Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ZOOM teasing a new recorder?  (Read 9224 times)

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: ZOOM teasing a new recorder?
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2016, 09:21:10 AM »
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2016, 09:23:38 AM »
I think the whole idea here is to phase out the "H5" - which seems to have no reason to exist - and is poorly named.

H4 - 4 channels
H6 - 6 channels
H5 - ??? Im sure they got tired of explaining that!

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2016, 12:00:41 PM »
The claim about the preamps being an upgrade is encouraging, but the limitation to 24/48 for four channel recording (as for the current H4N model and the H5) makes this way less interesting for me.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2016, 12:24:48 PM »
Well, at least they rubberized it...

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2016, 06:55:49 PM »
The claim about the preamps being an upgrade is encouraging, but the limitation to 24/48 for four channel recording (as for the current H4N model and the H5) makes this way less interesting for me.

It seems pretty odd to make a "pro" version of something and upgrade the preamps but not the DSP.  This unit looks like a pretty weak effort considering what they did with the F8.  Yes, that's a different target audience and price bracket, but I think only serious Zoom devotees would be interested in this.  It's also not keeping pace with the 4 channel recorders from Tascam who are the main competition for this type of recorder.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline matahaka

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2016, 04:40:03 AM »

This new product should make you happy then: 最高24bit/96kHzハイレゾ音質のリニアPCMレコーディングが可能です。

I don't read japanese but i am guessing it says recording up to 24/96!

Offline Jonmac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2016, 05:51:14 AM »
Specs here on the Zoom web site.

https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/field-video-recording/field-recording/zoom-h4n-pro-handy-recorder

Personally, I can't see the point in this new machine.

The 3.5 mic in socket is in the  wrong place on the back, making it difficult to lie it on it's back with a plug in.

Combined Phones/line out socket, can't feed headphones and a camera at the same time.

+4db line level not supported.

I don't think that this is an H5 killer.

Zoom H1, Zoom H2, Zoom H6, Tascam DR-40, Tascam Dr-05, Homebrew mic's, C2 Cardioids

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2016, 06:51:29 AM »

This new product should make you happy then: 最高24bit/96kHzハイレゾ音質のリニアPCMレコーディングが可能です。

I don't read japanese but i am guessing it says recording up to 24/96!

See the emphasis from WiFiJeff's quote above.  24/96 is only possible in 2-channel.

What's even worse is that according to the official page, separate mono tracks in MTR mode are limited to 16/44.1.

Here's my favorite quote from Zoom:
Welcome to the new gold standard in field recording.
:facepalm:

So, this recorder can only record 4 channels if 2 of them are the onboard mics.  And for someone really using it as a "field recorder" where they need separate ISO mono tracks, they're limited to 16/44.1.  Great job, Zoom. :clapping:
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2016, 07:57:47 AM »
Well it uses AAs not AAAs, which made no sense for runtime.  And the specs listing on the Zoom site don't clearly state whether it does 24/96 for four tracks or not.  For SD card timing purposes, they only give the example of 4 tracks at 24/48. 

You can plug a line-in feed or PIP mic into the 1/8" stereo input near the internal mics and do genuine 4 track, I think.

I was hoping, too, for F8 grade preamps and A/D, love that machine.  I did see someone last night using an H6 for an official recording of a chamber music recital, maybe those pres are okay.

If Zoom answers me that 24/96 X 4 is possible, I may bite on this.

Jeff

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2016, 10:24:45 AM »
Official word from Zoom:

"Hello,
Thank you for contacting us with your question. The H4nPro can record up to 24/48 in 4CH mode.
In STEREO mode, you can record up to 24/96

Let me know if you have any further questions."

Points for Zoom on the fast response time.  Game, set, match to the competition on the lame design.

Jeff

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2016, 11:57:02 AM »
Okay, this gets weirder.  The Trew Audio web page for this recorder has the following info on the pre-record function:

"One second when recording at 96k in 4CH mode"

So it prerecords 4CH at 96kH but it doesn't record 4CH at 96kH??????  Waiting to hear back from Zoom on this one.

Well it uses AAs not AAAs, which made no sense for runtime.  And the specs listing on the Zoom site don't clearly state whether it does 24/96 for four tracks or not.  For SD card timing purposes, they only give the example of 4 tracks at 24/48. 

You can plug a line-in feed or PIP mic into the 1/8" stereo input near the internal mics and do genuine 4 track, I think.

I was hoping, too, for F8 grade preamps and A/D, love that machine.  I did see someone last night using an H6 for an official recording of a chamber music recital, maybe those pres are okay.

If Zoom answers me that 24/96 X 4 is possible, I may bite on this.

Jeff

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2016, 04:51:55 PM »
Alas!

"Hello,
Thank you for bringing this to our attention; this is a typo on their website. It should read, “One second when recording at 96k in STEREO mode”"

Okay, this gets weirder.  The Trew Audio web page for this recorder has the following info on the pre-record function:

"One second when recording at 96k in 4CH mode"

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2016, 09:54:39 AM »
Also from Trew Audio site:

"In 4CH MODE, you can record with the built-in X/Y mics and two external inputs simultaneously, great for getting live room sound and a stereo board feed at the same time."

It doesn't sound like you can record from four external inputs at once.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com