Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Crazy glitching, skipping, drop outs... please help  (Read 4747 times)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
Re: Crazy glitching, skipping, drop outs... please help
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2007, 01:44:31 PM »
this is a classic example of dropped samples, the most common digital recording error.

def. in the digital domain, if you were using the iriver as an AD its 100% on your end and not the sbd.

dropped samples are a result of the device not being able to keep up with the stream for a number of reaons, usually hardware/software buffering/overhead, or a slow fragmented disc.

I WILL NOT take a recorder into the field until ive tested it at home for dropped samples for at least 20+ hours.

easy to do with a sinewave that you can generate in soundforge. record this sinewave using your recorder and use soundforge to scan the resulting wav for glitches, they are super easy to spot
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline atxwolfattack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2007, 01:54:50 PM »
I missed that my topic had gone onto the 2nd page, haha. Well, i reformatted, and went and recorded about 3 hours of shows 2 nights ago and had no problems at all. Hopefully the problem doesn't come back, i am definitely scared of it happening again. Its so weird though, i recorded a few shows before and they were totally fine, then i went to that one where it dropped samples all over the place, during both bands i was recording. So then i recorded sound from my stereo for over an hour and had no problems. I reformated to be safe, then i went to another show, recorded for maybe 2 or 3 hours and it is fine.

Hopefully it was just a fluke, i just don't see why it would have happened so frequently that one night and not once again since then.

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2007, 03:02:07 PM »
Defragment often and you should be fine.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com