Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need advice on recording a demo CD!  (Read 1933 times)

Offline alan900000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
Need advice on recording a demo CD!
« on: May 21, 2004, 03:33:43 PM »
To record drums, bass, guitar and vocals for a demo CD do you think this setup might work: 3 x AT853 > UA5 (or, possibly a Tascam US-122?) > PC. To avoid getting the vocals mushed in with the other instruments, I was considering getting the band to play their pieces as instrumentals first and then overdubbing the vocals using the same mic (AT853). Hopefully this can all be done without creating isolation booths for the bass, drums and guitar although I see this may be necessary. The idea is to create a demo CD that sounds as professional as we can afford it to and also capture some sense of the group's ability to perform live but at the same time try to avoid the murky, washy character of the instruments in a live recording that uses a single mic . . . that's the purpose of the three mics: to try to create some isolation between the drums, bass and guitar so that they don't sound washed together as in a field recording and so that they can still maintain some up-front-ness, punch and presence in the finished product. I haven't bought any of the equipment yet. Still in the information-gathering stage and would appreciate any feedback although I understand this post may be considered more in the realm of home recording than taping. If so, my apologies.

jpschust

Re:Need advice on recording a demo CD!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2004, 04:25:49 PM »
alan, theres a lot to learn still.  there are a number of books out there, let me see if i can dig up the titles for you.  i think you'd be best served by doing quite a bit of reading before you dive right in.

ill get some names for you within an hour or so

jpschust

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2004, 04:27:47 PM »
found it faster than i thought- this was my intro book and i think its a pretty good overview of whats goin on and should give you some techniques

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0240804562/qid=1083173365/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-5227209-6786239?v=glance&s=books

Offline alan900000

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2004, 04:36:17 PM »
Awesome. That book looks great. Thanks a lot, jp. I'll check it out.

jpschust

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2004, 06:03:32 PM »
no problem, your local library may have a copy as well, its a great read.

zowie

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2004, 05:30:35 PM »
try homerec.com

(read board before posting new questions)

Offline alan900000

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2004, 10:02:13 AM »
Thanks, Zowie. You da bomb.

Their FAQ on microphone purchasing is amazing, especially the section "How can I audition a microphone before purchasing it?":

http://www.hr-faq.org/

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.106 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com