Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mini-me needs Repair  (Read 7320 times)

Offline gusbud1

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I need more cowbell.
Mini-me needs Repair
« on: August 28, 2010, 09:30:19 AM »
I have an older mini-me sitting in a box, that I would like to get repaired so I can sell it.  I could send it off to Apogee, but I am sure they will bend me over.  Is there anybody on TS that can repair this type of equipment?  I guess it might help to list the problem.  The first problem I'm sure is a simple fix that probably requires a little soldering. It is a loose/faulty coax line out.  The 2nd issue may or may not be more problematic.  The unit works fine for a small period of time (5,10,sometimes 15 minutes) then it's like it overloads and resets, or maybe it is just resetting, I don't know.  Any suggestions on possible repair  techs would be appreciated, or you can just tell me I'm screwed and to send it to apogee.  Thanks for looking.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 09:32:24 AM by gusbud1 »
eathworks sr78(L)>rode nt2a (c-omni)>earthworks sr78(R)>sound devices 302>apogee minime 24/96khz s/pidf>tascam hd-p2

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Mini-me needs Repair
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 08:07:07 PM »

Every mini-me owner I know complains about the cheesy RCA female SPDIF out.  It's an obvious design flaw, but just try to get Apogee to even admit that they have ever fixed EVEN ONE   >:(  They'll lie to you and tell you that there's never been an issue........liars.

I sent mine in.......cost me $180 to get it back fixed. 

Ripoff.

Great piece of equipment, otherwise, and if my D8 would take a properly matched and attenuated AES solution, without choking on SPDIF logic, I probably would not be bad-mouthing Apogee.

Nonetheless, these guys won't admit to using a shoddy production part, and won't fix it without shaking you down for at least $180, as was in my case and others I have spoken to.

Repair ripoff artists, and liars.   >:(

Did I mention, "Liars"?
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline andyjah

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 10:27:03 AM »
I'd send it to Apogee purely for the fact too that it will give a future buyer the piece of mind that it was fixed correctly. You never know with some of the other repair places. It would make it more attractive to a buyer as well to see that it was done through them.

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 10:30:16 AM »
I'd send it to Apogee purely for the fact too that it will give a future buyer the piece of mind that it was fixed correctly. You never know with some of the other repair places. It would make it more attractive to a buyer as well to see that it was done through them.

True

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline skaggs

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 12:24:52 PM »
Hey Capn,

did they actually fix that crappy spdf out?  I always use the aes, but it would be nice to be able to give that to people as a patch,.  that said, i don't use mine that often, as my p2 a/d sounds pretty good.  thanks

richard

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 12:56:22 PM »
FWIW, I had apogee do some simple work on a Mini-MP and even though the job probably was overpriced, I had no problem with their service, which I would actually grade as A+ for the experience I had.  Very good and proactive communication and kept me informed all along the way.

Offline andyjah

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 03:02:29 PM »
Hey Capn,

did they actually fix that crappy spdf out?  I always use the aes, but it would be nice to be able to give that to people as a patch,.  that said, i don't use mine that often, as my p2 a/d sounds pretty good.  thanks

richard

Same here. When I bought mine I was aware of the issue of the SPDIF connections getting flaky so I've used my aes connection since day 1.

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 10:37:05 PM »
Hey Capn,

richard

I just tested it with a straight RCA......and I'll be damned ---- I can still get it to start dropping out if I wiggle it just so.  I've been runnung a right-angle cable since the supposed "fix", and have been lucky, so far. 

Why can't these guys spec a part that works?

Worse than liars, are "inept" liars.... >:(

Offline jazzgtrl4

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 10:46:05 AM »
Interesting about the minime spdif out. Ive had mine for a few months now, bought it used and haven't had that problem with it. I thought i did at one point actually because my tape had dropouts in places but i think it was a battery issue and a heat problem. I was running it in a bag with a V3 at High Sierra music fest in the summer. I bought a pretty nice heavy duty right angle spidif to use with it. I tried wiggling it as well to see if it was the connection but everything was fine. I went taped phish in Telluride, no drops or issues at all. maybe im lucky with mine (knock on wood).

capnhook: i see you run the LSD2 and minime, how do you like that combo?

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 12:29:52 PM »
I can still get it to start dropping out if I wiggle it just so.

Don't f'n wiggle it!

Even if it was a panel mount version of the connector, a push on coax spdif is not a connector that is "wiggle proof".  I always had my minime in a cage, so there was no load or wiggle on any of the connectors.  The cables were zip-tied to the cage.  With a pcb mount conncetor, if you strain it, you risk cracking the solder joints on the board.

A panel mount connector would have been a better choice, but they would probably argue they never expected the units to be used in bags, etc.  And even if the rear connectors are panel mounted, you have front knobs and switches which are not.  Those need to be protected.. Grace smartly recessed those fragile bits on the v2 and v3.  Same for the 7xx - engineered to be rugged. Psp2?  Extremely rugged.  Aerco?  Rugged.

Offline Big Perm

• Trade Count: (67)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Rage, Rest, work a lot, Repeat
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 06:54:51 PM »
back when i still had a mini-me, I sent it to Nick..(SchoepsNbox) to see if he could make some custom knobs for the trim pods...that didnt end up working out, but he did fix the SPIF out for me while he had it....might want to give him a shout and see if he would be interested in looking at it.
a
Mics: Schoeps mk4v| mk41v | mk22 | mk8 & mk5 (m/s)
         Schoeps m222> nt222dc (x2)
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         Schoeps KCY 250/5 IG (x2) Schoeps KC 5g (x2)
         DPA 4015c
Pre’s: Sonosax SX-M2D2
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2
Recorder: Sonosax sx-r4+, SD702, Sony m10

Offline The Other Chris

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • My list:
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 07:35:56 PM »
Definitely needs some work done.

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 10:39:35 PM »
Interesting about the minime spdif out. Ive had mine for a few months now, bought it used and haven't had that problem with it. I thought i did at one point actually because my tape had dropouts in places but i think it was a battery issue and a heat problem. I was running it in a bag with a V3 at High Sierra music fest in the summer. I bought a pretty nice heavy duty right angle spidif to use with it. I tried wiggling it as well to see if it was the connection but everything was fine. I went taped phish in Telluride, no drops or issues at all. maybe im lucky with mine (knock on wood).

capnhook: i see you run the LSD2 and minime, how do you like that combo?

I'm extremely happy with the pairing, and the closer I can get the mic to the source, the better.  90% of the time I run X/Y cards @ 90 degrees.  I don't understand why you'd run the coincident omni configuration, so I don't.  Made a couple niiiice blumlein recordings, with the mic in the center of a crescent of players.  I like the SL compression on the minime, and use it all the time.

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 10:53:01 PM »
I can still get it to start dropping out if I wiggle it just so.

Don't f'n wiggle it!

Even if it was a panel mount version of the connector, a push on coax spdif is not a connector that is "wiggle proof".  I always had my minime in a cage, so there was no load or wiggle on any of the connectors.  The cables were zip-tied to the cage.  With a pcb mount conncetor, if you strain it, you risk cracking the solder joints on the board.

Yep, I  the fragility of the pcb mounted connector should have been a design issue with these units.....for chrissakes, didn't Apogee realize what this successor to their AD1000 was going to be used for?

But I still say, even the presently sourced repair part is not gripping the center pin of the RCA connector properly.....every straight SPDIF cable I own can be made to drop the signal.  Glad the right-angled cable kinda fixed it, but it still ain't right.  If it gets flakey on me one more time, I'm a gonna weld a pigtail to the board!  >:(

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 12:20:49 AM »
But I still say, even the presently sourced repair part is not gripping the center pin of the RCA connector properly.....every straight SPDIF cable I own can be made to drop the signal.

One fix would be the rubberband fix that the V3 needs on the power cable pin.

Basically, split the center pin (not all are solid) and then wedge a bit of rubber in there at the base so it is always splayed out and maintains contact.  But that'd be really half-assed in this app..

The other fix might be installing a proper panel connector and running leads to the board. But that would only address the board issues, and not the fundamental issue with the push on/off connector.

You know... SD did it right with the 7xx.  They don't use junk push on/off connectors.  They use bayonet BNC connectors that twist lock.  They have none of these issues.  Though if you went that route, it should be a panel mount and not PCB.

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2010, 10:50:08 PM »
I'll have to take that over to the wire EDM and cut me a nice slot....thanks for the kludge, Freelunch.... 8)

Yep, a panel mount BNC would be the cat's ass....

Offline skaggs

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 09:35:41 PM »
Hey Capn,

richard

I just tested it with a straight RCA......and I'll be damned ---- I can still get it to start dropping out if I wiggle it just so.  I've been runnung a right-angle cable since the supposed "fix", and have been lucky, so far. 

Worse than liars, are "inept" liars.... >:(

Weaksauce!   ::)

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2010, 10:43:31 PM »
All this talk of Mini-me.  Has anyone opened it up?  I'd like to know what is inside.  I heard somewhere that it has INA163 preamps.  What about the ADC chip?

Also, is it a simple problem (physical connection) with the RCA jack or is there something with the chip/driver that is breaking?

Thanks,
  Richard
'
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 06:16:58 PM »
All this talk of Mini-me.  Has anyone opened it up?  I'd like to know what is inside.  I heard somewhere that it has INA163 preamps.  What about the ADC chip?

Also, is it a simple problem (physical connection) with the RCA jack or is there something with the chip/driver that is breaking?

Thanks,
  Richard
'
\

Nah, Richard......the damn board-mounted female RCA doesn't grip the center pin properly.  It is a well-known problem that many owners have.......one that Apogee won't acknowledge, even after charging you $180 for the supposed "repair" that ends up not working any better than the part they replace.

ripoff

Kevin

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.115 seconds with 47 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com