Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: guitar mic questions  (Read 3074 times)

Offline bagtagsell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
guitar mic questions
« on: January 04, 2005, 02:21:56 AM »
Anyone know proper micing techniques for electric guitar amps?  Any mics in the $200 range stand out for this application?  Or anyone know where I can read up on this? Thanks guys.
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
Re: guitar mic questions
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 10:02:41 AM »
the $80 shure sm57 is all you need.
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 10:51:53 AM »
the $80 shure sm57 is all you need.

The SM 57 is a good choice, but it all depends on what kind of sound you are looking to get. I see lots of guys using LD's on guitar amps now.
Whatever mic you choose though, experiment with placement. Moving a mic a few inches when micing a guitar amp can make a big difference. Good luck...
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2005, 10:57:51 AM »
What Chuck said... :D.  SM57 works great. Just dont point it right at the middle of the speaker.  have it slightly left or right.  another technique is to aim it slightly across the middle of the speaker, just past the middle.  Get that sucker as close to the cab as you can without touching the grill (unless it has a windscreen on it, that push it right up against it).  I have also seen alot of folks using the Sennheiser E-609 as well.
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline Xpanding Man

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Homer meditate now
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2005, 11:27:29 AM »
the sm57 is fine, unless you reach a point where the sound coming out of your cab is more pleasing than the sound coming out of the PA....if you get to that point, you and your band should be able to drop a few hundred on a akg414 tlII, until then , the sm57 is great.
The ships of state sail on mirage & drown in sand (R.Hunter)

open: Busman Actives / ADK TL's / MK012s > V3 > DR70 / iRiver
stealth: AT 943 > Church Uglybox > Tascam DR2

Being Taped: 
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, Olsondoc (Languedoc Copy), Mod Midi Strat, SG, 335, etc. 
Effects: Too many
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe II
Acoustics: Martin D-35 / Gitane DG-250 (Selmer Style) / Kick-Ass German Archtop (Glasl)

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2005, 11:29:53 AM »
57 is the standard, as most have pointed out.  I have had good success with a u87, 421, 4050, and many others.  It all depends on what you are going for.  FWIW, I use a 57 85% of the time.

H
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2005, 11:31:06 AM »
What Chuck said... :D.  SM57 works great. Just dont point it right at the middle of the speaker.  have it slightly left or right.  another technique is to aim it slightly across the middle of the speaker, just past the middle. 

Yup.  Sound comes from the cone, not the center.  common mistake!  Also recommend the mic - that puppy has legendary status.

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2005, 11:38:06 AM »
FWIW, Dan Healy used to mic Jerry's rig with a Sennheiser 421. I've found the 421's to be very good microphones. They are great for vocals, guitar amps, on snares, toms and kick drums. But, at about 4 times the cost of an SM57.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

cleantone

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2005, 11:43:27 AM »
Yep, SM57 Expecially in the range your looking in. That e609 is okay too, I have both and use both. Are you talking about at shows or "studio"? If your not talking about at shows in a live setting, having some distance between the mic and cabinet can be a good thing. Adds a little room to the track. It's all about experimenting! A loud amp is always helpful too! What amp are you miking? You can also try a condensor a few feet out and mix it with the sm57 or e609... Bottom line whatever sounds best. In your price range I'd recomend the Shure sm57...

Let us know!

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2005, 11:58:45 AM »
Yep, SM57 Expecially in the range your looking in. That e609 is okay too, I have both and use both. Are you talking about at shows or "studio"? If your not talking about at shows in a live setting, having some distance between the mic and cabinet can be a good thing. Adds a little room to the track. It's all about experimenting! A loud amp is always helpful too! What amp are you miking? You can also try a condensor a few feet out and mix it with the sm57 or e609... Bottom line whatever sounds best. In your price range I'd recomend the Shure sm57...

Let us know!

Mixing condenscer and SM57 is exactly what they did on my guitar last time I was in the studio.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

hexyjones

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2005, 12:39:05 PM »
What Chuck said... :D.  SM57 works great. Just dont point it right at the middle of the speaker.  have it slightly left or right.  another technique is to aim it slightly across the middle of the speaker, just past the middle. 

Yup.  Sound comes from the cone, not the center.  common mistake!  Also recommend the mic - that puppy has legendary status.

I was taught that you should set the mic diaphram parellel to speaker cone...which is basically what is happening in the above...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com