Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: I need some advice  (Read 1607 times)

Offline atxwolfattack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
I need some advice
« on: May 23, 2007, 05:49:28 PM »
Hey Guys.

So right now, i have some Church Audio cards, Church Audio STC-9000 preamp, and an iRiver h120. I found a guy willing to sell me another h120 for 100 dollars, so i was thinking if i buy it, i could use my first rig for mic recordings and then use the new iRiver for patching soundboard recordings so i can matrix shows.

So my question is... Would you rather buy an extra iRiver to matrix recordings, or save the 100 dollars, and eventually sell my current iRiver and buy an edirol R-09 to record in 24-bit?

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
Re: I need some advice
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 06:20:02 PM »
That really depends on your priorities.  If four channel is more important, buy the second iRiver.  If you are planning a move to 24 bit ASAP, then save the $, unless you can afford to keep one of the iRivers and then buy an R-09, or maybe think about a Microtrack, the cost savings might allow you to swing both.
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 08:59:06 PM »
If the iRiver is well taken care of then $100 is a damn good price.  Get it and do some matrix mixes.

Offline atxwolfattack

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 11:37:09 AM »
I really have never done soundboard recordings, and i have read all those topics, but will i probably need to buy another preamp to boost the signal out of the board? Or do most people just ask the sound engineer to turn up the nob?

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 09:59:06 PM »
You shouldn't need anything extra.  May boards have either RCA or 1/4" output.  I just got a RCA stereo to 1/8" cable and two 1/4" to RCA adapters so I can handle either.  Ideally, the signal coming out shouldn't go over 0dB so in a perfect setting you'd set your level at 0 and never have to check it.  Don't ever count on this though.  The signal will always be hot enough to pick up without a preamp.  Our board at church is old and the system is not set up 100% correctly so the levels are very hot.  When I record music I have to turn the levels down to -6dB or so.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com