Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: i just bought my first battery box and need some help with settings  (Read 3696 times)

Offline vegaspunx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
ok i just bought my first battery box sp-spsb-8 with 7 position bass roll off and in line level control. i'm gonna try to film a big show monday social distortion, flogging molly, seether(i don't like them but maybe others will want to see this) i have no clue as to what setting are best its out doors at a park i'm using a sony pc100 camcorder with cmc-2 mini cardoroid mics help i will be pist if i screw up the social d. also how long should the 9volt battery it came last?
thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: i just bought my first battery box and need some help with settings
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 07:34:37 PM »
Mini-Cards tend to have less bass then other Cards.  I would guess you will not need the bass roll off. 

As far as the 9v battery goes, it could last for 100 shows depending on the battery.
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 07:35:56 PM »
The bass rolloff setting to use depends on your position, as well as the *loudness* of the music.

The 9V battery in the SPSB-1 battery box is supposed to last for 300 to 500 hours. The battery power is drained at any time when you have the mics plugged into it (just a heads up, in case you didn't know).

Offline vegaspunx

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 07:52:47 PM »
thanks for the info also i was wondering how should i mount the mics when filming i have no clips or mic stands i was thinking of maybe using a beanie and putting them in the folded part in the front but that might be a bit arkward any ideas?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 11:17:39 PM by vegaspunx »

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 12:05:53 AM »
thanks for the info also i was wondering how should i mount the mics when filming i have no clips or mic stands i was thinking of maybe using a beanie and putting them in the folded part in the front but that might be a bit arkward any ideas?

Are you using a tripod to video tape with?  If so, and you're in a pinch, you can use duct tape or black electric tape (or ideally, gaffer's tape) and simply tape the mics to the tripod. This isn't ideal, but if you can't borrow a mic stand in time, and there's no good spot in the venue to clamp the mics to, then it's "something" you can do.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 12:07:27 AM by hyperplane »

Offline vegaspunx

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 12:20:52 AM »

Are you using a tripod to video tape with?  If so, and you're in a pinch, you can use duct tape or black electric tape (or ideally, gaffer's tape) and simply tape the mics to the tripod. This isn't ideal, but if you can't borrow a mic stand in time, and there's no good spot in the venue to clamp the mics to, then it's "something" you can do.

i doubt i will be able to bring my tripod there this is in a park its part of the 4th of july fireworks show here in vegas. more than likely i try and hide in the crowd possible 30-60 ft from the stage. is this going to be good position audio wise this park is huge so it should be pretty loud the idea i mentioned above wouldn't produce descent results?

Offline ljsurfer2002

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006, 01:19:43 AM »
the beanie should work great. welcome to the fold!
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive: http://www.archive.org/details/etree please PM me and/or send an e-mail to us admins at etree(AT)archive(DOT)org and we'll get on it asap

Audio Technica 831 (AT831) > Sound Pro standard batt-box > Nomad Jukebox 3
It's a n00b rig, but I still love it, 5 years later! I have no desire whatsoever to 'upgrade'. I figure it does a good enough job doing the task I want it to do (recording the music) so i'd rather take that $1000 and use it elsewhere... ;)

Offline vegaspunx

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006, 11:08:32 PM »
the beanie should work great. welcome to the fold!

cool what do others think about the bass roll off? i'm just trying to get some suggestions from people with experience in audio as it seems it can be pretty complex

Offline ljsurfer2002

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2006, 01:42:59 AM »
set it to 107 Hz rolloff. keep it there for 99% of your shows. it will do great.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive: http://www.archive.org/details/etree please PM me and/or send an e-mail to us admins at etree(AT)archive(DOT)org and we'll get on it asap

Audio Technica 831 (AT831) > Sound Pro standard batt-box > Nomad Jukebox 3
It's a n00b rig, but I still love it, 5 years later! I have no desire whatsoever to 'upgrade'. I figure it does a good enough job doing the task I want it to do (recording the music) so i'd rather take that $1000 and use it elsewhere... ;)

Offline vegaspunx

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2006, 05:43:46 PM »
set it to 107 Hz rolloff. keep it there for 99% of your shows. it will do great.

thanks thats what i really needed to know

Offline vegaspunx

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2006, 09:05:02 PM »
damn it i filmed social d but no sound  >:( not sure what i did wrong

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2006, 12:03:47 PM »
damn it i filmed social d but no sound  >:( not sure what i did wrong
Sorry to hear that.  The exact same thing has happened to me a few times.  It's really a bitch when you think you've got a great looking video and then you get home and find out there's no audio.  AND it's even more of a bitch when you can't find an alternate audio source.

I was videotaping a show last weekend and had the cam on a monopod.  This family brought a bunch of kids who had no interest whatsoever in the show and were playing grab ass with each other for most of the show - constantly getting in front of my cam.  It was really pissing me off, but there's not a whole lot you can do - and I had a perfect seat for videotaping otherwise.

On a couple of occasions, I had to lift the cam up (by grabbing the camera itself).  I found out later that each time I picked the cam up like that, the audio cut out intermittently.  It only messes up a couple of songs.  But I feel your frustration...

i think from here on out, I'm either not going to use alternate mics when I videotape, or I'm going to try and coordinate for someone to record the audio with a DAT.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline vegaspunx

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2006, 06:04:52 AM »
i figured it out now i taped flotsam & jetsam tonight came out great with bro set to 107hz too bad the pa was having problems  ??? but nothing can be done about that

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com