Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps VMS5U Fuses...Anybody Know Where to Buy?  (Read 2318 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Schoeps VMS5U Fuses...Anybody Know Where to Buy?
« on: August 29, 2010, 12:04:21 PM »
If you open up the battery cover for the Schoeps VMS5U, you see on the inside cover a diagram that shows the location of the fuses that are accessible from the battery compartment with needle nose pliers or a pair of tweezers (no Phish-lovers, there's no Phish content in this thread  :D).  I just purchased a used VMS5U in great shape, but the previous owner never used the external power adapter and it has a blown fuse and no spare in the spare compartment, so I need some replacement fuses.  While I'm at it, I'd like to get some spare fuses for the battery side too.  The external power side fuse is 0.5A and the battery side fuse is 2.0A.  These fuses are tiny...maybe slightly bigger than a grain of rice...perhaps 1/4 inch in length and 1/16 inch square as you look at it from the end. 

Does anybody know what might be the brand and model of these fuses, and where to buy them? 

Thanks in advance.

(Note that although Radio Shack has tiny fuses with the same amperage as I need, the ones Radio Shack sells aren't the same design and won't fit.)

Offline dennisrtyler

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Schoeps VMS5U Fuses...Anybody Know Where to Buy?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 12:32:55 PM »
probably be best to just give Jerry at Posthorn a call in the morning, unless, of course, David chimes in beforehand.
4. im so abrasive i make sandpaper nervous.

Schoeps CMR/mk4 > Naiant PFA > Oade Concert Mod Marantz PMD-661

stevetoney

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 12:36:18 PM »
Thanks Dennis.  Do you think Posthorn or Redding would be the 'go-to' source for info like this...or perhaps even an email directly to Schoeps service.  Maybe the answer is 'yes' for all three.  Actually, I need to place an order anyway, so I think I'll try Redding first.

Offline dennisrtyler

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 12:41:16 PM »
you can't go wrong with Jerry or Redding.
4. im so abrasive i make sandpaper nervous.

Schoeps CMR/mk4 > Naiant PFA > Oade Concert Mod Marantz PMD-661

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 01:00:12 PM »
I've always heard you could screw a penny in where the fuse goes ;)

Once you have the spec you might find it cheaper to get a package.   I see two listed on the posthorn site, one 2A and one 500mA.  Maybe it has two?  One is to protect against wrong-polarity supply issues  (other vendors could learn from that nice Schoeps attention to detail).

stevetoney

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 05:29:08 PM »
I've always heard you could screw a penny in where the fuse goes ;)

Once you have the spec you might find it cheaper to get a package.   I see two listed on the posthorn site, one 2A and one 500mA.  Maybe it has two?  One is to protect against wrong-polarity supply issues  (other vendors could learn from that nice Schoeps attention to detail).

I agree about your comment about Schoeps attention to detail!

The VMS5U has two fuses and you're correct one is 2A and one is 500mA.  i'm thinking they're both to protect against polarity issues.  If you open the battery compartment of the preamp, there's a diagram that shows battery locations and the direction for inserting the batteries.  The diagram also shows the location of the fuses, which are accessible from the battery compartment.  The 2A fuse is for the battery side of the powering circuit.  The 500mA fuse is for the external power side of the circuit.  What is awesome is that Schoeps also included a spare slot in which to store one of each size fuse.  So if you happen to be in the field and accidentally blow one of the fuses, all you'd need is a pair of needle nose or tweezers to remove the blown fuse and install the spare!

FWIW, in regards to you penny statement, I did in fact jumper the ends of one of the blown fuses in order to get me operational until I get a replacement.   ;)

I called Redding and they'll direct ship me replacements for $2.50 each. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com