Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Blaster Sound Card good or bad???  (Read 11052 times)

Depechemode1993

• Trade Count: (0)
Sound Blaster Sound Card good or bad???
« on: August 01, 2004, 11:11:56 PM »
well I am looking on the market to buy a new Soundcard. this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1059048992608&skuId=5846855&productCategoryId=cat01053&type=product

it looks good to me.I have herd sound blasters are good? has some RCA in and Optical in...  have one now but its horrible... Realtek...

1. are RCA in jacks basically the same as Optical in?
2. would it be hard changing my soundcard from old to my new one? or just a few hookups and all is good?
3. anyone ever put a new soundcard into thier computer?

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Jokell
Re: Sound Blaster Sound Card good or bad???
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2004, 11:13:45 PM »
Are you planning on using the digital ins for transfers?  If so this isn't the card to go with as it resamples.
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline hzgone

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2004, 11:17:59 PM »
You can pick up an audiophile 2496 on ebay for 150 or less
http://db.etree.org/hzgone
http://dead.no-ip.info

AKG 391's>MiAGi-II Silver Cables>V3>VX Pocket V2>Fujitsu 2110

on hiatus, semi retired, injured reserve, got hitched, had 2 kids, broke as hell, & my life is over patcher stage of life...

Offline highwayjill

• Taperssection All-Star
  • highwayjill was a daffodil...
    • my cd list
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2004, 04:30:55 AM »
You can pick up an audiophile 2496 on ebay for 150 or less

or you can buy a new one for $95 ($102.50 including shipping) from http://www.core-sound.com/audiophile_2496.html

silverbullet

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2004, 05:09:43 AM »
Can someone explain resampling?

I use opt dig in and currently I'm using SB Plantium Audigy 2 ($200). I got it because I like the connections in front and it was the only thing in my local retail stores that had opt in/outs and RCA input jacks.

How inaccurate or bad is resampling? Should I really ditch the SB?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2004, 06:50:03 AM by silverbullet »

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2004, 10:28:10 AM »
Not sure how to explain resampling, but here is a MB topic I found with Google:

http://www.cakewalk.com/forum/tm.asp?m=167129

Pretty much:  Soundblaster = BAD

T

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2004, 10:29:34 AM »
Get this instead, I bought one used for about $40:

http://www.digit-life.com/articles/zoltrixpro6/

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

silverbullet

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2004, 11:13:18 AM »
Thanks, I remember when I got my SB card reading something bad about resampling. I wasn't recording as much or as seriously then but all the out/in inticed my to purchase. That and I figured $200 bucks would be the best. Stupid me.

I'd still like something with RCA in/out , opt in/out, and S/PDIF (RCA) in/out as well as computer speaker outputs. The Audiophile 2496 seems very popular. Are folks just using the S/PDIF RCA connection instead of a digital optical connection? I thought the optical connection was better than coaxial connection or are bits just bits in this case. I'll be replacing my SB card soon enough.

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2004, 11:14:33 AM »
Thanks, I remember when I got my SB card reading something bad about resampling. I wasn't recording as much or as seriously then but all the out/in inticed my to purchase. That and I figured $200 bucks would be the best. Stupid me.

I'd still like something with RCA in/out , opt in/out, and S/PDIF (RCA) in/out as well as computer speaker outputs. The Audiophile 2496 seems very popular. Are folks just using the S/PDIF RCA connection instead of a digital optical connection? I thought the optical connection was better than coaxial connection or are bits just bits in this case. I'll be replacing my SB card soon enough.

Both optical and coax work just as well.  Neither is really any better than the other.

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2004, 11:22:43 AM »
bits are bits(coax vs optical s.pdif), but remember, the optical cable is inherently more fragile than the coax cable.

fyi, m-audio makes other cards with optical i/o if you prefer

the water's clean and innocent

silverbullet

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2004, 11:28:52 AM »
Well, I prefer the thickness of a RCA cable over a flimsy optical cable. If it's all the same I'll stick with coaxial. My DAT Tascam homedeck has a coaxial output wth no optical output so I might as well get used to it. I only used optical cord running from my M1 to computer. I can just as easily use my Tascam unit.

There is so much bull out there spoken by sales reps. Chaulk it up to learning.

Depechemode1993

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2004, 07:07:40 PM »
so what is the soundcard you all use? I have a D8 and what cables would I use to use one of those listed above? I am still very confused and don't know what cables needed to transfer shows....  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? :-\ :-\ :-\ >:( ahhh.!!!!

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2004, 10:22:19 PM »
get the audiophile 2496.....soundblaster are great for gaming, but in the tech support arena the audigy series is dodoo, their drivers and software sucks
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2004, 10:41:56 PM »
ok, stay away from creative if you are at all concerned with preserving he integrity of the master recording.  sb cards resample.  who knows if they're bit perfect either (or is that the same thing?)
anyways...
to answer your original questions:
1. rca digitial in (coax) is in the same digital domain as optical digital, just a different format.  if you have a d8 you'll be wanting rca (s/pdif) on your soundcard
2. depends...if you get an internal pci card it may be difficult if you've never opened up a computer before.  but if you're at all tech-savvy you should not have problems.  basically you install the software, then install the card (or vice-versa according to the directions you get with it) and voila, you're set to go.  even easier with a usb device such as the egosys u24 or emagic 2|6.  there might be some tweaking necessary on your system to optimize performance and prevent dropouts while transferring recordings.
3. yes, i have ;D  i've installed a few into my own, first a sb live card before i knew any better, and then an echo mia card. 
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

silverbullet

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2004, 03:41:44 AM »
ok, If I'm just transferring files from my JB3 to computer via firewire then upgrading my soundcard ASAP is no big deal at this point. right?

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2004, 10:50:18 PM »
ok, If I'm just transferring files from my JB3 to computer via firewire then upgrading my soundcard ASAP is no big deal at this point. right?

then you would only need it for playback, unless you are outputing the signal via firewire to a stereo through an interface
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

silverbullet

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2004, 06:38:56 AM »
M-Audio Audiophile 2496 - "There are no any internal connectors (like CD Analog In or CD S/PDIF in), which is a little drawback of the card"

so does this mean I need to keep my existing soundcard to play audio cds in my computer? If so, is there a chance that SB software may resample audio coming from the digital input from the 2496 card?

silverbullet

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2004, 09:55:53 AM »
I'll get the audiophile. The cd I was talking about was being able to play cds from the CDR drive. A cdr/dvd drive usually has a cable that runs internally to the soundcard but from the description it doesn't look like the audiophile has internal connections. No biggie.

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2004, 11:15:51 AM »
Another opinion -- if you only need the soundcard to perform bit-perfect digital transfers from your dat>computer, and already have a jb3 and firewire card . . . unless you're planning on transferring a LOT of dats, you might want to consider just using the jb3 as the dat transfer device and skipping a new sound card alltogether.  YOu indicate you already have a d8 with an optical digital cable.  WHy not just go d8>optical>jb3 and then transfer the shows from the jb3 to the pc via firewire.  Although this requires an extra step, you don't need to worry about leaving your pc alone (or dealing with configuration issues) to avoid dropped samples, etc. as you would going dat>pc. 

Further, sample rate conversions, etc. are not an issue when playing stuff back via your computer's cd drive and then through your pc's speakers, etc.

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2004, 01:12:12 PM »
Another opinion -- if you only need the soundcard to perform bit-perfect digital transfers from your dat>computer, and already have a jb3 and firewire card . . . unless you're planning on transferring a LOT of dats, you might want to consider just using the jb3 as the dat transfer device and skipping a new sound card alltogether.  YOu indicate you already have a d8 with an optical digital cable.  WHy not just go d8>optical>jb3 and then transfer the shows from the jb3 to the pc via firewire.  Although this requires an extra step, you don't need to worry about leaving your pc alone (or dealing with configuration issues) to avoid dropped samples, etc. as you would going dat>pc. 

Further, sample rate conversions, etc. are not an issue when playing stuff back via your computer's cd drive and then through your pc's speakers, etc.

Yes, if you have the Nomad already, you can use that as a step between the DAT and PC.  I do this now, although I have a Zoltrix...  It was easier to go DAT>JB3 then JB3>PC as it wouldn't tieup my PC for hours, just minutes...

T

Offline hoobash

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2004, 02:10:44 PM »
This card is the same chipset and design as the zoltrix 6

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=29-117-107&depa=0

Depechemode1993

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2004, 02:46:39 PM »
what cable would I need for the audiophile from my d8?

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2004, 03:07:32 PM »
what cable would I need for the audiophile from my d8?

the D8 has a 7pin connection...you'll need the 7pin>coax cable for the Audiophile

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2004, 03:10:00 PM »
while the Audiophile PCI card doesn't have the internal cd audio input, I got around it easily enough by taking a RCA cable and a standard cdrom audio cable and splicing them togethor, ie, cdrom connector on 1 end, while the other was RCA....just run the rca cable outside the computer to plug into the RCA input and setup the mixer settings accordingly

silverbullet

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2004, 03:21:59 PM »
DAT>opt>JB3>computer - pretty clever guys  ;) Not only to free up the computer but I do multiple recordings so while one DAT is going to the computer I can take second DAT>JB3 and have that JB3 transfer ready when the first DAT to computer is done.  :)

CD music. I think most CDroms have that headphone jack in the front. 1/8th cord out of that into the rca inputs sounds like a good idea.

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2004, 03:30:44 PM »
This card is the same chipset and design as the zoltrix 6

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=29-117-107&depa=0

And at $24, you can't beat it with a stick!

T

silverbullet

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2004, 03:22:57 PM »
It was easier to go DAT>JB3 then JB3>PC as it wouldn't tieup my PC for hours, just minutes...

stupid question time:

Would having a V3 between the DAT and JB3 provide any benefit? Maybe to boost the signal or something. Digital is digital right? so I'm guessing having a nice A/D between the DAT and JB3 may be pointless.

I'm going to try and do some transfers soon (hopefully) and this has been on my mind.

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2004, 03:46:56 PM »
It was easier to go DAT>JB3 then JB3>PC as it wouldn't tieup my PC for hours, just minutes...

stupid question time:

Would having a V3 between the DAT and JB3 provide any benefit? Maybe to boost the signal or something. Digital is digital right? so I'm guessing having a nice A/D between the DAT and JB3 may be pointless.

I'm going to try and do some transfers soon (hopefully) and this has been on my mind.

The V3 doesn't have a digital in, so you can't do it anyway.  You'd have to go analog out of the dat > a/d stage of the V3 > digital in on the JB3.  Just go digital out of the dat > digital in of the jb3.

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2004, 03:53:58 PM »

stupid question time:

To go DAT>JB3, you need a DAT with an optical output, or you'll need a Digital Format Convertor (like the Hosa ODL276) to convert the digi-coax signal to optical for input into the Nomad.

I do all of my DAT transfers this way, I have a Sony 59ES DAT and a Sony DVD that both have optical outputs.  I also have a Hosa ODL276, so while I;m at home, I use it to "patch" out of my home deck.  I also use the Hosa ODL276 to patch at shows (out of coax outputs), although as I discovered last night, it required a functional optical cable (doh!).

T

silverbullet

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2004, 05:09:02 PM »
thanks. I didn't realize the V3 didn't have an optical input. Stupid me :P

I've got chords and ways that will allow me to go DAT to JB3 easy enough.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2004, 05:43:37 PM by silverbullet »

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2004, 02:56:00 AM »
for what its worth about 4 months late...the SB cards are great, just not for transfers.  I love mine, i have the breakout box on the front of the computer and it does a great job and doing what it needs to do soundwise...but i'd never use it for transfers unless i absolutely had to.  but for firewire transfers from the jb3 i'd say its excellent.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

silverbullet

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2004, 03:15:15 AM »
I may get flamed but for quick jobs when I record DAT 48kHz or something that isn't in 44.1 16bit CD format ,... since SB resamples I can create a 16bit 44.1 master wave file as my masters play. I was doing this for a long time when I was just starting to tape and didn't know any better. I guess the right way is to make a correct master wav file and then have soundforge or wavlab, etc... convert the master wav file to the proper 16bit 44.1 format for cd purposes.  ::)

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2004, 03:19:39 AM »
you damn right that would be the correct way :P

silverbullet

« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2004, 03:52:49 AM »
While on the topic... I was told for better results to record at a higher rate and then convert to 16/44.1 . Is this true?

If my final product is going to have to be 16/44.1 then I'm currently just recording that way to save steps. But if I can get better results converting 16/48 or 24/96 to 16/44.1 then I might as well start doing that.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2004, 08:05:23 AM »
While on the topic... I was told for better results to record at a higher rate and then convert to 16/44.1 . Is this true?

If my final product is going to have to be 16/44.1 then I'm currently just recording that way to save steps. But if I can get better results converting 16/48 or 24/96 to 16/44.1 then I might as well start doing that.

Check this out- seems to me the jury is out on your question of running 16/48 and converting- a matter of personal taste and time, I guess.  But the popular consensus is that if you can record at 24 bits, you should definately do that.  I personally don't hear a difference in quality between 16/44.1 and 16/48, but I hear a huge difference between 24/44.1 and 16/44.1.

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=27066.0

hth
~Andrew
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

silverbullet

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2004, 09:19:13 AM »
I reread that thread. I would agree with most that 24bit is much better than 16bit. I need to clarify my question. If I resample 24/96 down to 16/44.1 would the result be better or the same as if I just recorded 16/44.1 in the first place?

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2004, 09:24:04 AM »
Better, unless your resampling and dithering algorithms suck. Whether or not you could hear it once you're back in 16-bit world depends on your ears and playback system.
Out of the game … for now?

silverbullet

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2004, 09:35:59 AM »
Thanks. It's nice to get a second opinion on what I was told.  :)

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2004, 12:47:42 PM »
Are you planning on using the digital ins for transfers?  If so this isn't the card to go with as it resamples.
I'm going to disagree with you on this one.  I know that the Soundblaster name is not well respected among the taping community, but not all Soundblasters resample.  The Soundblaster Live! series definitely resamples and should be avoided.  However, I have a Soundblaster Audigy 2 Platinum internal card and it does not resample.  I've transferred many, many hours of audio with this card and compared the results with transfers I've made with my M-Audio Audiophile 2496 and they produce identical results.  The way I've verified this is to transfer a recording with the Soundblaster Audigy 2 Platinum internal card and again with the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 card, line them up with each other in a multitrack editing program, invert one of them and mix them down.  The result is absolute silience in the result, with the exeption of minor flaws at the very first of the recording due to the fact that it takes a short period of time for the soundcard to synch to the S/PDIF source.  The Soundblaster Audigy 2 Platinum card usually synchs up more quickly than the Audiophile 2496, so I often get slightly better transfers with the Sounblaster Audigy 2 Platinum internal card.  Once the cards are syndhed to the source, you can't tell the difference between the two.

In my opinion, it's more of an issue of price.  If all you're trying to do is transfer audio from an S/PDIF source, then the Audiophile 2496 works just fine and it has the price advantage.

The reason that I ended up with the Soundblaster Audigy 2 Platinum internal card was that M-Audio was slow to produce working drivers for Windows 2000.  I fought with that company for months on end and finally gave up.  It was almost a year later befoer M-Audio finally came out with drivers that worked properly under Windows 2000.  Regardless, I left the Audiophile 2496 in my Windows 98 machine.  I never put an S/PDIF card in my Windows XP machine because I already had a Nomad Jukebox 3, Hosa ODL276 converter and a firewire card in the computer.  I just run S/PDIF coaxial into the Hosa ODL276, optical out to the NJB3 optical input, then transfer the result by firewire to the computer.  That method also produces bit literal copies, again as compared to transfers directly through the Audiophile 2496 into the Windows 98 machine and transfers directly through the Soundblaster Audiby 2 Platinum internal into the Windows 2000 machine.

Whatever you do, plan to transfer your shows multiple times and compare the results of the multiple transfers to ensure that your setup is making identical copies every time.  It's not always the soundcard's fault.  Sometimes the errors are the fault of the host computer's southbridge chipset, expecially if you are not running the most current drivers and you're using a VIA chipset with an AMD processor.  I spent hundreds of hours trying to troubleshoot my original Windows 98 machine's soundcard only to find out that the majority of my transfer problems were due to a poorly designed motherboard that used an Athlon processor and a VIA chipset.  I finally just trashed that motherboard and started over.  Now I won't use anything but an Intel-based motherboard.  (That's probably like swearing off all Soundblasters, but I guess you learn to hate the companies that cost you the most troubleshooting time and at this point I'm not a fan of either AMD or VIA.)
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2004, 01:56:07 PM »
Straight from Tom's Hardware. The whole article is worth a read....

http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer/20021106/audigy2-01.html

The 16-bit/ 44.1 kHz tests gave positive results, though not the same level of quality. This is because when the Audigy 2 resamples all the 44.1 kHz flow rates in 48 kHz, corresponding to the DSP's internal frequency, rates above 48 kHz do not get resampled. So here we have a paradox: the Audigy 2 produces near-perfect sound in 24-bit/ 96 kHz playback (i.e. DVD Audio), but is not as good in 16-bit/ 44.1 kHz playback (such as CD Audio).

You can see the test results are generally positive, except for the intermodulation one. This is evidently due to resampling in 48 kHz.
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2004, 03:10:52 PM »
Straight from Tom's Hardware. The whole article is worth a read....

http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer/20021106/audigy2-01.html

The 16-bit/ 44.1 kHz tests gave positive results, though not the same level of quality. This is because when the Audigy 2 resamples all the 44.1 kHz flow rates in 48 kHz, corresponding to the DSP's internal frequency, rates above 48 kHz do not get resampled. So here we have a paradox: the Audigy 2 produces near-perfect sound in 24-bit/ 96 kHz playback (i.e. DVD Audio), but is not as good in 16-bit/ 44.1 kHz playback (such as CD Audio).

You can see the test results are generally positive, except for the intermodulation one. This is evidently due to resampling in 48 kHz.

Yes, it resamples on playback, but not on the Toslink or S/PDIF input when capturing audio from a digital source.  That's where the older Soundblaster Live! series messed up.  The newer Audigy 2 series boards do not resample digital audio as they capture it as a linear PCM (wav) recording.

So, you can make a perfect copy of a 44.1 kHz digital input. What you can't do is play back that perfect copy without the soundcard resampling it to 48 kHz sample rate before it hits the line output of the soundcard.  The wav file remains unmodified.  The 48 kHz resampled version is just used to drive the D/A that feeds the line output of the soundcard.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2004, 03:17:09 PM by SparkE! »
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

silverbullet

« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2004, 05:16:17 PM »
I have an internal SB Audigy Platinum 2 also. I used the digital inputs and had made master 44.1 wav files from 48 DAT recordings as they play. SB had to resample in this case, right? I wasn't recording in 48kHz mode.

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2004, 05:24:09 PM »
I have an internal SB Audigy Platinum 2 also. I used the digital inputs and had made master 44.1 wav files from 48 DAT recordings as they play. SB had to resample in this case, right? I wasn't recording in 48kHz mode.
Yes, that was definitely resampled if you ended up with a 44.1 kHz wav file and it doesn't sound "slow".  I'm not sure if it was your soundcard or the recording software that did the resampling, though.  If I'm working with a 48 kHz source, I generally prefer to bring it in as a bit literal transfer at 48 kHz, then resample the resulting file in software.  My current favorite program for doing that is Audacity.  It's free!  ;)

http://audacity.sourceforge.net

Other people swear by Samplitude, but I've never tried that program.  Cool Edit Pro and Soundforge also do a pretty decent job of resampling.

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2004, 01:50:02 AM »
SparkE!, thats very interesting info.  never knew that about amd's either.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2004, 09:44:45 PM »
SparkE!, thats very interesting info.  never knew that about amd's either.
Actually, I don't think it was the AMD Athlons per se.  I'm pretty sure that the problem was with the VIA southbridge chip and its drivers, but that's what almost all of the Athlon systems used a couple of years ago.  I'm told that they've fixed the problem in more recent chipsets, but I'm not willing to dedicate that type of time again.  Seriously, I spent hundreds of hours trying to troubleshoot that system and it just is not worth it to me to go through that again.  FWIW, the system was built around a KT7A-RAID motherboard with a RAID 1 array of hard drives.  The RAID array failed several times and I think it was due to that VIA southbridge chip.  All of the hard drive traffic, all of the USB traffic and all of the IDE traffic goes through that chip.  I never found any problems with the hard drives, but the RAID array would be broken.  It was a matter of figuring out which hard drive had the correct image on it and cloning that image to the other hard drive.  Nearly every time the array failed, it was during a S/PDIF capture from DAT.  In fact, since I've quit doing audio work on that machine, it hasn't failed again.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.185 seconds with 70 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com