Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Omni Bass Overload...On stage omni help...  (Read 1710 times)

hexyjones

• Trade Count: (0)
Omni Bass Overload...On stage omni help...
« on: October 03, 2004, 07:39:35 AM »
I ran a pair of AT10r Omnidirectional Condenser mics on stage this weekend. Hexbelt - guitar driven rock...

The mics only run on phantom power - have an max SPL of 130. These are about 20 years old.

The levels looked good...but there is a lack of dimension to the recording....and there is occasional bass distortion. To me it sounds like analog channel blow out. I'm using a Yamaha mixer as my pre-section. I keep the trimmers low - so there is no red clips. That gets fed to a Flying Calf A/D...I assume that the only penalty for going from 24 to 16 bits is a higher noise floor...??

The mics do seem to be very bass sensitive...I taped Railroad Earth in an fairly ambient room(FOB)...the bass is incredibly concussive.

Should I be using some sort of pad or attenuator?

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
Re: Omni Bass Overload...On stage omni help...
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2004, 09:58:25 AM »
sounds like you need some sort of high pass filter...not sure if your equipment has one...the one on the V3 kicks ass
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Tim

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2004, 10:34:27 AM »
yes, a high pass filter...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

hexyjones

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2004, 11:02:05 AM »
I also don't have shockmounts on these...so is vibration/resonance is a possible factor?

Offline Tim

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2004, 11:06:45 AM »
yes, you should shockmount them. that will "tighten" the bass up a bit, but a HPF is really what you need.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

hexyjones

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2004, 11:12:52 AM »
My mixer has a button for that...I did actually turn it on for a moment...I'll have to try to locate that moment - (during opener)

Offline Tim

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2004, 11:40:58 AM »
okay, do you have the manual? Do you know at what frequency it engages and what the slope of the rolloff is?

it appears that your mixer has a 3band EQ on each channel, you could use the low frequency rolloff on the channel strip instead of the HPF. What's the slope of the roll off on the low frequency?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com