Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tapping the TSKB: Mini dv tapes - what to buy?  (Read 2540 times)

Offline thoman8r

• Proud member of the reality-based community
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Let's go Pens!
Tapping the TSKB: Mini dv tapes - what to buy?
« on: June 23, 2008, 11:32:46 AM »
So I just got a Canon HV-30 1080i camcorder and need to purchase some mini dv tapes for it.  Before I place the order, I was hoping someone hear has some expert advice on which tapes are best.  Being a DAT veteran, I am all too aware that choosing a digital tape that will not give you load/unload or other problems is crucial.  So what do you guys think?
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

Offline Josh

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Tapping the TSKB: Mini dv tapes - what to buy?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 12:12:28 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DVM36HD-MiniDV-Minute-Definition/dp/B0006IWQ4E/ref=pd_sim_e_3

those are the best around IMO and probably one of the better prices you'll find.  i was getting them for about 7.25/per tape last winter but prices have gone up about a buck per since then. 

i have an HV20 and shot about 30 hrs last winter in west africa with no problems.  footage turned out great.

my buddy who is a pro videographer also swears by the Sony tapes for HD shooting.

AKG 481/3>bumblebee Miagis>V3>jb3

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 01:25:15 PM »
i have read a few times (including here) that "normal" minidv tapes are the exact same as hd ones
not sure if its true but you might want to look into it
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Josh P

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 02:17:38 PM »
i have read a few times (including here) that "normal" minidv tapes are the exact same as hd ones
not sure if its true but you might want to look into it

yep, I'd just use your standard mini-DV tape if I were you.  But search this forum, other people have responded with the reasons why.

Offline thoman8r

• Proud member of the reality-based community
  • Let's go Pens!
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 03:17:28 PM »
Hmm, ok so now I'm a little torn.  I guess I should state that this camera will be used for home movies only, not concert recording.  Given that fact I'm leaning towards going with the normal (non hi def) tapes.  How common do drop-outs tend to be?
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 03:18:06 PM »
The pro grade tapes are built a bit stronger to withstand the high speed winding of pro grade decks and I THINK they have a chip to preserve the time code.  Please correct me on the latter if I'm wrong.  The HV30 will take any normal MiniDV tape AFAIK and unless you're using pro grade playback decks any normal tape is fine.  The main thing is to stick to one brand.

Offline anarkust

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 10:22:01 PM »
I've done just fine using the Maxell 9 for $20.00 thru Sam's Club.  Biggest problems I've had have been non-tape related.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com