Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Microphone cable limiting volume problem  (Read 2671 times)

Offline VanJay011379

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Microphone cable limiting volume problem
« on: September 01, 2010, 09:57:38 PM »
Hi,

My name is Chris. I was referred to your site from forums.sonyinsider.com.   This is my first post on this site.

I have a Sony HIMD mz-nh900 minidisc recorder.  I would like to record from the microphone input. I use a Sony ecmds70p microphone. I would like to lower the input volume so the microphone doesn't get overloaded.

I tried a cable form Radio Shack at http://www.radioshack.com/product/inStoreAvail.jsp?productId=2102975. However, the volume seem to get reduced too much regardless of the volume level of the cable.  It would appear that the cable cannot allow the full input volume and cuts the volume down too much.

Hence, the microphone picks up too much volume.  When I use the cable, it gets too little. 

Does anyone have any suggestions? I recall using such a cable with this microphone years ago and not having such a problem. I am looking for a cheap solution if possible.   

Is there a specific cable I should purchase that doesn't cut the volume too much?

Would a battery box help?  If so, where could I obtain one?  Could I buy one at a place like Radio Shack?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Chris

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Microphone cable limiting volume problem
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 10:05:38 PM »
why not go line-in? what are you recording? if you must keep it in mic in go into the recording settings and set the recording level to manual and adjust it lower so its not peaking/overloading.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline VanJay011379

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 11:11:04 PM »
I am trying to record a live show through the mic input. 

If I turn the volume limiter the entire way up, the maximum volume is still too low.  W/o the volume limiting cable, the volume gets overloaded. 

If I go to line in, the input volume is way too low. 

Is there a way in the recorder to increase input volume?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 11:12:47 PM by VanJay011379 »

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 07:54:51 AM »

If I turn the volume limiter the entire way up, the maximum volume is still too low.  W/o the volume limiting cable, the volume gets overloaded. 

I think this should be working if going mic in, but if going line in you need a battery box (see below). Even if going mic in, a battery box would be better than your cable though because I think the cable reduces the plug in power voltage the mics receive as well as reducing the signal.

If I go to line in, the input volume is way too low. 

Apparently this mic does not have a battery, so you need a battery box to power it  when going line in. You can get a good small one from Sound Professionals or Church Audio.

Is there a way in the recorder to increase input volume?
Be sure the AGC (automatic gain control is off) and you are in the manual recording mode. Then raise your record levels.

Hi MD units are capable of making great recordings, but your mic does leave a bit to be desired. When you can afford it, think about getting a Church Audio mic and battery box (or better yet a ST-9100 pramp). The plug in power of Hi-MD recorders may be enough to power your mic, but it is not enough to adequately power most good mini-mics. You need a battery box for that.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 08:01:07 AM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 08:57:49 AM »

You really should think about going line in instead of mic in unless you are at a quieter type show (acoustic, etc.), along with a battery box to power your mics.  You can cables from 'the Shack' but they tend to crap out fairly quickly.  You might want to check out www.monoprice.com for basic type audio cables (3.5mm to 3.5mm cables and RCAs, etc.).

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 01:48:55 PM »
It is also worth noting that what you are talking about may not, per se, be the "volume" being a problem, but the mic itself overloading due to high sound pressure levels.  Sony's mics, in general, leave a lot to be desired. 

It looks like your mic has a max SPL of 110dB, which is a good bit lower than most of the mics we use for recording music on this board.  And, that's assuming the mic is properly powered by your MD to begin with.

A proper 9v power supply (i.e., a "battery box") might help, but honestly, I think you're better off going with a different mic. No matter what you do, that mic will not lend *great* or really what I would even call *passable* results for recording music (what is passable being, of course, a matter of opinion).

That mic was $75. You don't need to spend a great deal more than that to have a solution that will really work for recording music.  If you can return it or sell it, I'd recommend doing so, and putting your money to work on some new mics and a new battbox.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline VanJay011379

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 02:02:12 PM »
It is also worth noting that what you are talking about may not, per se, be the "volume" being a problem, but the mic itself overloading due to high sound pressure levels.  Sony's mics, in general, leave a lot to be desired. 

It looks like your mic has a max SPL of 110dB, which is a good bit lower than most of the mics we use for recording music on this board.  And, that's assuming the mic is properly powered by your MD to begin with.

A proper 9v power supply (i.e., a "battery box") might help, but honestly, I think you're better off going with a different mic. No matter what you do, that mic will not lend *great* or really what I would even call *passable* results for recording music (what is passable being, of course, a matter of opinion).

That mic was $75. You don't need to spend a great deal more than that to have a solution that will really work for recording music.  If you can return it or sell it, I'd recommend doing so, and putting your money to work on some new mics and a new battbox.

Thanks everyone for the advice.  Can anyone recommend a mic under $100 that my avoid this problem?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com