Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Specific mic and setup advice requested for SD 788 non-stealth--new taper  (Read 9467 times)

Offline marvin100

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Hi guys,

First, apologies if this is the wrong area. If so, I trust the mods will put it where it belongs.

Basically I'm asking for various opinions on what I should buy and do for my very specific needs.

I have a Sound Devices 788t. A pair of Little Blondies omni mics is on the way.

I will be recording in two main situations:

1) At home studio.
Improvised music performed by 1-4 people sending stereo signals direct to the recorder and augmented by room mics for ambience and sometimes acoustic instruments (much of the music is electronic). Wide dynamics, from very quiet to medium volume. Very diverse timbres, from rough machine-like sounds and scraping to rich harmonic content and even pure sinetones.

2) At shows.
Improvised music performed by 1-6 people sending stereo signals direct to the PA (and possibly to the recorder when 8 channels will suffice) augmented by room mics for ambience and sometimes acoustic instruments. The music is the same, but the volume is higher. Rooms are typically "concrete box" style music venues and bars, quite small. Small, quiet/attentive audiences shouldn't pose a big problem, but I'd rather avoid chair squeaks and feet shuffling, etc.

I think my recorder is great & I'm more than pleased with the pre's (I record at 24/48, btw). I don't know how I feel about the Little Blondies mics yet, of course, but I'm pretty sure I'll want to either upgrade or add more mics at some point this year.

I'd rather not have a lot of different gear for different situations, but if it would be a significant benefit to the sound for me to use different mics at home and at shows, I can do so. I'm also of course very interested in your recommendations for mics or arrangements that will be flexible enough to help me get the best fidelity in both situations. Recordings from the home studio will need to be suitable for release, and it's quite likely some gig recordings will see release as well (assuming, of course, I can get the sound quality I expect).

Thanks for your help here and all the other stuff I've learned on this board!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 08:52:29 AM by marvin100 »

Offline sunjan

• Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
Re: Specific mic and setup advice requested--new taper
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 05:18:04 AM »
So you're primarily shopping for more mics?
I guess stealth is not a concern, so the field is wide open. What's your budget?

Mention your gear chain in the subject head, to attract the right readers...
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline marvin100

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 08:53:37 AM »
So you're primarily shopping for more mics?
I guess stealth is not a concern, so the field is wide open. What's your budget?

Mention your gear chain in the subject head, to attract the right readers...

Yeah, mics, I guess...budget? Maybe $500 now and then a grand or two in a few months.

(And thanks for the advice!)

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 09:46:54 AM »
Yeah, mics, I guess...budget? Maybe $500 now and then a grand or two in a few months.

How many mics are you looking for (you mentioned spot micing instruments, etc.)?  And are you planning to buy something soon given that you'll have a significantly larger budget in a few months?

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Specific mic and setup advice requested for SD 788 non-stealth--new taper
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 07:41:13 PM »
The basic question will b e whether to save for good top of the line mics or go out and get some pretty good mics.  This is a hard call.  I made one decision which worked for me but might not work for you.  Think it through.

Your recorder is a good one and likely will not let you down. 
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 04:30:01 AM »

BSC1 - Great versatile kit, since you were looking for something that works both live and studio.
If you want to sell them later on to fund more expensive mics, you could probably recover most of your investment on the YS.
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline spcyrfc

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live from River City
    • BordersCrossing.net
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 11:56:37 AM »
i would recommend AKG 414xls.  its a very versatile mic and can be used for spot micing, stereo pair micing and is great in the studio.
mkh8040>aerco mp-2>pcmd-50
PFS: AKG 414xls

Record Local

www.borderscrossing.net

Offline fleish

• Trade Count: (4)
  • I've been safariing since before you were born
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 03:41:37 PM »
I'd also recommend the ADK TL's - one less pattern than the AKG 414's but also much cheaper & they sound great.
Mics: AT853, MC930, AK40/AK50 > LC3 > KM100, ADK TL51
Cables: Audio Magic XStream silver, Kind Kables, Zaolla M1.5
Decks: D8, Busman Hybrid R4

My LMA tapes: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Todd+Fleisher%22

My LMA transfers: http://archive.org/search.php?query=-taper%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29%20AND%20transferer%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29

My LMA uploads: http://archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3Aetree%20AND%20uploader%3A%28todd%40fleish.org%29

Awesome. David said you were like The Wolf in Pulp Fiction. Shows up just in time with tons of gear, does a pro job, and disappears into the night! :-)

Offline burris

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Your favorite mics suck.
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 11:43:19 AM »
Sell your 788t if it is too late to return it and replace it with a cheap usb/firewire interface and some good mics.  Spending $6,000+ on your recorder and only $500 or even $1,500 on your mics is the wrong way to do it.  The mics are not only vastly more important to the quality of the recordings you make, they are primarily mechanical devices that will remain useful for decades, unlike electronics.

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 01:30:04 PM »
OTOH this fellow can get started with a very good recorder and some pretty good mics.  That SD will be around and working for years.  I agree that the mics are paramount but it is a little late to redo this.  We'll just have to help this fellow out as best we can.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline marvin100

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 04:06:59 AM »
Yeah, I seriously considered other recording options (laptop/interface, mainly), but for various reasons, that won't work for me. Tour/traveling, portability/ruggedness are serious factors, as are some other more personal reasons.

And, as I explained above, most of my recording is done direct. I want to use mics to supplement the direct lines, and am hoping for knowledgeable advice about how to do that rather than unsolicited advice about my recorder (that I flew to Hong Kong to purchase after a great deal of research and, obviously, saving). I've been recording music almost entirely direct only for almost a decade, so I know how to keep doing that (and the pre's on the 8 are a delight)--this is about branching out and how to best do so.

Thanks to those of you who have tried to answer my question. The AKG mics above look like great options, ones I hadn't really looked at before. You think mics like that would be better for me than smaller, thinner mics? I know so little about mics, but as I said, portability is a very real factor.

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 08:14:52 AM »
I know so little about mics, but as I said, portability is a very real factor.

Check out Schoeps CCM compact condenser microphone line.  Some CCM4 (cardioid), CCM21 (sub/wide cardioid), or CCM2/2S (omni), might suit you well.  The CCM5 (switchable cardioid/omni) might be also useful for you as well.  Unfortunately, they tend to me hard to find used and cost about $2k each new, but they are very compact.  I have a pair and they are awesome!

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 10:45:08 AM »
A bit beyond your stated initial budget, but you might consider the AT4051 mic pair that jnornan is selling in the yardsale (at $630 for the pair). 

Very nice mics, and they are modular, so you could start now with just the cardioid pair and later when you've got more money to spend pick up some omni mic capsules or even hypercardioid mic capsules depending on your need.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Big Perm

• Trade Count: (67)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Rage, Rest, work a lot, Repeat
First of all i completely agree with going the schoeps route. However it appears to be out of your budget. There is a pair of Rode NT2000 is the ys (http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=132579.0) For $1000.  They are not compact, but they give you a lot of options and I had a pair of Rode NT 2's about 10 years ago and they were great until I was able to upgrade later.
good luck
Mics: Schoeps mk4v| mk41v | mk22 | mk8 & mk5 (m/s)
         Schoeps m222> nt222dc (x2)
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         Schoeps KCY 250/5 IG (x2) Schoeps KC 5g (x2)
         DPA 4015c
Pre’s: Sonosax SX-M2D2
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2
Recorder: Sonosax sx-r4+, SD702, Sony m10

Offline marvin100

• Taperssection Regular
Okay, so I'm going to pick up some CCM5s in a year or so, and will make do with a pair of little blondies and a pair of AKG414s in the meantime. This setup is satisfactory for now, and between now and getting the Schoeps, I'll have lots of time to get better at recording.

Thanks for your help, guys.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com