Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recorder for home use  (Read 5491 times)

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
Re: Recorder for home use
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2020, 10:15:09 AM »
I was just coming in to suggest Raspberry Pi but see heathen has done so.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline Martinez Llorca

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2020, 10:58:07 AM »
Raspberry is a two-edge sword.

To start with the internal power supply is all DC-DC and certainly affects the analog audio quality.

So better not use that DAC that plugs into it.

The option is the one I used for my audio network, which is just using the Raspberry for the ethernet interface, converting the signal to USB and then a proper DAC, like a Topping D50, on the USB output.

The problem then is the program you will use to control the whole thing, which are not there many options.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2020, 11:01:54 AM »
I'm confused. He/you want this done on a budget but are very concerned about audio quality? Those two usually have a hard time reconciling. Good luck with your search. Hope he/you find something that works for you/him.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)

Offline Martinez Llorca

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2020, 11:24:34 AM »
Sorry, but top quality is a no negotiable demand. I thought I made that clear.

And if you pick your units carefully you can have both.

If the Tascam I had thought of could have had a host USB interface, adding a Topping D50 DAC would end up in $300, which would be a nice budget price.

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2020, 06:02:51 PM »
Raspberry is a two-edge sword.

To start with the internal power supply is all DC-DC and certainly affects the analog audio quality.

So better not use that DAC that plugs into it.

The option is the one I used for my audio network, which is just using the Raspberry for the ethernet interface, converting the signal to USB and then a proper DAC, like a Topping D50, on the USB output.

The problem then is the program you will use to control the whole thing, which are not there many options.

The Raspberry Pi has proven to be fully capable of bit-perfect playback, so I'm not sure what the concern is here.  I could link you more information if you want.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline Martinez Llorca

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2020, 07:31:23 PM »
I do not doubt of the Raspberry bit-perfect playback capability. That's why I bought one, and enjoyed many hours of listening to it.

What I say is it has poor quality if you use it as an analog player, powering the the DAC with the Raspberry power supply.

I use it just to convert the ethernet network signal into usb, and then a quality DAC for the analog output.

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2020, 08:26:43 PM »
I do not doubt of the Raspberry bit-perfect playback capability. That's why I bought one, and enjoyed many hours of listening to it.

What I say is it has poor quality if you use it as an analog player, powering the the DAC with the Raspberry power supply.

I use it just to convert the ethernet network signal into usb, and then a quality DAC for the analog output.

We might have a disconnect here. There are DACs that are essentially integrated into the Pi.  Tests have shown the capability of that setup.  It's fully capable of playback that's as accurate as any other DAC.  If you have any doubts I can link you to actual measurements.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline Martinez Llorca

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2020, 10:00:28 PM »
No, we do not have a disconnect here, but we may be about to have is a disagreement. Which I wouldn't like to get into.

Of course I have seen the DACs that plug directly into the Raspberry Pi, and the comments I have read about them on listening tests compared to the same Rasp Pi with external DAC were not very good ones for the former ones. Integrated DACs were systematically lower in subjective audio quality.

I do not want to get into a discussion over this, because in my experience it gets you nowhere.

The only thing I would like to be able to see is if anyone has tried the USB interface on the recorders connecting an external DAC to it, and see if the DAC sees it as a host.

If that is not possible I will abandon this search with recorders.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
Recorder for home use
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2020, 10:26:17 PM »
Ouch. I hope the tone I'm reading is simply English as a second language coming across much harsher than intended.

Link to LMA Recordings

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2020, 04:09:26 AM »
OK. HOw about going with HIgh Res player only, loading the files on from PC or SD card reader?
I only have experience with fiio, but they are good players which play high res files.
https://www.fiio.com/player
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline Martinez Llorca

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2020, 06:40:19 AM »
Ouch. I hope the tone I'm reading is simply English as a second language coming across much harsher than intended.

I'm sorry if my answer sounded harsh, because that was not my intention. You have been helping me a lot with my query, so it would be far from me to be harsh, particularly with heathen.

Maybe I misunderstood his expression that we might have a "disconnect" over this matter. I thought he thought I was not understanding what he was proposing, and I just said that it seemed I did. And that it seemed this conversation might turn into a discussion about the sound quality of a Raspberry Pi with its own DAC socketed in versus a Rasp with an external DAC. I did research that option for me several months ago, when I was assembling my own audio streamer.

Yes, a high resolution player, like the fiio, does seem to be a very valid option, in fact the first I had thought before recorders coming to my mind. The question is to pick the right model, as from feedback I see from fiio users in Amazon, only the very expensive models seem to fulfill audio high quality demands.

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2020, 05:33:00 PM »
The Fiio and Shanling are two great companies producing amazing hi res players that works both standalone as well as DACs and Bluetooth.

Offline kuba e

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2020, 08:19:28 AM »
Rory, it is nice from you that you are aware that non native speakers can do easily faux pas. My English is bad so first I must make sentence in my native language and then translate it into English. Unfortunately, there are many sentences that sounds good in my language but sounds harsh in English. It is easier now - the Google translator is great help, but still it can't fix everything. When I was little it was written about these tools in sci-fi books only.

At home, I am using NAS (a network drive) connected via wifi to the old Roku SoundBridge. Roku is connected to my stereo via it's analog output.  I am sure there must be some new hifi replacement for the Roku. Jerryfreak mentioned Chromecast, it looks very interesting.

Also I read recently about an android application that allows you to connect your smartphone phone to an external sound card and record at a high bit rate. I haven't a smartphone, I cant test it. But maybe it could be very interesting alternative for our recorders -  a multi inputs soundcard with external power and self phone. And maybe it would also work for a quality playback as well.
http://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/products/usb-audio-recorder-pro
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 08:29:04 AM by kuba e »

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2020, 05:06:43 PM »
^ Personally, I think your English is quite good. Maybe not 100% perfect, but always comprehensible...

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2020, 02:09:33 PM »
Tascam DR-680 with coaxial SPDIF/AES digital output is generally available used for $250-300, new for around $500.  It's a solid machine.  There are others with digital out but not sure if currently available or priced less.

Here's a listing for new one for $321 (disclaimer, I've never heard of this vendor and cannot vouch for them)-  https://www.greentoe.com/product/Tascam_DR-680MKII_Portable_Multichannel_Recorder_DR-680MK2?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&utm_content=DR-680MK2&price=321
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com