Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Low Levels On Downloaded Shows  (Read 1488 times)

Offline Boedi-taper

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Support Your Local Senior Taper!!!!
Low Levels On Downloaded Shows
« on: September 05, 2008, 12:18:36 AM »
Hello Everyone!
I'm a longtime snail mail trader and have  been downloading shows for just a short time(4 months or so).My question is this: How many shows that you download have low recording levels? It seems like every other show I download,the person who uploads the show doesn't do a very good show boosting the levels.Until I start uploading shows and master shows that I have,are you able to adjust the levels when you upload? Or does it just depend on how the levels were on the master recording when it is uploaded? Thanks for any help..............

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My LMA bookmarks
Re: Low Levels On Downloaded Shows
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 12:53:26 AM »
Hello Everyone!
I'm a longtime snail mail trader and have  been downloading shows for just a short time(4 months or so).My question is this: How many shows that you download have low recording levels? It seems like every other show I download,the person who uploads the show doesn't do a very good show boosting the levels.Until I start uploading shows and master shows that I have,are you able to adjust the levels when you upload? Or does it just depend on how the levels were on the master recording when it is uploaded? Thanks for any help..............
I think different folks subscribe to different vibes when editing shows. I for one edit the show depending on the band like say Punch Brothers or more acoustic bluegrass I will not boost the volume. Also I tape shows at 24/44.1 and when I dither the show to 16 bit I don't always normalize or use another method to get it as close to -0dB. Lately I have stopped making post 16 bit edit and cranked the volume a little instead. To each his own and I think having to turn the volume up a little is the best editing move some times but again that depends on the music and if it was some thing like Mule or Moe. I would want it to rock.
Peace
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline cyfan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • It's not personal
Re: Low Levels On Downloaded Shows
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 02:30:35 PM »
Hello Everyone!

I suppose some folks who don't use wav editing software to master their recordings would simply pass along the recording as it was taped, which could include having very low volume. I've picked up a few shows in the past that had peak levels in the -15 to -20 db range. Couldn't hear them in my car over the engine rattle.

Personally, I master everything on the PC and normalize to 0db (hell, if it just means knocking the tops off a few snare drum smacks, I'll hard limit the sucker even more). But I still want the dynamics between the loud/soft parts of the show.

It's all just personal preference I guess.
Superlux HK8 > Edirol UA-5 > JB3
Multi-tracker: Fostex VF 160 EX

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com