Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Matrix with Inserts?  (Read 3339 times)

Roving Sign

• Trade Count: (0)
Matrix with Inserts?
« on: March 10, 2006, 07:41:13 AM »
My preamp has inserts on each channel. No gain - just a TRS insert.

Can I just run a soundboard signal in on the return? As long as I can control the level from the board it should be fine...?

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
Re: Matrix with Inserts?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 09:22:26 AM »
Can you reliably monitor the resulting mixed signal?
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

Offline cleantone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 11:52:16 AM »
I'm a little groggy right now but it might be the case that the return from the insert would bypass your preamp. The signal is obviously supposed to come out to some outboard gear and back in on the same jack. So if your trying to return a second source it might cut out the origional source. It might also depend on how the unit is built. You should try it out at home to know for sure.
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline blastroknow

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • you can fight about love all you want
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 02:49:53 PM »
I'm thinking if you have the TRS cable plugged into the insert jack on your pre it is going to be interrupting your preamp input signal completely.
Core-sound HEB 4060s > iRiver h120
or
AT853 > AT8531 > ToddR mod SBM-1 > iRiver h120

Roving Sign

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 03:00:47 PM »
Ahh - when in doubt RTFM!

The 1/4” TRS Insert jack (Tip=SEND and Ring=RETURN), will allow you to add an effects loop directly into the signal path of the 386. This insertion point is located after the tube section and prior to the output section. This insertion positioning is ideal for adding external effects such as a compressor or an EQ to the analog and digital output sections.

Still a little unclear...

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 01:07:54 AM »
My preamp has inserts on each channel. No gain - just a TRS insert.

Can I just run a soundboard signal in on the return? As long as I can control the level from the board it should be fine...?

No, you cannot.
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2006, 12:07:37 AM »
Most insert jacks are ring tip sleeve they have normalizing switches built into the jack so that when something is plugged into them they expect to see a return depending on where the send is if its on the ring or the tip you can cheat. Use a mono jack and plug it in part way so that it does not make the contacts in the jack break. Then you will get signal from that point that can be used as an output the level is usually -10 or +4 depending on who made the console and what its primary use is. As far as inserting a compressor on your preamp that is what that jack is for or an eq more often the not you would want your compressor after the insert and after the final stage of the preamp so I would say that insert is more for an EQ then anything else.

Chris Church

Ahh - when in doubt RTFM!

The 1/4” TRS Insert jack (Tip=SEND and Ring=RETURN), will allow you to add an effects loop directly into the signal path of the 386. This insertion point is located after the tube section and prior to the output section. This insertion positioning is ideal for adding external effects such as a compressor or an EQ to the analog and digital output sections.

Still a little unclear...
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2006, 04:35:57 PM »
I have made special jacks for this purpose that short tip to ring on the 1/4" stereo plugs. They tap off that short and go out to a standard mono 1/4" plug tip. Connect the sheild at both ends and you are set. This is the best way to accomplish what you want to do. Unless of course you want to put an RCA end on it rather than the mono 1/4" connector.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2006, 08:14:08 PM »
Thats a good idea you just have to remember that some times its a good idea to stick a 100 ohm resistor in series with your connection to your recorder this will help with the unbalanced cable run in a op amp driven insert jack.

Chris Church

I have made special jacks for this purpose that short tip to ring on the 1/4" stereo plugs. They tap off that short and go out to a standard mono 1/4" plug tip. Connect the sheild at both ends and you are set. This is the best way to accomplish what you want to do. Unless of course you want to put an RCA end on it rather than the mono 1/4" connector.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 07:41:59 AM »
There is some bad advice in this thread...  You can use your insert to add 2 more channels, however you will be using the tip and not the ring.  When tapping the insert (to pull a signal FROM a console), you use the ring.  By making a shorted trs cable, you would be pushing a signal at the in AND out at the same time... not good, and I'm pretty sure this spells feedback on most inserts.  By hanging a cable 1/2 way out of the jack (I recomend NOT doiing this incase it gets bumped) you will be pushing a signal into the out... not good and useless.
     To add a 2nd stereo signal you can simply use a t/s (mono or unbalanced) 1/4" cable pushed all the way in.  Keep in mind that you will have to keep your line level source at a max of -3db (same with your mics) and you will have no ability to mix the level of the return feed.  An inexpensive line mixer would give you some control over the feed so you could mix it...

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2006, 09:37:33 AM »
Here is a stupid question why do you need to go thru the preamp if you have control over the send on the console?
Why not go into the recording device directly? Is it because you are mixing mics as well? if so why not just use a small mixer and mix the signal togeather into the recording device?

matrix in taping  means mics + 2chan board

I'm not saying you can't hang the jack Chris, I'm just saying that that is how you tap the send NOT the return, and you are risking a bump, and it won't work.  Just push a mono plug all the way in and you are golden in this case.  Yes many consoles have sep in/out returns... midas, yamaha, and some crest consoles FME, and I'm sure there are others.  Not typically on a 2 chan pre though.  With my small Mackie board I can not use a shorted trs jack to tap the return.  It cancels itself out or shuts itself down.  However I comonly use a shorted trs for taping the send.
     It may be true you have lots of field experience in FOH and maybe some in recording, but when it comes to taping you would be best to occasionally listen to the people here as we specialize in workarounds that most studio guys, and foh guys don't know.  Open you mind and your ears some Chris and quit being such a know-it-all.

Matt

**edit** Chris deleted his posts so my rant is no longer relavant

« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 10:21:51 AM by mmmatt »
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com