Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How long before you trust your JB3  (Read 10401 times)

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Southern Shelter
How long before you trust your JB3
« on: July 21, 2004, 04:16:06 PM »
OK, ran my JB3 for 2 sets last night for its maiden voyage. . . Still having driver issues on the home PC, but have it successfully transferring to a work machine.  FLACing the raw 48k files, and gonna take 'em home and play with 'em tonight.  I ran KM184>V2>ADC-20>DA-P1>coax>ODL-276>JB3.  That's a lot of crap.  How long have you guys been doing the DAT backup before you hit the field with only the Nomad?  I've got two out-of-town shows this week, and I'd love to get my stuff back down to one bag. . .

Sloan

P.S.  WHOOO-HOOOO!! I LOVE this thing!

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • So much music, so little time.
Re: How long before you trust your JB3
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 04:24:47 PM »
I trust my jb3, but if I had them I'd run 2 da-p1's in case of tape problems. ;D

Seriously though, better safe than sorry. I'd rather carry the extra weight than go home with nothing.

I also like having something to fall back on in case I do something stupid (like delete the wrong file off the jb3)

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 04:33:23 PM »
I've ran the JB3 4 times so far, and every time I also ran my D100 "just in case". The 1st 3 shows went off without a hitch, the 4th I somehow didn't get the JB3 recording in time...and didn't realize it until halfway through the 1st set. The DAT saved my ass that time....
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 04:39:03 PM »
Hmmm.  Well one of the gigs this week will be crawling with tapers, so maybe I'll go JB3-only for that, and run the DAT+JB3 for the one that I may be the only taper. 

I just gotta retire this P1 at some point . . .

Sloan

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 04:47:50 PM »
Well, I figure I gotta give it up before it gives up on me. . . I just repaired my DAT for about $80 (friend prices), but with the Nomad running me $180, I just can't see repairing the thing again.  I'm not gonna sell it or anything, it'll remain at home and get trotted out when I need to run a second 'tape' for a soundboard (only to post-mix with the AUD, I'd almost never listen to straight soundboards), and for any emergency situations. . .

But I'm just as wary of digi-noise and snapped tapes from DAT as some folks are of hard-drive recording.  And I'm really looking forward to not having to spend the money for DAT tapes.  I already have to buy enough CD's for a SHN archive copy to go in the drawer + an audio copy to listen to for everything, and I tape 1-8 bands a week, so. . .

Sloan

marc0789

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 05:06:55 PM »
yeah, I know,..... I'm just a scared dinosaur. Gotta face reality at some point.

just not with something called the "nomad jukebox 3". sorry. stopped counting at like 10 "jb3 problems" posts. and apparently a warm fart will cause the thing to shut down. :P

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2004, 05:14:42 PM »
yeah, I know,..... I'm just a scared dinosaur. Gotta face reality at some point.

just not with something called the "nomad jukebox 3". sorry. stopped counting at like 10 "jb3 problems" posts. and apparently a warm fart will cause the thing to shut down. :P

Most of what I've heard about shutdowns were from heat/sunlight, though, no?  I only tape outdoors about once a year.  I tape at venues where the doors don't open 'til 11:00 pm. . . And Moke's venues seem to be seriously climate-controlled. . .

Sloan

marc0789

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2004, 05:37:45 PM »
yep, outdoors only. swanny has had zero problems with his, too, even outdoors. only observed problem was a shutdown I saw in 85 degree heat.

Offline Chapper

• Taperssection Member
  • Do the chickens have large talons?
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2004, 07:59:13 PM »

How many DAT problems can you find? 
I ran both my M1 and JB3 for a couple shows, I don't use the M1 anymore unless it's a venue where I can run a SB and mics. 
I've haven't spent any money on DAT's for a while...also have a pack of Lithium Energizers sitting on my desk that I've had for a couple months. 
..Just be glad you live in America,
Relax and be yourself,
Because if you didn't live here in America,
You'd proabably live somewhere else.."
David Lowery

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2004, 08:05:17 PM »
I haven't had a single problem with the jb3.  with a d8, i had plenty of problems.  I don't think I will ever run tape.  i may move to a laptop, but i won't ever run tape.  It is just not economical.
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline steve-o

• Taperssection Member
  • I let the melody shine, let it cleanse my mind...
    • SK6
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2004, 08:24:44 PM »

How many DAT problems can you find? 
I ran both my M1 and JB3 for a couple shows, I don't use the M1 anymore unless it's a venue where I can run a SB and mics. 
I've haven't spent any money on DAT's for a while...also have a pack of Lithium Energizers sitting on my desk that I've had for a couple months. 

Amen.  I was using the D100 before the JB3 and will never look back.  Never had one problem with the JB3 and I've been using it for a while.  As with anything electronic, it will have over heating issues (or issues in general) when direct sunlight or heat is on it for lengths of time.  I bet those 10 problems are either software compatibility issues, rare mechanical problems, or just plain stupidity on part of the user.  I'm newish, but I'll be damned if I ever go back to DAT. 

(Please no flaming.  8) )

Offline jkoch

• Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2004, 08:30:58 PM »
had the jb3 for over a year now without a single problem or issue. also, every issue i've heard of containing a jb3 was about a refurb..i bought mine new.
Schoeps MK4s > active cables > NBox+ > Edirol R-09HR

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2004, 09:15:53 PM »
Turns out that first run last night wasn't a complete success. . . Got some dropouts which, after process of elimination, figured out was 'cause  I was running the Hosa off a 6v SLA, knowin' full well it's supposed to have a 9v (apparent stoner move) . . . Patched the JB3 to the DA-P1 tapes of last night but with the AC adapter connected to the Hosa, and the problem went away. 

So luckily I -was- still running the DAT, but I'm off to tape the same two bands tomorrow night, so I think I'll have it goin' on (still running the DAT though  ;) )

Sloan

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2004, 09:21:13 PM »
I know that I am in the minority here, but I have never had a problem with my DAT that wasnt self caused, and quite honestly, I like having a tape so that when I screw up and fat finger the keyboard and delete the file by accident, at least I will have that backup. 

I know eventually I will move to a HD medium....but I dont see the JB3 filling my need, based on the shit level meters, making it usless to me for stealthing when compared to the D100 and remote. 

That being said, it is encouraging to see that at least one non-HUGE dollar manufacture has figured out how to record a digital signal...hopefully some of the other MP3 machines will figure out how to do it themselves....

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2004, 10:48:00 PM »
i ran my m1 for three shows after i got the jb3 and ua-5.. i stopped running the m1 for space issues - it wouldn't all fit in one bag.. while i wasn't completely confident in the jb3 yet.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com