Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps small rig  (Read 33522 times)

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • LMA
Re: Schoeps small rig
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2009, 05:15:48 PM »
If you are simply looking for smallest rig possible then I agree this is your best bet. 

MK4/MK41's>KC5>NBbox>R-09HR. 

no KC5 required - the NBox uses a proprietary "active" cable.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2009, 05:57:18 PM »
Is there a close up picture of an Nbox+ in the ts.com...I cannot see it anywhere when I did the search. Also is there a website where you can purchase an Nbox+ and how much?
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • beep boop
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2009, 07:10:24 PM »
Is there a close up picture of an Nbox+ in the ts.com...I cannot see it anywhere when I did the search. Also is there a website where you can purchase an Nbox+ and how much?

No website....PM schoepsnbox for details on getting one.

Pic:

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,111920.0.html

In: AT853>PMD620
Out: PC>MOTU Ultralite AVB>M-Audio BX8a/Grace m900

DAW: Ableton Live 10

My LMA Recordings

Offline ballerusk

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Soft spot for the sweet spot
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2009, 10:55:57 AM »
Nice, thanks for the picture. If anyone has any more pictures, please share :)

Are these the MK4s by the way? Seems larger than I imagined.

Thanks again for the information, now I need to find what these babies go for and where they can be bought when the itch is too strong (and the bank account stronger).

MK4/MK41 > Nbox (or Nbox+?) > recorder sounds smashing :)
Schoeps MK41s > Schoeps CMRs > Naiant Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2009, 11:25:40 AM »
Nice, thanks for the picture. If anyone has any more pictures, please share :)

It's cap plus connector is what adds to it where as on schoeps site, you just see the cap seperately when looking at pics.

The CCM4Ug seems a tad bigger than the MK4 and it would be nice to be able to shift between cardioid and hypers when it comes to indoors vs outdoor arena. But then again I'm not completely on top of everything here so maybe the other option means I don't need some other thing to carry around with me. :-P

The MK41v ( http://www.schoeps.de/E-2004/supercardioids.html#mk41v ) also seems bigger, but is perhaps better suited for loud music?

the MK (regular) and MK V series caps have two primary differences: front and side address, and one has more of a presence/HF bump while the other doesn't. It's more of a sound/flavor preference then loudness capability. Schoeps' site has all of the relevant data and charts for oogling to compare them.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • beep boop
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2009, 11:32:16 AM »

Look like 41's to me, but you can just barely see the pattern. 4's & 41's are the same size anyway.

They aren't tiny, that's for sure.

My LMA Recordings

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2009, 02:11:57 PM »
A couple of additional points.

The CMR cable housing is quite a bit longer than the housing on the Nbox cable or KC5. Not by too much, but when the capsules are attached and the MK4/CMR combo is placed next to the mk4/CK5 combo it is definitely noticeable and when trying to conceal microphones every millimeter counts. Also if you are using standard Kwon bars, the spacing will be off though the included angle is the same.

Next point would be that the CMR decreases the sensitivity of the capsule by about 50%. The mk41 has a sensitivity of 14mV/PA when paired with an Nbox but only 8mV/Pa with the CMR. So you need more gain from your recorder assuming you are going mk41>CMR>R09HR. If you are using a preamp, in front of the recorder, it may not be a big deal, but then you are adding more bulk and could just use a Nbox.

All this said, I think the mk4V>CMR>R09HR would be a great setup to be used in the standard fashion since the length of the capsule+CMR housing is going horizontal to the axis of the PA. Also, the lower sensitivty might not be a problem since it is louder up front. This combination with a simple single 9V battery is way smaller than Nbox or any other preamp. The MK4V capsule is much more expensive than the MK4 though and if you can't afford the MK4V and want a card, I would go MK4>Nbox since the CMR housing would stick out to much to stealth in the standard fashion.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2009, 04:16:07 PM »
Is the switch on the Nbox pretty secure from accidental switching on/off?  I would use the Nbox in a fanny pack so that would be a concern if I got one down the line. 

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2009, 04:22:55 PM »
Is the switch on the Nbox pretty secure from accidental switching on/off?  I would use the Nbox in a fanny pack so that would be a concern if I got one down the line. 

yes, it is "locking" style.  you have to pull the lever out before it will move up/down.  the multi-pin binder for the active cable also "locks" via threads.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2009, 04:55:10 PM »
Id say cmr>battery box>mic in to R09 is as small as it gets.

alternatively the cmr>church pre>line in to R09 etc is still smaller than an Nbox

cables used on CMRs are a lot thinner than the KC5 cables used on the nbox, so the 2 vs 1 cables shouldnt be a factor. its easy to make a CMR solution with a single KC5-sized cable

CMR & N-Box solutions are pretty comparable in size. The one thing about the CMR's is you need gain, as there is no preamp. Someone was using a mod'd D50's internal pre with good results. But you need both a battery box & a preamp of some sort, where as the N-box has all this in one.Also the CMR's require 2 cables (I think), where as the Nbox has a Y cable - not a huge deal, but every extra bit you don't have to haul when running low-pro helps.
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • beep boop
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2009, 05:42:45 PM »

cables used on CMRs are a lot thinner than the KC5 cables used on the nbox, so the 2 vs 1 cables shouldnt be a factor. its easy to make a CMR solution with a single KC5-sized cable

My N-Box cables definitely do not look like KC5's, they are way way thinner. And I have a 6' for stealthing, and a 10' extension for open taping.

My LMA Recordings

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2009, 06:54:42 PM »

My N-Box cables definitely do not look like KC5's, they are way way thinner. And I have a 6' for stealthing, and a 10' extension for open taping.

Nbox cables are maybe 1/2 the diameter of the KC5 - only the housing that the cap screws into is the same
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2009, 07:36:33 PM »
well there you go, if its schoeps cable its probably the same 3mm 2 conductor+shield that the cmrs use. kc5 cable is 4 conductor+shield

you can buy this straight from redding:

3 Conductor & Shield 4 mm = $10.00 per meter
4 Conductor & Shield 4.4 mm = $10.00 per meter
2 Conductor & Shield 3 mm = $16.00 per meter (CMR/CCM L cable)

Nbox cables are maybe 1/2 the diameter of the KC5 - only the housing that the cap screws into is the same
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2009, 07:37:39 PM »
ms, are the pfas the same circuit you sent me that fits inside of an xlr body?

Offline schoepsnbox

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Nbox...........Zero's and One's
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2009, 07:43:38 PM »
So where is the "magic" in the cmr cables?  How are they powering the capsules at the proper working voltages?  Not being smart here, just wonder how exactly they are confiqured with the capsule ends.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 07:45:10 PM by schoepsnbox »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com