Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Old Cassettes... digitizing them... enjoying them  (Read 5344 times)

Offline therodge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • my portfolio
Re: Old Cassettes... digitizing them... enjoying them
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2005, 08:28:59 PM »
I have a question about this too.  I'm converting an old cassette to digital and this is what gear I have:

Sony TC-WE475  (player)
Onkyo HT-R500 (reciever)
NJB3

Should I not even fool with the reciever and record straight from the player RCA Out to my JB3 Line In or should I go player to reciever rca out to JB3 Line In?  I definitely wish I had a good A/D converter on my hands but I don't.  Any quick suggestions?

SP-BMC-6 > SP-PREAMP >JB3

Offline therodge

• Taperssection Regular
    • my portfolio
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2005, 09:02:43 PM »
Ok, That's what I was thinking.... asked that while I was in the middle of transferring without the reciever.  Thanks for the quick response!

SP-BMC-6 > SP-PREAMP >JB3

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2005, 01:51:26 AM »
Ok, That's what I was thinking.... asked that while I was in the middle of transferring without the reciever.  Thanks for the quick response!

Also, given that the jb3 analog-in can add some hard drive noise, I would run the signal in as hot as you can and turn the gain on the jb3 down if need be.  (but also watch for brickwalling)
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline KingReptile

• Taperssection Member
  • Injection is Nice I'd Rather Be Blown----
    • http://www.angelfire.com/music5/d8maniac/KingReptile_home
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2005, 02:03:30 AM »
I love the sound of those Analog tapes just wish I had more of them..So far I have just transfered them to dat 48K.Makes me wanna go buy a WM-D6 and a Ice Cream cone...

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Still loves his mic pre's
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2005, 03:43:26 PM »
Can anybody suggest a quality cassette deck (besides a dragon) that would be ideal. 

Tascam 122 mkIII

I may be wrong about this, so correct me if I am - I believe that the Nakamichi decks actually write the information to a smaller strip of tape than a regualr deck. A regualr cassette is used, but the deck writes to the center portion of the tape, with no information being written to the outer edges (not sure if I explained that very well). If you play a 'regular' tape back on a Nak deck, the deck can not read all of the info on that tape. That is more or less how it was explained to me - straighten me out if I got it wrong! ;D
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

Offline echo1434

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2007, 02:57:53 PM »
I may be wrong about this, so correct me if I am - I believe that the Nakamichi decks actually write the information to a smaller strip of tape than a regualr deck. A regualr cassette is used, but the deck writes to the center portion of the tape, with no information being written to the outer edges (not sure if I explained that very well). If you play a 'regular' tape back on a Nak deck, the deck can not read all of the info on that tape. That is more or less how it was explained to me - straighten me out if I got it wrong! ;D

Can anyone confirm this?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com