Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need some taping equipment advice.  (Read 1883 times)

Offline ba ba booie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Need some taping equipment advice.
« on: June 28, 2005, 11:37:09 PM »
I have been an advid taper since 1985.

Over the years I have had various equipment pieces. As of now (which has been since 1993) I have a D8 DAT and a pair of Neumann shotgun microphones.
That is it! Plain and simple. 

I got the guns used in 1990. They are still as true as since the day I got them. I tape through the analog inputs only. I have not changed my rig over the years.

I was wondering if I need any of the toys that are out there and if it would make any difference? It sounds sweet to my ears *now* and my music goes down deep in my car. Man I love my SUBWOOFERS!   

I have a very basic recording system.

The mics are run into the original Neumann phamton supply/preamp that came with the unit when I got them used?

Out of that power supply unit I have a db cutter in line because my mics run HOT! I have to cut down the signal down. From there it goes into my DAT.

Pretty much simpile stuff.

I don't know to much about the add on's that are out there. I guess I need something that has a phamtom supply already built in it? Something that could replace that DB cuttter I have in line?

I am not sure I am ready to go fiber optics yet? Maybe if I could find a cord that goes into my deck.

Any help would be great.

I exersise my microphones whenever I can. They sound real healthy. The tapes are coming out great. It works good now. Can I get it better?

Do I need a preamp after my Neumann phamtom/preamp? I don't know?

What could I use, and do you have an extra one for sale?

thanks again.
ba ba booie.......

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
Re: Need some taping equipment advice.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 11:49:25 PM »
Dude,

It sounds like you are happy with what you have (one of the hardest, yet most important skills in life).

If you hang out here for a while we would be happy to convince you that hypers would fix the "tunnel" effect, that you could really use some sort of external pre-amp and a/d converter, and that tapes @ 24 bit sound more real. But in the end you might spend $2500 and not be any happier with your pulls. Stay away, stay far away...

-Noah
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my list
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 01:31:26 AM »
sounds like you are happy with what you got.  but it sounds like you need some kind of ad converter after the neumann p/s.  now if you don't like the p/s and want to get a all in one preamp/ad converter there are lots of options.  cheapest being a UA5.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline NJFunk

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 11:59:55 AM »
It sounds like the only weak link in the chain is the A/D converter in the D-8.  That's the only thing I'd recommend looking into upgrading.  But, if you're going to add an A/D between the preamp and deck, then you should probably at least consider an "all in one" box (like the aforementioned digimod UA-5) that has phantom, pre-amp, and A/D to minimize the amount of equipment you need to carry.  The other advantage of the UA-5 is that is has both a mic in and a line in, so you can do simple matrixes as well, if the opportunity presents itself.  Good luck.

Offline Bdifr78

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 12:35:25 PM »
sounds like you are happy with what you got.  but it sounds like you need some kind of ad converter after the neumann p/s.  now if you don't like the p/s and want to get a all in one preamp/ad converter there are lots of options.  cheapest being a UA5.

UA5 Rulz!!!!!!!

If I could find one of the Oade mods, I'd sell ya mine.  But I have a feeling that no one is getting rid of one of their oade modded UA5s any time soon.
Neumann KM140s>Bumblebee MIAGI-II XLRs>Lunatec V3>SD722

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com