Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Some Bit Torrent help  (Read 2673 times)

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
Some Bit Torrent help
« on: October 28, 2006, 12:32:17 AM »
O.K....finally in the 21st century with broadband and I'm beginning my learning of Bit Torrent.  Gordon hooked me up with a DAD account, and I'm going crazy D/L the recent Dylan tour, using the Azureus client.  A couple of questions:

- My download speed seems o.k....I can usually get a full show in about 90 minutes.  My upload speed is attrocious, sometimes at 1-3kBs, and even goes to zero when I'm done downloading.  With DAD you've got to carry a decent share ratio or you can't D/L.  Is there a way to speed up the upload?

- The little face icon stays yellow the entire download, which according to the wikiAzureus means I'm not allowing people to connect, due to something call NAT.  I mentions changing ports, but doesn't say how to do that.  Any ideas?

I'm just learning this stuff and feel like a rooky.  That's not a bad thing, but I want to do the right thing with the uploads etc.

Any hints would be appreciate.

Mike
Socks are overrated.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: Some Bit Torrent help
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 01:03:48 AM »
I believe this website may help you out. Welcome to the 21st Century. Do you have a cell phone yet?  ;)

http://portforward.com/routers.htm

Also, I like Azureus, but I like uTorrent better. You can get that at www.utorrent.com

Once you get uTorrent go into Options > Preferences. Click on Bit Torrent tab to the left, and then Enable Protocol Encryption. Just did that. Helped out a lot on my upload speeds (although I was only having a problem with one site...not DAD).

Now behave yourself. Keep them ratios up.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

dorrcoq

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 01:05:36 AM »
There are lots of resources online for opening ports and for getting past a firewall, so I won't bother with those.  However, if you're downloading these shows in 90 minutes, you are probably getting on them somewhat late, when they already have multiple seeds.  Try getting on some torrents as soon as they are announced, and then you will undoubtedly end up uploading a lot more, since you will be connected a lot longer before you finish the download.

Welcome to the world of BT.  Your life will never be the same again! ;D

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 02:16:55 AM »
O.K....I'll mess with some of this.

So, are you saying that ideally I DON'T want to d/l shows as quickly as 90minutes?  Letting them run longer will balance out the u/l portion?

...and yes, I have a cell phone. ;)  Actually, I've held off of broadband as I was boycotting the only available DSL service in my area (yeah...morals got in my way).  More choices now though.
Socks are overrated.

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 02:24:50 AM »
when you are on a torrent look at the list of peers.  if you are in red you are firewalled.  this is usually do to being behind a router.  you need to open the ports in the router and your client (get utorrent) and be sure that you have all your firewalls (xp included) set to allow bit torrent.

the site posted above (port forward) will help with the router stuff.  I ignore the "static IP" and just forward the ports.  if you have a linksys router I can walk you threw it in no time.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 03:25:52 AM by Gordon »
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

dorrcoq

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2006, 03:16:43 AM »

So, are you saying that ideally I DON'T want to d/l shows as quickly as 90minutes?  Letting them run longer will balance out the u/l portion?

Well....what I am really saying is that if you jump on a torrent when it is "new", there is no way you will download it that fast.  Depending on the seeder's upload rate and the size of the show it usually takes hours, and in some unfortunate incidents even days, to finish a download.  When a seed starts it doesn't really do you much good to have a lightning quick connection, because you are at the mercy of the seeder's ability to upload.  It's only when there are already multiple seeds that you can download a full-length show that quickly.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 04:42:10 PM »
mike, d/l utorrent, if you need any help, just PM me, i can walk you thru it
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline tfs8271

• Hand polished by Chris Lindsey
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006, 07:40:18 PM »

Well....what I am really saying is that if you jump on a torrent when it is "new", there is no way you will download it that fast.  Depending on the seeder's upload rate and the size of the show it usually takes hours, and in some unfortunate incidents even days, to finish a download.  When a seed starts it doesn't really do you much good to have a lightning quick connection, because you are at the mercy of the seeder's ability to upload.  It's only when there are already multiple seeds that you can download a full-length show that quickly.

Ditto. You are jumping on torrents that have a lot of seeders and few leeches. Don't sweat the 1.0 ratio just yet. Just be glad you can start downloading.

Damn, now I really have to watch what you are downloading so I won't be sending you a bunch of stuff you already have. Let us know when you want to start uploading.  ;D

Hope the job hunting is going good.

T
A six pack a day, that's all we ask.

Neumann skm140>ACM Oade PMD660
or Oade Mod R4

dorrcoq

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 02:08:45 AM »

Hope the job hunting is going good.

T

Now that he has discovered BT, he probably won't have time to hunt for a job.  I know going to work gets in the way of the music for me.  I guess I have to pay for CDR's somehow, though.... ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com