is to find and read BOTH Tascam DR2d threads in the Recording Gear section.
Yep, read about 40 pages about your recorder.
Most relevant information about setting levels is found early in the initial thread about the recorder.  However there is a lot about user experience and troubleshooting.

Hopefully someone will reach out here who has that same power supply/roll off.
It's a hell of a recorder for its size and I like mine.
Open/Closed ~ AT U853 (subc, h, c, o):
Decks ~ MixPre 6ii, A10, M10
Pres ~ 2x Oade mod UA-5 (W+, ACM+)
Also ~ Line Audio CM3/CM4/OM1 : AT3031 : AT831 : DR2D

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 12:14:45 PM »
^That.

If running line-in to DR2d you will need to fine-tune levels ahead of the recorder on your outside device, as the 95-100 range of input adjustment on the recorder is not adjustable while recording and not wide enough to offer significant adjustability.

If running mic-in, you can adjust input level on the recorder between 67-100 while recording.  To achieve lowest noise it is generally best to set levels ahead of the recorder such that with the levels peaking where you want them, you end up with a setting closer to 67 than 100.

If i switch the 700khz one on, do i lose the kick drum all together?

That has to be a typo.  700khz is 35,000 x higher than the upper limits of human hearing.  70Hz is typical.  Leave it off unless you have no other option to manage excessive low frequencies without overload.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Elguapo511

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 03:47:30 PM »
1) how does the gain relate to the line or mic in.

Mic has three settings, and I thought that low gain was the same as the line level.
So.. if I am running the input level on the line in from 95-100 does that mean I am running the same as Low Gain if it were set to MIC?

2) will the mic power on/off swith in the dr-2d make a difference?

3)when you say set the volume ahead of the device, you mean with the attenuator on my power box?

im getting my power box, and mic model numbers in order and will post them. thanks in advance for the help.

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 04:27:23 PM »
Set the DR2d mic input sensitivity to low-gain.  Turn mic-power off (the Sound Pro's box will be providing power to the microphones so it is not needed from the recorder's mic-input)

Line-in @ 100 provides approximately the same input sensitivity as Mic-in @ 67  (if mic-input is set to low gain in the menu).

Start by using mic-in @ 67 or line-in @ 95 + no attenuation on the battery box (AKA power box / microphone power supply).   If you find levels are peaking or uncomfortably close to clipping, switch in attenuation on the battery box to get the levels down to a comfortable range.  Done.

However, if levels are too low, use mic-in and raise the input level on the recorder above 67, in combination with no attenuation on the battery box.  Done.

If levels remain too low with the mic-in level raised all the way to 100, switch the mic-in sensitivity to medium-gain and try again.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 04:55:20 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com