Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Oops -- Omni and Figure 8, together  (Read 1766 times)

Offline vwmule

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
Oops -- Omni and Figure 8, together
« on: August 21, 2011, 02:29:04 PM »
At the Hot August Blues festival yesterday outside Baltimore I ran the LSD2 in my go-to format, Blumlein. Or I thought I did. Turns out the switch on capsule was omni, while the other was figure 8. I've essentially created a mid-side record, right? I was wondering why the right channel (omni) was running significantly lower than the left and regret not checking the switches.

So what do I do?

Also ran Milabs: http://www.archive.org/details/rrb2011-08-20&reCache=1

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
Re: Oops -- Omni and Figure 8, together
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 02:45:20 PM »
When recording the Mid Side components directly the following convention is used:

The Mid (ie: card, hyper, omni, shotgun) channel = the left channel of the recorder.

The Side (always a fig-8) channel = the right channel of the recorder.

Thus, it looks like you would need to swap channels then use a mid-side plug-in to create the desired stereo spread in post.

However, you may not actually have them reversed because the side (fig-8) channel most generally has a lower level compared to the mid channel.  This is normal because the mid channel is pointed at the center of the sound source and the side channel is picking up off-axis sound from the L-R sides of the room or hall (recording space).

Good luck, it may turn out to be a happy accident.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 02:47:08 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline vwmule

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 03:20:59 PM »
Ah, I'll check again, maybe it was the Figure 8 on the right side.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 04:51:07 PM »
In identifying which is which, you should see more of a low frequency roll-off on the channel using the figure 8. 

Consider is that if you setup the mics for Blumlein, the Mid/Side array is rotated 45 degrees from away from the direction it should be pointed. The more Side you add the more you'll move towards two cardioids, one facing forwards 45 degrees to the left of right of center (which way depends on which cap was switched to omni) and the other one 180 degrees away from that, pointing to the opposite back corner.

Try various Mid/Side ratios including combinations you normally be less likely to use, like almost all Mid (slightly opening up the mono omni) or almost all Side (opposed hyper cardiods), both of which will have lots of cross-talk between channels.  If you have the inclination to mess around more deeply to get the best result you can, it might help to carefully EQ each side differently to compensate if the timbre differences between sides is a problem.. and to try different decoding ratios for each side, like closer to omni on the Left and hypercardiod facing forward on the Right or something like that. 
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 04:53:09 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com