Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MBHO> Deneke rig comments  (Read 9573 times)

Offline bayouav

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
MBHO> Deneke rig comments
« on: August 06, 2003, 12:56:54 PM »
Just got together a second "stunt" rig and was wondering if anyone may be running the same:
MBHO603a>PS-2>AD-20>D8/DA-P1
Any comments / pitfalls to avoid would be appreciated.

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
Re:MBHO> Deneke rig comments
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2003, 01:43:57 PM »
what is a stunt rig?

That should sound nice, psp2 will warm up those MBHO's nicely
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2003, 02:04:04 PM »
what is a stunt rig?

I think he's using a PS-2, not PSP-2.  Only tip I have on MBHO > PS-2 is they'll kill the PS-2 battery fast.  Make sure you switch between sets.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2003, 02:16:15 PM »
You may want to get some attenuators (switchable Shure work) for the AD-20 because the preamp in that will overload under high SPL conditions.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline bayouav

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2003, 12:35:09 PM »
Thanks for your input guys. The stunt rig is just a smaller rig used for local bands/jams, the Deneke products replace an MP-2 and ACD-20 in my main rig.BTW, anyone have suggestions/alternatives to 9v's for powering the  Deneke duo?

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2003, 12:54:49 PM »
what is a stunt rig?

I think he's using a PS-2, not PSP-2.  Only tip I have on MBHO > PS-2 is they'll kill the PS-2 battery fast.  Make sure you switch between sets.

opppss, I can read :P
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2003, 01:18:30 PM »
The stunt rig is just a smaller rig used for local bands/jams, the Deneke products replace an MP-2 and ACD-20 in my main rig.

This obviously begs the question: why not just run your main rig?

BTW, anyone have suggestions/alternatives to 9v's for powering the  Deneke duo?

If I recall correctly, the Denecke stuff needs > 6v.  You could pretty easily put together a 9.6v, 3000mAH RC battery pack.  Check the Archival Section for info.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

cpclark

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2003, 06:24:42 PM »
i run the ad20 with some hot audio technica mics, i use the AT attenuator, has a -10, -20, -30 db switch, just used it camden->IT and it worked flawlessy, never overloaded my ad20 once, it really extends the range of the preamp and makes it a solid all in one box

cpclark

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2003, 06:26:53 PM »
i also ran the mp-2>adc20 with my mics and found that the ad20 is very transparent, its no V3 but the same idea, just beware that the bass response on the ad20 is good, but doesnt compare to the mp2's bass, just thought this would help, if you wanted comparison tapes, i have them for both nights of camden, mp2>adc20 first night and ps-2>ad20 for the second night, let me know through pm

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2003, 11:13:00 AM »
The AD-20 isn't really that bad! I'd like to hear some higher end mics > AD-20 tapes if anyone has some.
A

Offline dank

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • cold irons bound
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2003, 11:44:24 AM »
Ive got some 4021>PS2>AD-20>DAT tapes. I'll toss one on my server later and make a login for people to check out.
Mics: DPA 4021, AT 933, AKG CK31, CK32
Pre:  Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Oade ACM PMD660, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-2D, Sony PCM-M10[x2]
DIME List: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=919941

Offline jlykos

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2003, 12:53:22 PM »
The AD-20 isn't really that bad! I'd like to hear some higher end mics > AD-20 tapes if anyone has some.
A

I really like the AD-20 myself, but higher-end mics begin to expose its limitations.  I made some beautiful Derek Trucks tapes with it and some incredibly poor Disco Biscuits tapes when the preamp overloaded throughout the show; each was made with Gefells.  My moe. tapes are some of the best I have ever made for like 95% of the show; the preamp overloaded for the other 5%.

Higher-end mics expose a very bright tinge in the upper frequency and thinness of bass, especially really deep bass.  The midrange was very good, but not as detailed as with a higher-end preamp.  As a straight A/D converter, I give it an A-.  As a preamp, it gets a C-.  E-mail back if you want to hear anything with M210 > BPS-1 > AD-20 > D8.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2003, 01:54:04 PM »
Yeah, I shit on the AD-20 constantly (to which Schwilly can attest) but it is a decent unit and excellent for the price. The pre is exactly as Jamie (and I and many others in the past) described. A high pass filter is almost necessary (not preferable, but necessary) to keep the pre from bricking at shows.
It can't be tooooooo difficult to bypass the AD-20 pre stage, can it? We seriously need to figure out a way to do that because the AD in the inbox is quite nice. A-, as Jamie says, seems about right to me.

Offline Stumptown Matt

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a happy tapir!
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2003, 03:53:01 PM »
I have never overloaded my AD-20 but I have never used real hot mics.  
When cleaning out her attic, Grace found several bootleg recordings her mother had made while traveling around the world with the Grateful Dead. Grace is not permitted to sell these bootleg recordings on eBay.

"If you like the Beach Boys, you'll love Widespread Panic."    -Big Mike

"Music Sounds Better on Grass" -Clear Channel advertising

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2003, 03:56:36 PM »
Give it a little unpadded bass from CSBs or these here 4061s and you'll brick from now till the cows come home...

Offline jlykos

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2003, 04:26:53 PM »
A high pass filter is almost necessary (not preferable, but necessary) to keep the pre from bricking at shows.
It can't be tooooooo difficult to bypass the AD-20 pre stage, can it?

You don't need a HPF for the AD-20; you do need some sort of attenuation that can give you like -20db or -30db.

You cannot bypass the preamp stage.  Denecke offers a -17db attenuation cable that negates the "minimum" gain in the preamp (it goes from like 17 to 65), but you are just using an attenuator cable then.

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2003, 04:32:34 PM »
An HPF attenuates those low frequencies to prevent the pre overloading from those frequencies. Know what I'm sayin'? Use an HPF in front of the preamp... this is in addition to the usual attenuation. 15 - 20 dB has worked fine for me.
And why exactly can't we bypass the preamp stage?

Offline jlykos

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2003, 04:52:57 PM »
Yes, a HPF will provide attenuation, but only at the lower frequencies.  If you want smooth, across the board attenuation, a cable or the Shure connectors will do.

I have no idea why one can't bypass the preamp stage, but I called around once to see if anybody could do it and it basically wasn't worth their time to figure it out.

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2003, 04:58:39 PM »
Yes, a HPF will provide attenuation, but only at the lower frequencies.  If you want smooth, across the board attenuation, a cable or the Shure connectors will do.

Precisely.

I have no idea why one can't bypass the preamp stage, but I called around once to see if anybody could do it and it basically wasn't worth their time to figure it out.

That's kinda too bad. Is there any Mr. Cool Guy around here willing/able to do figure it out?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.107 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com