Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Old taper going digital  (Read 5286 times)

Offline bodegahwy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Old taper going digital
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2004, 05:43:52 PM »
Money's worth?  Now there is a subjective issue.  If I have fun doing it, I'll be covered on that front.  At least it's cheaper than guitars!  (LOL,  I know the sky is the limit...  If I get recordings that sound as good as my D5 with 451e mics I'll be a happy camper)

I am still tempted to get a unit that has Phantom Power like the 670 and run with that for while and add the UA5 later if I get more serious.  At least I could make the CD of myself that my mother has been asking for these many years.  She is about 70 now, so I better not put it off too much longer...

Seriously though,  Thanks again everybody for all the help and advice.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2004, 05:51:44 PM by bodegahwy »
Martin Guitars, Moots Bikes, Scott Fly Rods and BD tele skis.  Music in the Mountains.

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2004, 06:22:45 PM »
1) if you're really set on the pdm-670, note that doug oade (@ www.oade.com) sells these and performs some modifications to the front end to fix their inherent sonic shortcomings (alluded to by Tim, etc.) --

2) I'd also look strongly at the Fostex FR2 (also sold and modified to improve the analog front end by doug oade) -- costs a bit more than the pdm-670, but also supports solid state media (which can actually be read directly by computers using cheap card readers).  The main advantages being that it's supposed to be a better sounding unit than the marantz and, unlike the marantz, it supports 24 bit recording (which can pretty easily be burned to dvd and played back in dvd-a players) as well as standard 16bit/44.1k (i.e. audio cd standard).

3) not sure you're 100% clear on everybody's attraction to the mod ua5/jb3 combo (as I still feel it gives the most bang for your buck).  Start with the jb3 -- The JB3 is a portable-cd-player sized hard-drive-based mp3/wav recorder/player.  In this situation, it simply serves as a digital recorder, reading and storing to its 20gb internal hard drive the zeros and one sent to it by the ua5 (in 16/44.1k cd-ready format).  The jb3 then connects to a pc (via usb or firewire -- firewire's a lot faster) and, after a few mouse clicks, your recording's transferred to your computer for tracking and burning (just about as easy as transferring from the pdm-670 or fr2).  The UA-5 serves as a one box setup providing phantom power, a nice sounding mic pre (especially with one of the oades' analog line stage mods), and an a>d converter.  The weak links with this setup are a) metering sucks -- but it's easy to add an external meter for around $100, and b) the initial learning curve's a bit steeper than the 2 above.  However, there are a TON of folks running this exact combo in the field and you therefore have a huge "fan base" that can get you up and running (as well as fairly detailed instructions on this site -- I think)

Mics -- I'm going to throw out another suggestion in your price range -- the studio projects LSD2, a one piece stereo large diagphram microphone containing 2 LD capsules stacked on top of oneanother -- the caps are modeled after the classic german LD capsules (i.e. neumann u87 or akg 414) -- I run one and think it sounds amazing (especially for the price) -- to me it sounds more like a LD AKG than a LD neumann -- besides sounding great, it's also really easy to set up, dial in the angle between the caps, select pickup patterns (omni, cardiod or figure 8), mount its included shockmount onto your stand and you're ready to go.  Though it seems pretty large at first (at just over a foot tall), since it's not pointing out at the sound source (like a pair of sd mics), it actually is a pretty low profile setup. 

the following link will send you to a boatload of samples doug oade made of the above mic, the studio projects c4 (small diagphram condensors) and a schoeps mtsc64 (schoeps mk4 card caps in ortf configuration) through a variety of mods made to the above gear (fr2 and ua5).  This should give you some idea of the different sound these combos could provide. -- http://www.oade.com/Tapers_Section/Forum/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=100&topic_id=1553&mode=full#1576
« Last Edit: December 24, 2004, 06:28:52 PM by dnsacks »

Offline bagtagsell

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2004, 11:39:04 PM »
If you like the windows explorer type transfer system, Red Chair software makes a program for the JB3 that will give you windows explorer on your jb3
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2004, 12:11:30 AM »
The weak links with this setup [ UA5 / JB3 ] are a) metering sucks -- but it's easy to add an external meter for around $100

Just a quick note to say that while this setup would benefit from external meters, I had no trouble running it without meters.  Just takesa  little practice - took me all of a couple shows to get the feel for it.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2004, 02:22:59 AM »
The weak links with this setup [ UA5 / JB3 ] are a) metering sucks -- but it's easy to add an external meter for around $100

Just a quick note to say that while this setup would benefit from external meters, I had no trouble running it without meters.  Just takesa  little practice - took me all of a couple shows to get the feel for it.

same here, i ran that rig for quite some tiem w/out meters

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2004, 10:01:18 PM »
i might try to stay away from the 2 gig flash cards for media.  I know in the FR-2 they burn up.  If you don't plan on running 24/96 i think it might be ok.  i would just be cautious using them for that.  Anyone have any other problems with CF cards?? 
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com